Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's frustrating in the early phases Nykee...but one thing we can do while waiting to get better restriction is practice as many of the bandster eating habits as possible so they can become more automatic and thus make the transition to more restriction easier. Stuff like prioritizing our foods (Protein first, then produce, then starchier things), taking small bites, putting the fork down between bites, chewing to mush, not drinking with meals or for an hour afterwards, getting in all our Water, taking a daily walk, etc. Sure, your portions won't be as small as when you have restriction but that's ok. Just try to keep them in the range of sensible without feeling ravenous all the time.

Hang in there...it will get easier...

Nancy

394/275/180

I am glad and sad at the same time that I am not the only one here that is having the same problems. I had my surgery feb 3 2005 and I lost 20 pounds from the pre-op diet. My weight kept yo-yoing for the first two months. I had a fill in march that didn't do to good then I had one in may it has a little restriction but not enough. I will probably go for a fill in june. I have only lost 12 more pounds since surgery. I also felt like a failure, but it is taking me time to get used to this tool. I know that I have to take my time and eat sowly. If you eat to fast your not giving your stomach time to tell you that you are full. It is hard but that is the reason why we all had the surgery done to help us eat better and to lose weight. It has been about 4 months since my surgery but I think soon I will get the hang of this.

Hi all- I'm doing much better since I had my third fill in May. I couldn't tell you what I have lost in pounds because I haven't seen a scale in awhile but I can feel the difference. I am not hungry. Once in awhile I will feel a little hungry but a couple bites of anything will take care of the problem. I am pretty restricted at this point. If I want a slice of pizza it has to be small and about half way through I have to throw the crust away or I get sick. When I eat I usually only have about 1 or 2 bites of whatever is on my plate (meat, starch, veggie) and I am done. bread usually makes me sick after the first bite so I stay away from that. Chew, chew, chew... It really does make a difference. Increase your exercise slowly. What I do is walk, I'm slow but I can walk just short of a mile. I know that doesn't sound like much to some of you but I was just about in a wheelchair when I started. It was an effort to walk to the bathroom, know what I mean? I had my surgery 09/23/04 but had some set backs along the way. I feel pretty good about myself today ( that is unusual also). I say please hang in there. If you want it bad enough you will put in the effort that is required to take this weight off. As you go the better you will feel. We all have bad days, but those don't come as often either. I still have about 200# to my goal but instead I try to look at it in terms of what I can do now that I couldn't do last September. I can walk farther, I can put my shoes on without help, I can wear clothes that were too tight before, etc... Have a great day (one day at a time). Cathy

Hi I also had Dr. Ortiz and I live in Washington. I go to Dr. Fox in Tacoma for my fills(195). It's about a 2.5 hour drive for me. I just got my third fill 7/14/05 and Iam so tight that I have a hard time getting coffee down in the morning. I can only get about 3-5 bites of Soup to stay down in the evening. No problem with Water though. Before this fill I could eat anything I wanted, but not as much I was able to at 2.5cc. Now I am at 3.2 and oh boy what a difference. I was also very discouraged,but now Im excited and motivated again. My Dr. says if you can eat Breakfast you need a fill. You should only be able to get a Protein Shake down in the morning. Let me know if you want Dr.Fox's number. He won't be taking Mexico patients much longer because he lowered his price for the band to 12,800.

Good luck

LisaWA

Be careful tho, I know it feels good to be tight but you have to make sure you get your Protein in that you need. If you don't it messes with your immune system and you can have trouble healing even the smallest wound. Not only that but your muscles need some too, along with Potassium and other electrolytes, without which you will end up with muscles loss and cramping. I know how bad we want it to come off fast but one of the positive things about banding vs bypass is the weight comes off more naturally without the problems with malabsorbtion. Being too loose isn't good but being too tight could actually be worse for your health. Please talk to your doctor, you may need to have a small amout of saline removed from the band. If you can't get coffee down there is a problem. Sorry to sound like such a wet blanket but if you lose your health it won't matter if you are skinny or fat. Good luck to you. Cathy

Hi, I was banded 4 weeks ago and now I feel as if I can eat anything. I spk to the dr today and will have my 1st fill next week to 1.5cc. I hope that will help. I haven't been working out everyday but every other day. I am here in Texas,in a suburb outside of Dallas. I have lost 20# so far but I feel as if it will all jump back on anytime.

Guest uphill

I am glad I found this site, I had surgery on 6/10 and my first fill on 7/14 and have only lost 10 lbs. . I have almost no restrictions, and I felt that maybe I was the one person on earth that could break it!

My best friend is at one year after surgery and can not eat much of anything and certian foods are just a memory... with her as my only point of reference I thought I failed once again at a diet / weight loss attempt.

I am looking for all the support I can get feel free to e-mail me at dlhill1307@aol.com to chat.

No, you are not alone. I had my surgery on 4/20/2005 and have only lost 10lbs. I feel as though I have no food restirictions (everything goes down) and I never feel full. I just had my second fill (today as a matter of fact) and the doctor told me this is still an experimental phase. He said they fill in small quantities to make sure you are confortable and to see how your body can handle it. He said he has had patients that have taken 4 fills before getting the "full" feeling. Don't get discourgaed.....I am trying not to!!!! Anne

Hi I also had Dr. Ortiz and I live in Washington. I go to Dr. Fox in Tacoma for my fills(195). It's about a 2.5 hour drive for me. I just got my third fill 7/14/05 and Iam so tight that I have a hard time getting coffee down in the morning. I can only get about 3-5 bites of Soup to stay down in the evening. No problem with Water though. Before this fill I could eat anything I wanted, but not as much I was able to at 2.5cc. Now I am at 3.2 and oh boy what a difference. I was also very discouraged,but now Im excited and motivated again. My Dr. says if you can eat Breakfast you need a fill. You should only be able to get a Protein shake down in the morning. Let me know if you want Dr.Fox's number. He won't be taking Mexico patients much longer because he lowered his price for the band to 12,800.

Good luck

Hi LisaWA, man, how the heck are you going to be able to get in 1200- 1500 calories a day? It sounds like you are way too tight, and that is not a good thing.

If you can only get in a few bites of Soup that means that you are not getting any solid protien.

Sorry, but I think your Dr has a screw loose... Glad to hear that you are motivated again, but you should be able to eat a good bandster breakfast and good bandsters sized meals. If you keep yourself too tight you risk your band and your health.

Like Jessie says, the point of the Band is not surgical bulimia

J. Lynn, you are so inspiring! Thanks for the words of advice...I was reading all these posts and feeling worried because I've only been banded 11 days.... it's great to hear your voice of reason!!!