Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you follow the post fill diet and why is it necessary?

Hi,

I received my third fill yesterday. I was a little disappointed that he only gave me 0.4. He said because I still had regurgitation episodes and a little reflux and my weight loss was 8 pounds in 10 weeks (okay, not great). Anyway, My total now is 4.9 in a 15 cc band. I have lost a total of 30 pounds (started 218).

My question is why the liquids/mushies for so long and do you guys follow this? Yesteday, I was on Clear liquids although I sneaked a little Peanut Butter when making my kid a sandwich. Today I'm supposed to be on full liquids. I haven't cheated yet but I'm hungry !!! Tomorrow is blended foods, next day mushies and finally on the 5th day, regular foods.

Do others find this hard to follow? Why is this necessary? Will something bad happen if I don't follow. I got only a small fill.

I am not totally sure why that all is other than to keep from agitating the stomach and or making it contract.

My doctor just requires 24 hours of liquid after a fill but he also includes creamed Soups with no chunks.

My doc also only puts me on liquids for 24 hours. Every doctor is different, and every post-fill diet is different. I really recommend just sticking to what he says. He obviously has chosen your post-fill diet for a reason and he IS the doctor. I know you're hungry, but at least you'll probably shed a few extra pounds...which IS what we're aiming for, right?

Plus, I think with the slower post-fill diet, you give your body more time to figure out what and how to eat on the front end....instead of having episodes of getting stuck and learning to work backwards with your band and fill.

Stick with your doc---you'll be fine!

My doc requires 48 hours of liquids after a fill. He says that it is because your stomach swells after getting a fill and food can get stuck easier. By letting your swelling go down you have less of a chance of PB'ing (vomiting) and therefore less risk in slippage. I would certainly follow your doctor's orders. I have and always will advocate that.

Thanks For All The Well Wishes For My Surgery Tomorrow. Sorry, I Haven't Figured Out How To Reply To The Personal Wishes, I Just Get Them Via Email. I Have To Be There At 5:30am. And Surgery Isn't Until 8:30, Wonder Why So Early??? Anyone Else Had To Be There 3 Hrs Early?? Jdrocks226

Guest ZenGarden

My doctor suggests one day of liquids, one day of mushies, then back on regular foods as tolerated on day 3. According to him, this allows your stomach ample time to re-adjust itself to foods again, although (again, according to him), you COULD eat food right after an adjustment if you can tolerate it.

My Dr states that you can eat after a fill but I apparently cant tolerate so I am back on liquids. I just posted a thread about the hell I went through. Hoping that all is well from here on.

My Dr. requires Clear Liquids and Slim Fast for the 4 days after your fill, then soft foods for 4 more days - then to regular foods as tolerated.

I follow his instructions - BUT, I usually go to thicker liquids on day 3. I know - I am such a rebel!

He said the liquid/soft diet is so that your stomach has time to adjust after being tightened. If you eat something that irritates it too soon - and end up having to have an unfill - it will take longer to get to your sweet spot.

I do liquids for a day, then soft foods for a day then regular. He recommends a day for liquids, a day for mushies, and a day for soft foods, then regular... but they did say to do what I feel is best and don't have firm guidelines, just suggestions. I've never experienced any problems with my method and it seems to work well. I do my fills in the mornings and I always drink a shake for Breakfast, so I guess I really do liquids for 1.5 days. :tongue2:

Edited by MrsFlipFlops

My doc says to eat mushies after a fill and only do liquids if the mushies are a problem. I've always been able to eat mushies without a problems the day of the fill. That being said it always best to follow your doc's instructions. He knows more about your situation than we do.

Good luck!

I am so stinkin jealous of you guys! I wish my Dr. was this lenient.

I feel like I am back in High School - but Tammy's Mom lets her do it!

my doc tells me to do liquids for a WEEK after a fill! then mushies for the WEEK after that! and then back to regular foods...personally the thought of Soup makes my stomach turn...so i kinda do a mushie/liquid diet...cream of wheat...carnation...yogurt...and then when i can no longer stand that then i try some food with texture.

that is all too funny! i am not filled yet but 3 weeks out and still on mushies, and i never thought i could get sick of creamed Soups, mashed potatoes and pudding, BUT I AM DYING FOR A VEGETABLE, LOL!

that is all too funny! i am not filled yet but 3 weeks out and still on mushies, and i never thought i could get sick of creamed Soups, mashed potatoes and pudding, BUT I AM DYING FOR A VEGETABLE, LOL!

Make some vegetable Soup and pull out the veggies and puree them. Add a bit of parmesan cheese and it is wonderful! One of the things that I ate during this time. I added a litle unflavored Protein powder as well, but you could also blend in some white Beans for Protein as well. Just make sure all the veggies are cooked really well.

Hi,

I received my third fill yesterday. I was a little disappointed that he only gave me 0.4. He said because I still had regurgitation episodes and a little reflux and my weight loss was 8 pounds in 10 weeks (okay, not great). Anyway, My total now is 4.9 in a 15 cc band. I have lost a total of 30 pounds (started 218).

My question is why the liquids/mushies for so long and do you guys follow this? Yesteday, I was on Clear Liquids although I sneaked a little Peanut Butter when making my kid a sandwich. Today I'm supposed to be on full liquids. I haven't cheated yet but I'm hungry !!! Tomorrow is blended foods, next day mushies and finally on the 5th day, regular foods.

Do others find this hard to follow? Why is this necessary? Will something bad happen if I don't follow. I got only a small fill.

Post fill diet? Never heard of such a thing. But I'm sure some doctors have created that for their patients.

Ever had a filling or tooth pulled? You know how for a few hours or a day you shouldn't do this or have that? The band is the same thing. Just for a few hours or a day you should be careful with what you consume.

For me, I didn't have any diet to follow. But I didn't eat anything hard that day.