Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Arlene, I like the semi-retired status. You know, this only the 2nd day that I didn't have "a plan" about what I was going to do. In some ways it's nice, but I think I'll like it better when school starts. I did strip one of the outdoor cushions to see what the padding was. I need to make new covers because the old ones have rotted away....really rotten. I bought the fabric but don't quite have the pattern down yet. Never fear, I'll figure something out. They were one piece top and bottom cushions and I may stick with that, but I'm not sure yet. Time to be creative. Yes, my MIL lives in Arkansas. She decided maybe three years ago that she couldn't live alone and moved in with her daughter. It's hard on DH, but I'm almost glad he isn't watching his mother fail. He is very sensitive and this just tears him up.

My cat is bugging me. She is on my desk playing with the papers, knocking things off, laying in front of the keyboard. Guess she is bored and wants some attention. I'll have to go play with her, then she'll sleep for six hours.

Later,

Eva

Okay, I gotta give you gals an update on the baby shower drama and DD's MIL. Remember she demanded the date be changed as she had to work that day? Well the date was not changed, my friend that is throwing the shower, picked the date as it worked for her and the place she is having it was available. The invites went out yesterday. Well suddenly the MIL now thinks she might be able to get a trade that day (she's a nurse) and responded a 'maybe', however, she also put in her response a list of the people that she said needed to be invited. HUH?? She's not throwing this shower? Not only did she leave a list of names for my friend to invite but then also didn't give any contact info (she did evites so no email addresses either) and said you can look them up on Facebook. HUH? They have a very common last name and my friend should go through all the time and trouble researching that for her? SHEESH! My daughter doesn't even know these people. It's nice that the MIL wants to include some of her friends to 'shower' my daughter, but to insist they be invited to this shower? My friend responded that she'd be happy to include them but she needed to be provided their contact info. This woman is something else. Yet my DD is the one that gets villfied in the family etc. GRRRRRRR Just thought I'd update you and vent here. LOL

Sun update: It is shining And it's a balmy 35 outside!! There's even a little meltage going on, I went out and shovelled with no coat! I don't expect you desert or warm temp climate dwellers to get that but the northerners can relate after weeks of frigid conditions what a sunny above freezing kind of day can feel like. SPRING FEVER!

Speaking of spring fever, could not believe at Kohls yesterday they had Easter stuff out. It was comical in this one row they had first VAlentines things, then St Paddy's, then spring/Easter and further down the Halloween/fall, Christmas clearance. About all that was missing was 4th of July. LOL

Great -- wtg on the weather --- I wish it had warmed up here -- I think our high was maybe 20 -- not sure.

Went to my kidney doctor this a.m. Have to have an ultrasound next Tuesday. I suffered severe kidney damage 2 years ago when I picked up an e coli virus and one of my kidneys is barely functioning. He did blood work today -- I was so hoping that this would improve after i lost weight too but doesn't look like it did -- I had blood work in October that showed it's still a problem. Really sucks. I never ever in my life figured i'd end up with kidney problems -- I only had one bladder infection in my entire life -- so I never dreamed I'd ever have problems.

Arlene, you do know that they will make any Subway sandwich into a salad for you don't you? That way you don't have to deal with the bread at all. I do miss a good sub with that good bread though. LOL. Sorry, but I do miss that kind of stuff occasionally. Can't eat it though -- thank goodness. You are such a great daughter -- your mom is soooo lucky to have you.

Eva, hope you and Apples had a fun day today. Keep us posted on all your activities -- we feel like we're there with you when you share.

Oh, my boss approved my change in hours -- starting Monday I'll be working 8 to 5 like a NORMAL person. Yeah, now i can do Zumba two nights a week -- I'm very excited.

Okay, gotta run. CBL.

Linda

Great, I can't believe that woman -- your DD's MIL - I think your friend handled it well -- except she probably should have told her, if you want to invite them to a shower, have one yourself. What a rude, pushy witch she is!! Makes me crazy thinking about it.

Linda

Great, you can tell she doesn't hostess anything, but she wants to call the shots on everything. Your friend is very kind to put up with her bull......it will make it easier on DD. I hope you and DD have a great time in spite of MIL.

