Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncomfortable at the gym - anyone else?

Okay, it's the end of week three at the new gym and I still feel like I'm not fitting in...rather sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm trying not to pay attention to everyone around me, but I still feel intimidated....I'm frustrated!! :tongue2:

I'm the same way. I always feel like people are staring at me, but I know that this is all in my head. I wish I could say something to help, but I'm facing this too.

I starte going to the gym in Aug 07 at 440lbs. I hated it .

But honestly...moost ppl are too busy with themselves to worry about you. KEEP going. No matter what.

I just finished my first ever Triathlon on Sunday because of going to the gym.

daddy is absolutely correct. Just go, don't worry about what others may think. You aren't there for them, you are there for you.

However, and trust me on this, the more you go and make progress, the more those people will encourage you on. I have worked out so much since my surgery last Aug, I am now considered one of the "regulars". Most of the hardcore people know me at least by face. They talk to each other and make sure to keep each other going.

Also, don't compare yourself to others at the gym. Each person is different and can do different things. This is tough to do, but very important. Just keep looking at the progress you are making and it gets easier. If you look at others doing heavier weights or running/walking faster, you can get discouraged. Be happy for them they can do it and maybe set that as a long term goal.

Good luck and keep at it.:tongue2:

Also, don't assume that people are thinking the worst when looking at you..I use people as my incentive to do better. Nothing gets me working harder than seeing someone larger than me or some senior citizen kicking my butt in the gym!!! I am in complete admiration of people who get out and go jogging and walking--particularly on hot days--who are considerably overweight. If ever I'm staring, it's because I envy your determination and hardwork. Know that people aren't always thinking bad things--that's a change we all need to make. People aren't as critical of us as we are of ourselves.

You're doing great. Keep at it and do what is best for you. Smile and work it out! Three weeks is a great start--just think of the health benefits. It will get easier. Talk with others, if you're so inclined. Sometimes being busy in conversation seems to make everything else going on at the gym disappear. It also makes time pass faster! Don't give up!:tongue2:

Every now and again I feel embarassed at the low weights I lift at the gym however this is soon replaced my a feeling of achievement when I complete my workout for the day. Congratulations on making the start.

Do you have a Curves near you? I've been a member 5 1/2 years and Curves was made for (larger) people like us!

The machines are preset with the weights, which aren't too heavy and you can do anything you want on the aerobic "stations" in between the machines (walk, jog, dance, just move your arms). And it's all women, which is less daunting--our club has an excellent social atmosphere too! (but I do know that some clubs that are all business--with no talking allowed--ugh!)

I also work out 2 days a week at the YMCA and so I know what you mean when you talk intimidation--sometimes the guys can be jerks and think they are the only ones who should be there. I was working out a few weeks ago and four guys were sitting on machines just WATCHING another guy do upright rows on another machine. So when I got to that area and needed a machine a guy was sitting on, I just said "OFF!" to him and he moved. (but I HAVE worked out since 1983, so I'm a little aggressive with those just playing around in the gym--sorry!):tongue2:

If you stick with your program, you'll eventually become comfortable enough with the routine to feel less intimidated. Whatever you decide to do, please keep it up--you will NEVER regret it!:smile:

Okay, it's the end of week three at the new gym and I still feel like I'm not fitting in...rather sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm trying not to pay attention to everyone around me, but I still feel intimidated....I'm frustrated!! :smile:

most gyms will have a "free training assessment". talk to one of the trainers (you don't have to sign up), and get an idea of what you should be doing - get a "how to" on some of the equipment your not familiar with.

...and for those times when you feel self conscious; put your ipod/mp3 player on and get lost in your own routine.

good luck & congrats for getting started!!:tongue2:

i don't like feeling uncomfortable in places like the gym. i think after going a few times, you start recognizing the "regulars" and then pick someone who looks like they're setting a good example. go make friends, tell them that this is new to you and your working to make a new habit and tell them they seem like they've figured this workout thing out--and you'd appreciate their encouragement. i've done this and have NEVER had a negative response. (if it does happen--just PICK SOMEONE ELSE...)

sure, a lot of those people look at us--but i think a lot of times, they might be thinking "gee, i hope that gal (or guy) can stick with it and not just come once or twice and quit" or "gee, if she would just ask me, i could help her or encourage him..." (or like Jack said, so what, let 'em look.)

initiate a conversation--a friendship, maybe--and enlist the help of those regulars. they can't exclude you if you include them first...:smile2:

I belong to a rehab center that is associated with the hospital that I work at, they see outpatient clients, and they have a fitness group that I'm in. We are all in the gym together even though the equipment is divided up. There is something to be said about being on the treadmill, watching others who have suffered strokes, knee injuries, back injuries and even a paraplegic in a wheel chair striving to get back some of their strength. I might be overweight, but am very fortunate for the most part to be able to use all of my body parts. It makes you very humble and want to keep going, because compared to some others I have it easy.

Tess

Don't be embarrassed, EVERYONE, has to start somewhere. I bet your feeling self consious and honestly, probably no one is even paying attention.

GOOD FOR YOU FOR GOING!!! KEEP IT UP AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED!!

Keep going! It will pay off. I joined a gym at the beginning of January and I felt the same way as you. I still feel that way, but I also think I am just as worth it as the rest of the people there.

Remember to dig deep and do your thing and don't worry about anyone but yourself. Remember - this is your journey! :smile2:

I know what you mean, I joined a gym ages ago and I think it was better overall because it was an all womens, with men you tend to be a bit more embarassed but it was better with an all womens, when I was there I would look at people but only cuz I was amazed there legs wouldnt give out on them when they were on the treadmill for an hour lol. I remember one time I was there and there was a rather big woman there - about 150kgs easy - thats like 300lbs I think and I was kinda dissapointed when I watched her - not because of her weight but because she was on the treadmill going turtle pace you know? Like I'm smaller than she was and yes I know that its hard manouvering and going at a fast pace on a treadmill and everything but the pace she was going you could never loose weight going that slow. Good luck with the gym though =)

I know what you mean, I joined a gym ages ago and I think it was better overall because it was an all womens, with men you tend to be a bit more embarassed but it was better with an all womens, when I was there I would look at people but only cuz I was amazed there legs wouldnt give out on them when they were on the treadmill for an hour lol. I remember one time I was there and there was a rather big woman there - about 150kgs easy - thats like 300lbs I think and I was kinda dissapointed when I watched her - not because of her weight but because she was on the treadmill going turtle pace you know? Like I'm smaller than she was and yes I know that its hard manouvering and going at a fast pace on a treadmill and everything but the pace she was going you could never loose weight going that slow. Good luck with the gym though =)

Gosh, Sarah...wasn't that an uplifting thought!?! Go to the gym for health reasons. Don't worry about who is watching. Do it because it will help you to become healthier and essentially feel better, inside and out. Even working out at a snail's pace is better than sitting at home, eating crappy food. Get up off of the computer chair and get moving. If going to a gym is too overwhelming, ask a friend to go with you. I find a treadmill easier because I don't have to worry about walking too far from home and having to hoof it back after! But for each her own. Find something that will allow you to move, whatever it may be. Good luck!