Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dunno how true it is but a few years ago I was in the hosptial for a month for cellulitis & MRSA flareup and the doctor who treated me then told me that seriously obese patients do often stop having periods due to estrogen getting trapped in the fat. So she was suprised mine where so heavy.

My higest weight was 650 at the point I was hospitalized, and I STILL had my periods. But when released from that stay I had lost 50lbs mostly due to the swelling.

But I have an aunt who only hit 300-350 who stoped having them.

but obviously that differs from person to person.

My period before getting band was HORRID FROM HELL!! It got to the point that I half joked when people asked my what my goal weight lose was I said " I want to loose enough weight to have my uterus removed!! ( They never asked a second time) But after losing a good bit of weight I have to say that they have simmered down. I hope it's not a fluke! Time will tell :)

Who knows what weight loss does. I only know that both my sisters are seriously afflicted with endo, one has had 15 laparoscopies and is infertile, my mum had it and had a total hysterectomy at 35, and I seemed to get off scot free. I fell pregnant the instant I wanted to and even without trying to the third time! I had painful periods when I was a teen, but outgrew it and after having my first bub at 28, had over 10 years of symptom free, pain free, PMS free periods. Like clockwork 3 days of light bleeding, over for another 28 days.

Since losing weight my periods have become more and more painful, more and more PMS, and I have begun having exruciating bowel episodes during and before them - seriously worse than labour pains. Also, coincidentally since being banded I developed sciatic problems, which do not involve typical sciatic symptoms such as shooting pain down the leg but a constant hotness, ache and heaviness of my right leg, with a hotness in my right buttock. Its been masked by some gait problems I have which cause pain in my right heel, and I do get occasional sciatic flare ups as most people will if they overdo things but this constant low grade discomfort for 2 solid years, every second of every day has driven me mental. I'm beginning to feel like the sufferers of diseases like fibromyalgia must, with nobody giving credence to their symptons and writing them off as hypochondriacs. I have spent thousands on physios, chiropractors and acupuncture, the acupuncture has cured my heel but done nothign for my leg.

FINALLY, an answer though, maybe. My gynae says its almost 100% certain I have endometriosis, and he believes it has escaped my pelvic cavity and is causing problems on and around my sciatic nerve. I've got to have a laparoscopy later this year (when I have time) and am off for an MRI next week. I cant believe I'm saying so but I actually HOPE its there, because I just want this backpain solved. I'm not thinking WHAT might be done to solve it at this point.

None of this affected me when I was fat, its all happened suddenly since I lost weight, and my gynae agreed that weight loss can cause great hormonal changes and turmoil.

Hello All, I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if this came up. Google: Novasure

I have met some ladies who swear by it. If you have horrid periods and are done with having a family it eliminates periods. They say it was a painless office procedure completed in minutes.

Hello All, I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if this came up. Google: Novasure

I have met some ladies who swear by it. If you have horrid periods and are done with having a family it eliminates periods. They say it was a painless office procedure completed in minutes.

Novasure - Endometrial Ablation, same procedure I mentioned earlier, I'm scheduled July 23rd to get this done. my OB also put me on Sarafem last wk to take only 14days a month (14 days from the start of my period) to control some of the severe PMS symptoms. my emotions have gotten the best of me, i can be raging mad one minute - then cry at a AT&T commercial....no warning & SO not like me.

i'm hoping the combo of the 2 will just nip the aggravation in dealing with PMS & Period Flow......

That happened to me too, it's actually common when you're overweight. I don't think you have too much to worry about, but I would still make sure.

Well, I haven't skipped my period after all. That was the good news. Bad news is it is back with a vengance! :ohmy: I have cramps so bad that it reminds me of high school when they used to make me throw up they hurt so bad! I am really bleeding heavily too. it SUCKS!!!! Anyway, I'm thinking about going on birth control to even it out, since hubby and I have decided to wait a year after the surgery for me to try and get pregnant. Any advice?