Eva, too funny about your kitty. If my Ipad, Iphone, or tv remote is in my lap pup paws at them so I will remove them.... and he can sit in my lap. If I don't have a throw on me he paws my shoulder till I put one over me so he can crawl under it. Now tell me......who calls the shots in my house? lol

Linda, so sorry about the kidney damage. I had heard that e coli can really damage vital organs. I hope you get a good report on the test. I was hoping to take a break from going to the nursing home tomorrow, but my mother called. She had a meltdown when they forgot to come get her for Breakfast. I need to go over there and take her up to her apartment for a little bit just to get her out of that room. She tends to get a little confused and negative when she is in the nursing home rehabing. Like I said before.......One day at a time!

I am at my limit of pts today. I am still hungry. GRRRRRR!!!!

Linda, so sorry to hear about the kidney problems. I hope the next test is good news. My McD's coffee/diet coke friend I meet at least once a week is up in Idaho this week with her mom, she jsut found out she has stage 4 kidney failure and may have to go on dialysis soon. How did you get e-coli???

Just got home from another movie. I never go to movies much and here it's 2 in about a week. Saw Kings Speech, GREAT movie. I really enjoyed it and recommend it. I had never heard of it til I heard some friends talk about it and then someone else, etc. so had to see what the buzz was about.

Good Evening Friends.....another great day spent with Eva. Thanks. Just fun. Did our kind of thing. DH and I are the type that NEVER make plans when we travel...well, maybe 2-3 hours ahead of time. Eva is as easy going as we are and we have kind of just gone by the seat of our pants. DH and I and Eva just did a drive around today. Went through a mountain pass (beautiful) and stopped at one of their properties and visited with one of their friends. Headed somewhere and hit a little corner bar. Eva's DH joined us. Nice visit. My DH is somewhat shy...no....he is reserved especially when it comes to ppl who put on airs....WELL...he fits right in with Eva and DH and I have a feeling there will be tears on our way out of town. Anyway...

Linda...sorry about the kidney troubles. Sunporch prayer has been said. Woohoo on the work schedule. Freedom.

Arlene...you ARE a sweet daughter. It makes me miss my Lucille so much when you talk of your mom.

Great...I know how I would have handled the extra guest list if I were the hostess putting on the shower. I would have provided her with a number of invitations and asked her to kindly address, stamp and mail. There's all kind in this world. But, give and take gets a person a lot farther in life than being a b_tch. But...I can say this from experience....if DD can stand her ground and respectfully still include her MIL (not saying she is disrespectful but it respect goes a long way when building relationships) the tables might turn. But, as I've said b/4, she sounds pretty self-centered.

OK...dinner is ready for the table....will be back later.

Hi all,

Went out to eat to Panera bread tonight and had their chili. Gave my DH the cornbread on the top of the chili. Tasted so good. Kidney Beans and Tomato sauce do have carbs but good for you low-glycemic ones, so staying on track. My cravings are so controlled by eating meat frequently. I don't feel physically hungry for a long time and if I do I can just eat some more meat. I fried a package of fresh Breakfast pork sausages and refrigerated them and took 2 to work each morning where I would nuke 1 and eat it and then another 1 mid-morning.

Bought a spit-roasted chicken and just kept stripping it for my lunch (froze some in baggies) and a few of my suppers. Put it in a salad last night. This week I ate it plain or put tobasco sauce (red or green) in with it. Today I had green Tobasco sauce in it with some low-fat cheeze. I totally enjoyed that lunch. Next week I think I'm going to get some spicy guacamole and mix that in some of the baggies and some basil pesto and mix that in others. It's amazing how you can make chicken taste differently without a lot of calories and with almost no carbs or with good low-glycemic carbs like hummus and pesto. Those keep the chicken from getting stuck, too because of the olive oil in them. Also had burger with mustard (no carbs) and Filet Mignon, no need for Condiments. Easy to fry up in a pan, done in 5 minutes. Eat slowly and chew well while on FB, LBT and watching TV. Takes me an hour to eat. I do usually eat more than 3 to 4 oz. If I'm doing Protein, I eat more like 6-8 oz. to stop the cravings and feel "full." I just eat it really slowly.

