Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi girls, how's everyone doing today?? My Mimi is finally napping.. She has been so busy... I see her imagination growing everyday.. I love it... today she set the table with coasters at every chair and found Grandpa's potato chips and gave everyone a serving on the coaster... (Just a couple chips)... Then she proceeded to sit at every chair and eat and talk away to some imaginary person.. I got such a charge out of it..

This talk of families and relationships must be the one for lots of us these days... Janet, we had our meeting.. All went well, or so I thought.. SD bro was on speakerphone with the rest all here.. We made a plan of attack towards selling the farmstead quarter to my nephew... However, the next day had a long e-mail from SD and he was all up in arms again... Everything is such a mess... We'll never get it figured out... But I'm about to throw up my hands and concede to failure... I can't seem to fix anything... Lori, I have been contemplating the upcoming holidays and it depresses me, too.... And with us, our own children aren't speaking so we can't even have them together (Ohio family can't be here anyway, but we have DD1 in Bismarck and DD2 here in our town..) DD1 and here husband made a big scene last year on Christmas eve and ruined the whole time for us.. DH was so mad..... This is my step daughter and I have to step back some...... anyway, if it wasn't for my little Mimi, I don't think I could enjoy Christmas at all this year... But you are all right, we have to just keep going and do what we know to be right in our hearts. If they can't or won't accept what we have to offer, we'll just have to give it to someone who will.... There are lots of lonely people out there who would love to share a holiday with someone.... I've decided to "dance in the rain while the storm is brewing!!"....... Great saying Laura K..............

Apples. honey, you have a great attitude......... I hope to never have regrets about people I love knowing how I feel when they die... The only person of great importance in my life that I've lost so far is my father, 13 years ago... He had cancer...... I honestly have no regrets.. We were lucky to have the time to talk and I believe I told him everything I needed for him to know before he died... It's a comfort... I'm sure glad you have this comfort with your "mom", too... Was great of her family to honor her and you the way they did... She must have let them know just how important you were to her.....

Laura, is the candy gone??? I hope so, you don't need the stress.. DH's sometimes just don't get it......

Balletgirl, you gave Victoria's Mom some good advice.. Hope you both get comfortable here with all of us...

Eva, I'm so sorry for what you are losing... Can't be easy... I would hope there is some way to protect what you have so it's there when you are ready to retire.. I'm not sure I would trust 30+ years worth of retirement to them without paying very close attention.. Good luck to you... How long before you plan to retire??? I was glad when DH did 18 months ago, just in time for the stock market to fall... We lost a bundle, but are slowly gaining it back again now.. It's a worry these days no matter who you are...

Linda, how are you doing dear? Must be very busy...

Meredith, are you back yet???? I'm sure you will be busy, too

It is time for the annual "deer season" around here.. starts Friday.. DH isn't hunting for the first time since we married... Yeah!!!! Anyway, it has been a tradition for me to make my famous homemade carmel rolls for the guys.. One nephew has a birthday during this time and has always asked for them as a special gift.. I told him I wasn't sure I could get it done this year with my shoulder and such.. He was disappointed, but understood.(he's 27).... Anyway, I usually start my dough with 8 or 12 cups of liquid... Any of you who bake bread know that is a good sized batch... Takes some stong shoulders to kneed that up.. I just can't do that.. Decided to try using my mixer and the dough hook to make some smaller batches... Got one batch rising and another in the works.. I pan them out and freeze until ready to bake.. Then just take out what I want, let them raise, add the carmel and bake.. It's how I used to do it in my restaurant... Works great.. so, we'll see if they turn out in a small batch.. (2 cups of Water each, so this will be half of what I plan to do... If it works I can do the other half tomorrow... Can't let my reputations slide just over some shoulder pain!!!! And DH is here to help this evening if I need him.....

You all have a great evening... I'll check back later... Love you all.............so glad to have a "family" that understands and doesn't hassle me for anything... Julie

A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up; she was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with Water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee Beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, ' Tell me what you see.'

'Carrots, eggs, and coffee,' she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hardboiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a Fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif

Melissa - how's your stress and getting back on track going...

cbl

Okay I am really worried about work taking time off i still have been eating too much i feel out of control I do exercise every day for at least 30 minutes. My Dr up my meds but I really want to do something else but no one is hiring

Phyl, Great post love the message.

Julie, good way to do your baking, just break it up to what you can handle. Keep on dancing.

Laura K

Had a good day foodwise. Got out and walked over an hour. Then I got on Facebook and learned my grandson fell onto his head off the bunkbed. He's in a lot of pain and won't move his neck. Big lump on top of his head. He had 2 CT scans and is on ibuprofen and Tylenol. Nothing showed on the CT scans but I don't trust small local hospitals. They make notorious mistakes reading tests. Josh is only two and wouldn't hold still for the scans either. So keep him in your prayers. My daughter was so upset and tired when I called she could barely talk about it. She's probably blaming herself but Josh is a handful and fortunately built like a tank.

Morning............. Phyll, love the story.....I have heard it before but the meaning makes it worth reading everyday!!!! Thanks for sharing...

If, so sorry about your grandson.. Hope he will be fine.. Can't imagine trying to keep my 2 year old down for a test like that.... Will pray he is just fine...and your DD, too...... Good job on the long walk.. I had one myself yesterday.. Put Mimi in one of those harnes leases and we walked up town yesterday to the bank... Now keep in mind I live in a small town and not far from the main street, but it was still a good walk for us... I was happy with it and so was Mimi....

Laura K, my idea about dough seemed to work fine and I got the rolls panned out and in the freezer last evening without too much trouble.. Shoulder didn't go crazy and I did sleep last night... So I have another batch going now... Should be done before Mimi comes today... Then I can just bake what I need when I want them later...

Everyone have a great day, I'll be back later to check in... Julie

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Yes, I climed back up on the horse this morning and had my Protein Shake and started logging my food again. I have my dance class tonight so that should kick my butt into gear. I suffer from the first bite syndrome, too, so I'm learning to get around that and I'm still learning to take small bites and chew, chew, chew. I think I just need to relax about this whole thing and know that it will happen in it's own time --- not anyone else's! I do have another fill on November 20th that I wasn't going to go to, but I think it's a good idea. This is a great support system and thanks to all of you! Much love!

A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up; she was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with Water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee Beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, ' Tell me what you see.'

'Carrots, eggs, and coffee,' she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hardboiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a Fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif 12_4_38.gif

Oh Phyll...I will think of this each time I THINK I am weak. I'm pretty sure I'm a "bean".....I once told a dr. what I had been going thru with my birth family. It was the toughest time of my life (about 15-20yrs ago). I did not want any of this negativity to affect my boys and wanted to make sure how I was handling it. Laid it all out and doc said that I had great survival instincts. Better than she had ever seen. Here I am, feeling the weakest I ever had in my life and she is saying that. She told me to take those survivor skills that I had and teach them to my sons and they could get through anything. My sons grew up to take on the world (their own little world) and never look back. Oldest saw a lot of action in Iraq...came back without three lifetime friends. I was in awe of how he dealt with all these feelings and did not push it all under the rug. (I'm getting off the subject here).

Anyway, Phyll....thanks for your story. It comes at a good time for all of us. Whether we struggle with daily life, band life, food issues, family issues...we can take a look at the lesson this story provides.

Janet..."mom" had been in my life for about 30 yrs.

It's getting to me not being involved in this thread and missing the casual posting. I am sure I will be in and out all week. I do catch up on the reading but I feel my mind is so muddled that when I try to post I cannot keep my thoughts together.

Yesterday got all the thank you's done and sure there will be more in the mail today. This lady was loved. 6 of us worked on it for 12 hours. Got home about 10:30, had time to cuddle up to DH for a bit and visit and bed at 12.

Heading out this morning to start the packing of apt. Siblings need to get back to work. Have till Dec. 1 so will be in there most days till then sorting and packing. She had a salt and pepper shaker collection that goes to the "Real" daughter that is fragile and will take time to pack. 955 sets is what I think she we get. She collected angels also and I can't even begin to guess how many. She kept track of everything and who they came from.

Anyway...off and running. Just know that I read the post and if I don't reply to each kind word, I am not snubbing, just hair-brained...but I do get your message and thank you. :drool:

Had a good day foodwise. Got out and walked over an hour. Then I got on Facebook and learned my grandson fell onto his head off the bunkbed. He's in a lot of pain and won't move his neck. Big lump on top of his head. He had 2 CT scans and is on ibuprofen and Tylenol. Nothing showed on the CT scans but I don't trust small local hospitals. They make notorious mistakes reading tests. Josh is only two and wouldn't hold still for the scans either. So keep him in your prayers. My daughter was so upset and tired when I called she could barely talk about it. She's probably blaming herself but Josh is a handful and fortunately built like a tank.

Cheri..just have mom keep a really close eye on him. We visited ER a couple of times from jumping on the bed. (The monkey song comes to mind). I am sure they left with what to watch for. Any concerns, they can always go back to doc to get him checked out. Hope everything will be OK with him. Kids!:drool:

hello all~~~

You guys have been so busy with the posts! I take one day off and I have 5 pages to read. Even I cannot keep up with that.

Julie~ yum, the bread sounds divine. Glad you found a way to make it without killing your shoulder. I LOVE the chip tea party Mimi did! Their imaginations are in full gear. Cracks me up.

Apples~ you are so kind to help pack her apt. As busy as you are too. Her DD will be so thankful when she has that collection safe and sound. And you are a tough cookie with good survival skills, I had no doubt. : )

Janet~ OK my friend. I took your advice. (The angel on my one shoulder was telling me the same but I wasn't listening b/c you know who was screaming on the other!) Yest. I went to the gym during lunch time. I was just amazed at how many people are there during their lunch hour!!! I didn't feel like going AT ALL, but told myself to go and do 30 min on the step tread. I did it. I cannot believe the strength and speed I lost in one month of not going! I went again this morning after dropping Nels off. I did 30 min on treadmill and 30 min odd and end weights and 100 crunches. I am beat, but feel better for going. (more psychologically than mentally right now.) Thanks for the swift kick in the A$$ that I needed. <smile>

candy is out of the house. That stuff kicked my butt. You know what it is, this is the first time since surgery that I was around large amounts of chocolate and candy. And now there are two things: 1) the feeling of the SLIP OF WILL POWER, just knocks the wind out of you. We all know that horrible feeling when we start letting things go. It's like a mini feeling that you are capable of screwing it all up again. 2) the physical withdrawal from sugar/carbs is so damn powerful! I was talking with DH about this... and I am feeling so HUNGRY. I have not felt this hungry since pre band days! And it is literally insulin levels are up waiting for me to eat some chocolate! I need to get past this next couple days and hopefully it will pass. What a powerful vicious cycle.

We are supposed to have a "cold snap" here today..LOL. Meaning a low of 65! High will still be in the 80s. But at least the AC won't kick in all night. I was hoping for some real cold. I guess we will get that in NC for Thanksgiving.

I need to go get some house chores done. CBL peeps. peas

Hey Gang

Sorry been mia since yesterday

Went to the gym last night for my cardio - did 4 miles - burned 500 cal (if you beleive those machines :drool:) but that was the # I was aiming for - I was tuckered out and sweating like a piggy..

Came home - my sis call - so had to call her back and gotta say it was a decent conversation - the are talking about moving about 40 miles from me - and that she wanted to rebuild our friendship - I say - hell Marilyn we are family - and sometimes they disagree - but we are still family and heck we hadn't been in a fight in years - so we were long over due (but in the past it was her mad at me not the other way around) So maybe our relationship will turn around soon - who knows - she's not well - my bil say she's weighs about 108 and that's thin. She has COPD - He said they were coming down the end of the month - I said they could stay at my house - so we will see how it goes..

Then after this 1 hr phone call - I went to turn on the lap top and the door bell rang - it was my gf debbie bringing me over the stuff that I ordered from her GD - well she didn't leave til after 9..

This morning had to work on estate stuff so never got on to post...

Apples - You are a wonderful person - I can't beleive how normal you are with all that you have been thru - I think you should have been a shrink !!!

Julie - I guess carmel roles aren't a downfall for you - they sound so good - they would be a problem for me :0)

Cheri - My DS bumped his head once on the coffee table he was like 1.5 yrs old - I am not kidding you he had an bump the size of and egg within 5 minutes - Hugs & prays that GS is ok - Kids are tough..

Victoria'Mom - I really feel that you have to take the rules and tweak them to work for you.. Thats what I do - hope you continue to come back and chat with us

Melissa - One day at a time - one minute at a time sometimes - Ya - it's hard to find another place to go right now - keep up the exercise and hopefully the meds will help and when you have to have something - just go w/the sf as much as you can and snack back popcorn.< /p>

Meredith -How was you visit w/your sister. Moving to Cali anytime soon - Our weather is great :0)..

Great - How's grandma

Charlene - How are you doing??

Laura - WTG on the gym and I hear you about the sugar and getting off it - I gotta say I really haven't had that hard of a time - I went to the gym Monday had a good leg work out and yesterday the treadmill 4 miles inclines 4 to 15..

Like you said - I feel great about acomplishing the exercise and that's my motivation - my drug might have given me a little slip up - but I know I can get it out of my system by sweat equity :0) and I feel good that even though I ate more than I should have - I said stop and put in the extra effort at the gym..

Well need to get back to work - cbl later

Hi everyone,

My surgery is Friday at Noon!!!!!!

GO in 2moro for my pre-op @ 9:30, then hafta hang round til 1, for appt w/snyder i guess. What am I gonna do until then? Hopeing they can get me in earlier, gonna ask anyway. Been slurpin down my liquids. :drool:

Hi everyone,

My surgery is Friday at Noon!!!!!!

GO in 2moro for my pre-op @ 9:30, then hafta hang round til 1, for appt w/snyder i guess. What am I gonna do until then? Hopeing they can get me in earlier, gonna ask anyway. Been slurpin down my liquids. :drool:

YAHOO!! Good luck, Latte! I was just down there today at Rose for my post op with my knee doc. Stopped my Dr Snyder's office to say hi. I have an appt with him next week.

Janet, Grandma is fine, thanks for asking. her dr appt yesterday went well. She has the beginnings of pulmonary hypertension I guess. Her O2 levels were borderline but she's not going on any oxygen at this time. Dr. gave her her choice. He's been tweaking her Rx's and seems to have her in a good place there now as well. She goes back in March.

Janet..........checking in. I haven't been weighing, journaling or basically doing anything towards my lifestyle. My mother is taking up my time. She is legally blind and is having a hard time accepting that there is nothing the doctors can do to help her. So, I have been taking her to specialists .........and they tell her she is worse. I can't imagine having to accept being blind at 86. She is so independent. Now, two of her friends died this morning and her chicken foot domino partner is in critical condition. So, I haven't felt like doing the right thing. I eat cream of wheat in the morning, but I usually pb lunch.......then I can eat dinner. Also, this IBS has my stomach all "jacked UP". I will get it together soon. Okay, enough whining.

HUGS to ALL!

Janet..........checking in. I haven't been weighing, journaling or basically doing anything towards my lifestyle. My mother is taking up my time. She is legally blind and is having a hard time accepting that there is nothing the doctors can do to help her. So, I have been taking her to specialists .........and they tell her she is worse. I can't imagine having to accept being blind at 86. She is so independent. Now, two of her friends died this morning and her chicken foot domino partner is in critical condition. So, I haven't felt like doing the right thing. I eat cream of wheat in the morning, but I usually pb lunch.......then I can eat dinner. Also, this IBS has my stomach all "jacked UP". I will get it together soon. Okay, enough whining. HUGS to ALL!

Oh, my! You are facing some pretty tough challenges!

My Mom is 87 1/2 and SO stubborn. Recent MRI shows osteoporosis in her hip and thinning of hip bones.... but she won't use a walker! If she falls... it's broken hip time. She says.. pride! "I use a cane when I go out!" Like that's going to help if she starts to fall! It is difficult dealing with our aging parents!