How common is it to have a period stop when you weigh so much? This is currently happening to me. My last period (it may have been a miscarriage) lasted for 10 days- the longest I have ever had. and this month...nothing(i took a pregnancy test Sunday, it was negative) I have never missed a period. They are always 2-4 days, and just recently all my cramps have gone away. I'm getting a little worried. :unsure:Not to say that I don't appreciate skipping the bleeding, bloating, and mood swings. I just was wondering how many people have had similar experiences?

I didnt have a period for many years and my Dr told me I was one of the lucky ones that doesnt bleed on implenon, but as soon as I started to lose weight my periods returned so I think it had more to do with my weight than anything else. Now I cant seem to stop them. Has anyone heard of the contraception Mirena? my GP has suggested it instead of implenon to steady my period.

I just popped in to complain....

I just started last night and this morning the cramping is making me want to puke....this one feels like it's going to be a real doozy.

UGH! :grouphug::cursing::lol::cursing::biggrin::cursing:

Well, I haven't skipped my period after all. That was the good news. Bad news is it is back with a vengance! :grouphug: I have cramps so bad that it reminds me of high school when they used to make me throw up they hurt so bad! I am really bleeding heavily too. it SUCKS!!!! Anyway, I'm thinking about going on birth control to even it out, since hubby and I have decided to wait a year after the surgery for me to try and get pregnant. Any advice?

Birth control certainly helps.

Since I have lost weight, even with birth control, my periods have gotten 10 times worse than they were before. I also found that if I miss one pill, even if i take it the following morning, my period starts with all of the increased unpleasantries. I can continue taking my doses every day with only the partial day missed (because I always end of taking it as soon as I realize I missed it) and I still have an uncomfortable period session. I then have it again as soon as I start my off week.

I tried going off birth control and using alternate means of preventing pregnancy to see what that would do to my monthly cycle . . . it was absolutely terrible. It was like going back to the days in middle school where the cramps were sooo bad all I wanted to do was lie in bed and moan.

For you long timers out there who have maintained weight loss for an extended period . . . is this temporary? Is it just exceptionally bad now because excess hormones are being released as the weight comes off? Will it even out once I hit the maintenance phase?

I have Paragard, which is similar to mirena, except that (if i remember correctly, mirena releases hormones while it is also an IUD). I do not plan to have any more children (have 3, 2 who are adults) and I just cannot bring myself to do anything more permanent than an IUD.

I will say the cons of having an IUD, at least for me, is the cramps! I had cramps when i was a teen, but after i hit my 20's (or after i had kids, both at the same time, so I don't know what to attribute it to) i didn't really have cramps to complain about. The Dr. said when he inserted the IUD there would be some pain, like "mild cramping." Bullsh*t! A friend gave me a pain pill it was so bad. And now every month they are awful! (i can actually time them, since cramps are basically contractions)

And, my periods are super heavy now. Until I got used to how much heavier, I ruined a few pairs of pants.

I would have it taken out, hubby suggests it every month seeing what I go through, but i know it is going to hurt to take it back out.

I read info before getting it, but didn't see the "heavier periods" and "more cramping" info until after I got it. (of course)

I do like that i don't have to take a pill every day. And on depo I gained weight like it was cool.

Ugh my last period ended on the 8th of july began on the 1st now I start another period on july 21st lovely LOL

Ugh my last period ended on the 8th of july began on the 1st now I start another period on july 21st lovely LOL

now that's an A$$ whip - i go in wed for the ablation/novasure * hope this period goes bye bye...,

i think i started again because i lost so much weigh this past 2 weeks =/ blah though PERIODS ARE HORRID lol

SOB!!! I have gone 18 months with no period (had a baby 8 months ago and nursed her until last month) but still. damnit! No one throw sticks at me, but I'm not having any cramping, but I never have. But it's been a week of this bs and having to go every 45 mins to change. It sucks! I can't cry too much but wtf?! I've never had regular periods because I've always been overweight, but usually they lasted 2-3 days and wasn't too too heavy. Now it's like my body is trying to make up for lost time! One year I only had 2 periods, but it was nothing compared to this! freakin A if it doesn't stop soon I'm gonna pull my hair out! :biggrin: