Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Thanks Lisa - I will ck it out - he's gone to get shots right now

so it's just me and my babies..

Apples lol - awe you know you love taking care of your DS :0)

Linda - I was going to go to the gym - but decided against it - it's my present to me..

Laura - Poor Nelson - that was too cute..

Well off to watch some t.v. and nap maybe :0)

Apples, college was about the same for me.... I always wanted to be a high school math teacher. But college got away from me and I quit and then went back a few years later and became an accountant.... Worked with that most of my life in some way or another... When Kayla (DD) was 6 I opened a restaurant.... then got married..... and so it goes....but I still do accounting all the time... just no paycheck....

Apples, DS is lucky to have you, too..... glad you are having a good time... Will he come to see you in FL while you are there???

Linda, sounds like Little Greggie is a big peach!!!! We have Lowell I, Lowell II and Lowell III in our family.... DH is I, so son was always called Little Lowell... Now that we have III we call him that.... and then Grandpa and Dad....

Telly, great work... you look wonderful... Thanks for the offer of help.... But what I really want to know is if I can look like you when I'm done???? LOL......... Never happen.... I'm too old and that nice chest would be wasted........... You are lovely and I hope you have a great life... How old are you? Has it been difficult to stay on maintenance???

Laura, too bad about Nelson's hand, but better safe than sorry, is right!!!! He'll handle it fine I'm sure... Nice touch with the cigars for your dad...

Janet, the dogs would drive me crazy, too... Sometimes my cats can do that... If we leave them in the house at night, about 4:00 they really wake up and start running around sounding like a herd of elephants.... That's why they sleep in the garage unless it is really frigid out.... Garage is insulated but not heated... They like it most of the time....

Arlene, I love buying clothes for Mimi, too... Can never pass up a good deal for her.....

Lori, have fun de-stressing in Salt Lake.....

Well, I got 3 batches of Cookies and some banana muffins done and put away. Ready to take some to my little family and the rest in the freezer to get ready to seal up and mail... Want to do some cut-out Valentine ones tomorrow if I feel like it.....

Time to make supper.... You all have a great evening... TTYL................. Julie

Welcome Telly.

I wanted to be a missionary Dr. when I was a kid. Or a writer. But I had this tendancy to round up all the kids (and sometimes their mothers) to play circus and kick-the-can and put on little shows (wrote plays), taught them songs to sing, played a little piano and had the mothers invite each other over for tea to watch our perfomances. Most of them closely resembled church services (without the sermons, thank God) or school programs (I went to Christian schools). When I moved from my neighborhood after 5th grade, one of the other kid's mothers told me the other children didn't know what to do with themselves after I left.

In high school, other kids started asking me for help with their subjects. In college I gravitated towards English and history and because most woman from my background were encouraged to go into nursing or teaching (if they went to college) I ended up teaching with some forays into public relations and fund-raising. Although I'm certified to teach secondary English and history, I sort of fell into the tutoring field and teach supplementary math and reading from grades 1-8, at which I am very gifted. Just yesterday a mother told me her daughter always tells her, "I don't understand the math until Mrs. Flory explains it."

I think I'm a puzzle solver and I see children's learning problems as a puzzle to be solved. Where is the breakdown in understanding occuring? Is there an underlying learning disability? Are they ADHD? What method of instruction works for this child? Do they have better comprehension if they read out loud? If they wear noise-blocking headsets? How can I explain this and demonstrate it so they'll "see" it and remember it? How do I keep their attention and minimize their distractive behaviors so that they can learn? What materials would best suit this child? Is it a comprehension or a computational issue? Etc.

I really fly by the seat of my pants with a lot of this. I just get a sense of the child and leap to an intuitive understanding of what makes them tick and how best to break down the information for them. I think the fact that I love each child and establish a relationship with them also accounts for why they respond so well to my teaching.

Frankly, I'm a self-taught teacher in many ways. I've certainly never sat in a workshop or class that taught me to teach the way I teach. I do continuing ed. of course, but I like to take workshops and classes that give me practical tools that I can then modify to fit the needs of various children. Lesson plans are guidelines that might or might not be followed. I really don't even write them anymore. I have an overall plan in my head of where I want to go and I modify it on the spot or abandon it totally if the need arises.

Amazingly, it all seems to work and my kids make great progress. It's amazing how confidant I am when teaching children. I'm truly in my element.

As far as de-stressors, writing my blog, or on this thread, reading, watching TV, walking-especially outdoors, gardening, playing with grandchildren, hot bubble baths with diet hot chocolate and a good mystery, singing, dancing, having a good long talk with one of my sisters or brothers (don't get to do that often, I should call them more.)

Unfortunately, food has always been a big de-stresser that led to other forms of stress--like being fat and unhealthy and in pain. Living without it isn't easy. I still turn to it occasionally, but then the band gets in the way of it becoming a total foodfest.

In fact, right now, I've been way into the carbs. Three colds in two months and no sun have really gotten to me. Haven't gained but haven't lost the last 3 lbs either. Getting a fill on Tuesday. That should kick me back into restriction.

Well, enough about me. But without a lot of Apples or Janet the last few days, someone's got to fill in the space.LOL

Cheri

Hi, Everyone!

Hey, it's Janet's birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JANET!!

:):party::bored:

We are leaving on a cruise in the morning...

Mexican Riviera!

Talk to y'all when we get back next Saturday!

26_23_3.gif

Edited by phyllser
P.S.

:thumbup:Happy Birthday Janet!! Many more healthy ones to come!

Have the time of your life, Phyll! Make Earl behave. Don't worry about the wine...I hear there's absolutely no calories in wine on cruise ships.....pancakes....not so sure.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday, Dear Janet

Happy Birthday to you!!!! And many more!!!

OK..I kind of forgot what it was like hanging around the frat house. DS invited a bunch of friends over for MN steaks and momma's white chicken chilli. Just a great afternoon and evening. You find out all kinds of things from your children's friends. And, nice to hear. Heard over and over how DS speaks so highly of his parents...just nice to hear. Not that we would try to pull that out of him but he says it on his own.

DH loves beer but he's like a 4-5 beer kind of guy that will have a few around the campfire. Didn't need a campfire tonight. Think he tried to keep up with the young ones. Downstairs play WII and being fairly loud. Gotta love him. I had my one Grey Goose and Water with Crystal Lite. I'm such a lightweight. Always have been but think I had more fun than the rest.

Anyhoo....my heart is happy to be spending time with Charlie. He's just a cool kid like his brother but totally different.

Time to go kick some A$$ on Wii bowling. I have the advantage....12 beers vs. 1 drink. Hmmmm. Not sure...think I'm tooted on that one drink.

Have the time of your life, Phyl! Make Earl behave. Don't worry about the wine...I hear there's absolutely no calories in wine on cruise ships.....pancakes....not so sure.

Time to go kick some A$$ on Wii bowling. I have the advantage....12 beers vs. 1 drink. Hmmmm. Not sure...think I'm tooted on that one drink.

Don't worry about pancakes. On cruises... I go for the seafood... salmon omelets, salmon, shrimp, lobster...I don't usually gain weight because I stick to healthy choices. Now... the adult beverages might be a challenge. I'll definitely look for the ZERO calorie wine!! LOL! I do like tequila in my crystal lite!!

12_13_2.gif

Don't worry about pancakes. On cruises... I go for the seafood... salmon omelets, salmon, shrimp, lobster...I don't usually gain weight because I stick to healthy choices. Now... the adult beverages might be a challenge. I'll definitely look for the ZERO calorie wine!! LOL! I do like tequila in my crystal lite!!

12_13_2.gif

Good Girl!

Happy Birthday, Janet...... I'm sure you have a nice evening planned for yourself...... Have a great time..

Apples, watch out not to beat those boys at bowling too bad..... egos can bruise...... So glad you are having such a great time.....

Cheri, thanks for all the filling in... Loved your programs..... Do you still help lead programs at church and such now??? Like Chirstmas or Easter pageants??? Sounds like fun....

We have Mimi this evening... She is about ready for bed I think...... Or I'll have company while I'm up tonight...... She woke up with a rash on her torso this morning.. Took her to the clinic and they said to stop the Augmentin.... she must be allergic.... But her ear infection has cleared up..... She seems just fine....

Oops, DH is calling.... Mimi has him bamboozled in the kitchen and needs help..............later........ Julie

Julie, sometimes I help put a chapel together at school and I'm usually mic'd in the choir. I'm the lead alto but not a soloist. I hear parts as well as read music and can give the director big sound when needed.

I used to be in a praise team or two but now the choir leads twice a month and other singers not in the choir do the praise teams. I led a praise team for a while-a thankless task-and put together the liturgy. Too many people with too much to say. I was just holding the team together while we searched for a new music director. My team became the base for the choir which does a lot of gospel numbers under our new director. For a while, we were the only praise team singing Gospel or at least some old Negro Spirituals.

You said you sing, too, at church. For me, although I do enjoy our pastors, its the best part of worship.

Cheri

Janet, did you get your card? Happy Birthday. Hope you had a very nice day....and don't let those dogs stress you out. Just like your relationship to food, restrict the puppy to certain areas.....Andrew's bedroom, garage, outside and have Andrew walk it. No puppies allowed in "Janet's" area. It might be tough in your house, but it might give you some peace and quiet.

Laura...how nice to send your Dad some cigars. Sounds like it's a "bad" thing, but you know if he enjoys them, why not. He needs to get as much joy from life as he can. I hope he starts to feel better soon.

Guess this will be a short post...it's SciFi night, so I'm going to watch some TV.

Eva

Thanks for the Bday wishes - I have had a good day..

Yes Eva I got the card - got it Wed (sent you email ;0) - waited till this morning to open in along with the present my kids sent - I got a web cam - it's so cool to be able to talk to the family and see them !!!

Went out to lunch yesterday, dinner last nite and dinner tonite and again tomorrow nite for my bday - I'm like my Dad we Celebrate for a week :0)..

Andrew got me a new camera - so I have to learn how to work this one..

Love your idea about no Rider in Janet's space ;0)

Well going ck out my new camera.. CBL

Phyl - going to miss you !!!! Have fun !!!

Happy Birthday late Janet. Sounds like it was a good one. You share a b-day with Oprah -- did you know that? I think you and her must be about the same age. I tape her show and I just skimmed today's and saw it was her birthday - she had 100 in her audience that shared her b-day - you should have been there! She got herself two new springer spaniel puppies (girls) -- very cute. Everyone in the audience got two free nights at a Hilton (anywhere in the world).

DH and I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. I usually have a salad that has grilled chicken on it, but I was sick of that (I've had it at least once a week for over a year) so I decided to get a chicken taco and a chicken enchilada instead -- ate the insides of each and it was great - delicious food. I don't even touch the chips - I'm very good -- they just don't really tempt me at all for some reason.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get back on the exercise horse. I was just so exhausted -- going back to work, plus we had DGD from Sunday through Thursday afternoon, so that was exhausting as DSD was back in hospital. They still are finding nothing wrong -- she's lost more weight down to 108 -- she looks like a skelton - she's 5'7". So I worry.

Anyway, Phyl, have a wonderful time on your cruise. Apples, enjoy your visit with DS and have a safe trip to Florida. Glad you made it when you did -- the weather is very bad between here and there - you really had a short window of opportunity and lucky you went when you did. Great hope you enjoy your trip to SLC. Julie, how nice of you to send Cookies to the troops. Cheri, I teared up reading your post tonight -- what a fabulous teacher you are.

On a sad note, my sister had to put my mother's dog down today -- Daisy Mae -- my mom's been gone 6 years and it was good of my sister to take her afterwards. It was a hard decision for her and it made us all sad again - memories of mom with the dog, you know. It was our last connection to her. Can't believe how much I cried over this today.

Gotta get some sleep -- love to all -- sorry to those I missed -- oh, I got my Beck books, can't wait to read them. Linda