Since I work such a long day I also had Protein Bars or an Atkins shake to see me through the work day. After supper I would have SF pudding or an Atkins Endulge candy bar. So I ate plenty and still lost weight. I would be weak as a kitten if I ate Meredith's food. And hungry like Arlene if I had carbs. So, for me, this works. I'll probably get some carbs this extended weekend and work on moderation, keeping my Protein high. Then, back on the train when I go back to work on Tuesday.

It's such a relief to be back on track. Being back at work really helps as it makes it easier when my life is scheduled. Last week I just couldn't get into it. Was fighting that cold and really grieving over Joi. We were also using up gift cards to good restaurants. But I know that I can get back on track and the weight comes off easily. So, once I'm at the bottom of my weight range, I'm going to do the two lb gain, back to no carbs till its off thing.

This month is my 1 yr. bandiversary of reaching goal. And then I went on to lose another 7-9, so I'm making sure, after going through all that, that I have something to Celebrate.

Eva, you really are a goal-oriented project person. I really admire how much you accomplish. I know you want to lose more weight and I know you're quite the foodie. Now that you're working at home, maybe you should make creating and finding great recipes that are lapband and weight loss friendly a project. Design your own cookbook. I know that when I figured out all the great and easy things I could do with a spit-roasted chicken from the store, my outlook on eating the way I need to eat really shot up. I can manage stripping a delicious, always tender chicken cooked elsewhere and just adding good tasting condiments to it to keep it from getting boring. Fits my ADHD, fits my lifestyle, fits my tastebuds, fits my need for high protein low-carb whole foods. Throw in mixed green salads, or medium cooked broccoli, or a can of Italian green Beans for veggies and a few berries into the salad (dried or fresh) and it's actually pretty healthy. A little low-fat cheeze or Feta cheeze, some milk or half and half in my coffee and some low-carb treats around and I can maintain that most days. Just gotta get my DH to remember to keep some fish fillets in the house and I'll actually have a well-rounded diet. The fact is, as Jessica's (?) Dr. or nutritionist said, you do not need carbs to live. You will not die without them.

Tomorrow morning, if I don't wake up to a flat tire, I'm going to sing with my big choir in a ceremony celebrating Martin Luther King's birthday. I have to be there at 8:30 a.m. for rehearsal. If the tire is too low again in the morning, I may just walk there if the weather is decent. It wouldn't take me more than 45 minutes and I frequently walk longer than an hour.

TTYL

Cheri

Hi there, sounds like most of you are doing fine..... Glad to hear that Apples and DH are having a great time in Tucson and becoming good friends with Eva and Jeff..... Lori, your DD's mil is "special"...... you just gotta shake your head and wonder what in the world she is thinking in that head of hers.... Cheri, glad you feel that you are back on track and doing great.... Feeling good about oneself is very very important...... Laura, glad your DH is headed home.....

Sorry, only read the last page so am not up to date at all..... I feel as though I'll never get caught up..... I'm still having the bad days.... Saw my pain doc yesterday and all he seemed to be able to do for me was give me a new perscription for percocet and tell me to come back in 2 months..... I made an appointment with a new doctor for Tuesday to virtually start over...I've run out of things to do..... I must have to start over with new sets of eyes.. Maybe someone will see something the others haven't ........

The pain is bad now so must go do my thing....... Love and hugs to you all.... Julie

Hello All!

Sorry I've been absent. I've been lurking around and reading, but haven't posted for 2 days or so.

The night before last I threw up twice and had terrible acid reflux. I knew that since I got my fill last Saturday, it was because I was too tight. And, as you all know, I've had such problems the two times before when I stayed too tight for too long. Anyhow, I had my band loosened about .2 cc's. Yesterday I did alright during the day time and then had 2 glasses of wine after dinner. But, that was ok and I'm sure that even with those 2 glasses I was way under 1200 cal, so I'm ok with that.

Today was another story! I had slim fast for breakfast, a salad at lunchtime and then went to a 1 year memorial mass for my friends mother who passed away a year ago. You all may remember when she disappeared after church into the lake and her body was found about 3 months later. Anyhow, there was a typical Catholic mass, followed by a dinner. The dinner was like a wedding reception! It was UNREAL! Hot pink linens with hot pink chair covers, white sashes, hors d'ovres, open bar, HUGE buffet, and dessert complete with chocolate fountain. I was not prepared for all of this! I ate dinner, not terribly bad, but still, I feel guilty because I had a brownie and rice krispie treat. Then, I have a baby shower tomorrow. I think I will stick to salad there. Ugh. I've been doing so well, and I just disappointed myself today. It's ok, tomorrow is a new day. Right?

I have developed a new exercise plan. Mon-Wed somtime during the day after I get up, it's time for the gym. Thurs, day off, Friday after work, gym, Sat off, Sun off. I need to start off slow, and 4 days a week will do just fine for me right now.

Arlene~ I'm glad your mom has decided to stay in the nursing home for a bit longer and then hire someone. It probably will help to put your mind at ease and take some of the pressure off so you can focus on yourself.

Apples and Eva~ Girls, lets face it, I am envious of your fun times!!!!! Keep it up! Sounds like you are having a great time. Love it.

Lori~ Your DD's MIL never ceases to amaze, does she? Wow. Hugs. Hope it gets worked out. Your DD does not need the added stress.

Janet~ I agree sister! I would rather do an all inclusive cruise for $900-$1000. Hopefully we can make Chicago work for the majority of us!

Linda~ My heart just breaks when I read about your SD and her troubles. It's a shame that she is putting her body through all of this! She has a beautiful daughter that she is missing out on. I'm so glad that you are there for that sweet child! What a blessing.

Ok, it's getting late, its freezing, yet again, and we are getting more snow tonight (AGAIN)! I'm nervous since the baby shower is almost an hour away without sh!tty weather. So, we will see.

Goodnight all. Sorry about all of the ramblings. I just was (am) so upset with myself after I "failed" with food today.

Meredith, you have to get the word "failure" out of your head. We all have days when we are unexpectedly faced with the food we love and crave the most. If we completely deny ourselves we end up setting ourselves up for a vicious cycle of guilt and overeating. You need to change your thoughts to how proud you are of limiting your treats.

Just a salad? I could never do that. Unless the salad had some meat or cheese, some nuts, some real stick to the ribs food in it. Just eating a salad would set me up for failure also. These are the kinds of situations where you figure you're going to eat some things you normally wouldn't and its OK. Otherwise you walk away feeling deprived and with a raging hunger. Instead choose a few things and eat just a bite of them. Doing so can actually boost your self-esteem and take the fear out of social gatherings.

I have to ask you, are you semi-vegetarian? I frequently wonder if you're getting enough Protein, especially whole Proteins found in meat, eggs, or dairy. I would feel too weak to exercise or feel well if I ate what you do. Also, some of your food choices would give me acid reflux. Grapefruit, wine, etc. Maybe after a fill you need to avoid any foods that cause reflux till you lose a few lbs and the band isn't as tight. Look it up on the internet. You would be amazed at the foods and drinks that contribute to reflux.

I'm proud of the way you're losing weight. A few tweaks and it'll be more sustainable.

Cheri

Morning everyone. Thanks for all the good thoughts, prayers and hugs on my SD's situation and my kidneys. All will be fine -- I am working on positive thoughts to help my body heal. I believe it will work.

Meredith-- I agree with Cheri - instead of feeling shame you should feel proud of the choices you did make. When I go to buffets or encounter these types of situations I usually just don't go look at the Desserts -- and if it's too terribly tempting then i get up and leave the room while my dh eats his dessert -- usually I can handle it. But on occasion, I decide it's my time for a special treat and I will have a little something -- I plan for it. Sometimes I will take a dessert and have one bite of it and that's enough to satisfy me. Then my dh usually finishes it off but if not I don't feel guilty about wasting it -- as Janet says better in the trash than in me. You did good considering all the temptations you were encountered with. Just think how much you would have eaten pre-band -- that will show you how much better you are now than before. This is our "lifestyle" now -- not just a temporary situation and during our "lives" we are going to eat a little bite of brownie occasionally and it's OKAY.

Jodi and LauraK - any new dates this weekend? LauraK I totally "get" what you mean about being picky-- don't blame you in the least -- you need/must be picky -- you don't want to inherit someone else's problems. I call that being smart. Keep that radar in place -- it's important.

On the NBC news last nigiht they did a story about the ceramic bell chimes "Ben's Bells" in Tucson - what a beautiful story -- Ben died of a disease in 2002 and his mom started making ceramic bell chimes and would hang them in various location in Tucson with a note that said something like "you can take the chimes but let them remind you to always be kind to others" or somthing like that. She's been doing it since 2002 -- many many volunteers have gotten involved in those years and help her make and distribute them. Well after the tragedy last weekend, hundreds of volunteers made them and they ended up hanging 1100 new ones all over Tucson. Even in the Safeway parking lot where the tragedy occurred the FBI hung them up because it was still blocked off as a crime scene. That is true American spirit. I'm just awed by it.

I woke up and had some snuggle time with my Merry -- I just love it when she cuddles up to me in bed and i hold her and talk to her and she literally "hugs" me. Had my coffee and now it's time to go to they gym.

Julie, sorry to hear about your pain issues -- I wish someone could help you. Sorry. It's very scary and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Linda

Hi there, sounds like most of you are doing fine..... Glad to hear that Apples and DH are having a great time in Tucson and becoming good friends with Eva and Jeff..... Lori, your DD's mil is "special"...... you just gotta shake your head and wonder what in the world she is thinking in that head of hers.... Cheri, glad you feel that you are back on track and doing great.... Feeling good about oneself is very very important...... Laura, glad your DH is headed home.....

Sorry, only read the last page so am not up to date at all..... I feel as though I'll never get caught up..... I'm still having the bad days.... Saw my pain doc yesterday and all he seemed to be able to do for me was give me a new perscription for percocet and tell me to come back in 2 months..... I made an appointment with a new doctor for Tuesday to virtually start over...I've run out of things to do..... I must have to start over with new sets of eyes.. Maybe someone will see something the others haven't ........

The pain is bad now so must go do my thing....... Love and hugs to you all.... Julie

Julie - What happen I thought your pain was better? I also thought you saw a knew Dr already? I can't believe this is still happening. I pray that this new Dr will found out what is going on. A person could go crazy with all that you are going through. Hugs on this. I really wish I could do something for you

Linda, thanks for posting that story about the bells. People do pull together in adversity. Sorry about your kidney issues. After reading about MIL's stuff I now know how serious it can be. At least you will do what ever is necessary to take care of yourself.

Apples and her DH just stopped by with Tanker. Glimmer and Tanker are about the same size so it's pretty funny because they are a little jealous of each other. Tanker is a very nice dog however and is a perfect gentlemen in the house. It's 72 degrees today and beautiful so I think they are really enjoying the weather. Apples does have her sandals on. I'm in socks and shoes still.

Meredith...don't beat yourself up. It doesn't help. Guilt doesn't help anyone especially you. You have done very well with your weight loss and will continue to do so even if it is a little slower than you planned.

It's quiet today and I'm enjoying it. Just I'll just talk to you all later.

Eva

Hello everyone, Been busy with school starting this week. I have had 2 exams already. The first one I don't have an exact score on just that I made over a 90 the second one was a B. I am also taking an aerobics class for college credit. We are doing pilates the next few weeks. I considered dropping it but it doesn't seem to effect my tendonitis.

My Doc appt went how I thought. I think I may just be misinterpreting my doc lectures. He talked to me again about needing to totally give up the carbs. I am trying but it is really hard. I am still losing just not as fast as those who totally give them up. I am not gonna sweat it. I am doing well in general. He talked about my facial AFFECT too. I think my meds are giving me mismatched facial expressions. Mainly I get a completly blank stare when he is talking to me. It is called having a flat affect. My psychiatrist asked if I would like to come off my meds more. I was scared what would happen if I did that so I told her I wasn't ready. Overall the opinion seems to be I should come down on them. It would help financially and I would feel great to know I am getting better at handling life.

Jake got a rash all over his torso due to strep. I am not feeling well either (hopefully not strep). Also Don, has some sort of genetic problem where he was missing several adult teeth. He apparently still has some baby teeth and they are starting to fall out. The one he is dealing with now is stuck and very painful. My brother is visiting from Boston this weekend and is planing on drinking alot. I gotta find some sugar free mixers to drink so I don't gain a ton while he is here. I know someone had brought some to our gathering in feb but don't remember the name of them.