Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Erica, I think Indio is right about the out-of-network situation. I think you need to do a little more research on surgeons in your area who might be in your network. Your ins company should have lists of surgeons in their network. There are a pot full of WLSurgeons in the Kansas City area - must also be the case for your area. It will give you a starting place.

I would be likely to feel okay with the surgeon you talked with based on the info he shared with you about the certification process and numbers of surgeries he has performed. Part of the certification process includes numbers of surgeries performed. I am a little more nervous about the owners whose licenses were revoked. If they handle the purse strings for this group, what kind of corners might they be cutting? WHY were their licenses revoked? Is there a state agency where you can ask that question and maybe get a little more information?

Just my 2 cents... Good luck in this search.

JoannMarie - Well said - That what I worry about is why were their licenses revoked her suregon sounds ok - but the business sounds fishy...

I researched the surgery alone for over a year. The surgeon I used came recommended by two other patients, who were successful one by bypass and one by lapband. As bad as you want the surgery I would sure do more research on the doctor you were comfortable with by hopefully talking to some of his patients. If he is truly interested in your success surely he will give you a couple of names, of course with their blessing. Do they have a support group at Top Surgeons? A little more time now could save you a lot of time and misery later.

Indigo, you are right about the not keeping up the weight loss and I appreciate your words of encouragement. I get so excited about the weight loss and I think that 100 lbs should be gone by now. haha!!

Indiogirl

Well, I found out that Dr. Billy is amazing... but my insurance will only cover 70%. That means I am stuck paying $8000 out of pocket, and they want half of that before I can have surgery!

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Teacherica

aka Erica

Hi Erica,

I don't know what your financial situation is, so it is not for me to say how much you should spend, but I can say that you have to be absolutely sure that your surgeon is the right one for you. Don't have any doubts, otherwise please go elsewhere! He is going to be one of your partners on this new journey of yours and he is the first one, at that.

I did find out more about Dr. Billy. As I said, yesterday I met a fellow lapbander who just happens to live less than 5 minutes away from me. (That in itself was absolutely great!!!) But getting back to Dr. Billy:

She loved him!!!!!!!! His office was friendly. He has ongoing programs and newsletters to help his patients. He answers phone calls and is always available to his patients. He is proficient in this surgery and he is a good doctor to boot. (The good doctor part comes from my daughter, who happens to be a doctor, too.)

There are many people on this board who have doctors like this. That's what we all want. I went to Dr. Cunneen at Cedars. Great doctor! Grrrrrreat! A little hard to get through to, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. My son-in-law had his surgery done in Burbank by Dr. Quilici. Good doctor, terrible office, 3 hour waits, but my son-in-law was verrry happy with his surgery. I've heard mixed reviews about Dr. Paya in West Hills. I wanted to go to him, since I live in Woodland Hills, right nearby. Another lapbander on the board is very upset with some "after" charges that are now coming through. My insurance wouldn't cover him, because he wasn't part of their circle of "excellence." My own doctor said he was fine, but recommended Cedars. A nurse in my daughter's office had hers done at Los Robles. All these sound like they would be in your area, if you are looking at Dr. Billy.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck and keep your chin up. It's going to happen.

Love,

Ellen

I researched the surgery alone for over a year. The surgeon I used came recommended by two other patients, who were successful one by bypass and one by lapband. As bad as you want the surgery I would sure do more research on the doctor you were comfortable with by hopefully talking to some of his patients. If he is truly interested in your success surely he will give you a couple of names, of course with their blessing. Do they have a support group at Top Surgeons? A little more time now could save you a lot of time and misery later.

Indigo, you are right about the not keeping up the weight loss and I appreciate your words of encouragement. I get so excited about the weight loss and I think that 100 lbs should be gone by now. haha!!

Beachlover - yep I totally get it about the weight loss so many pple here think that they should be losing 20 lbs a week - we aren't bypass girls - and heck they don't lose it that fast either. It's cuz compared to what we use to eat and lack of exercise - we think it should be falling off with how little we eat now and the exercise that we are doing.. And that gets some in a funk that its not coming off super fast - but like I alway say the turtle won the race not the hare.

I just don't want you to be dissappointed when it's 1 lbs or 2 lbs or even 1/2 lbs in a week -

Suggestion here - dont get on the scales every day - I picked thrusday (the day I got home from the hospital) and that was my weigh in day - yes I would get on it some times during the week but the only day that counted was Thrusdays... I did pretty good about not getting on daily - it was to discourgaing as one day down 2 next up 3 - so I really really believe in once a week - i still weigh in every thursday...

Hi Thank you so much for your message.. The first fill I had I felt like I would die if I ate meat etc. I went to the Dr about 4 months or 5 even later and told him everything. He said, well what do you want me to do? I thought and I said well maybe just fill it a little so he did 2? does that sound right...It was a little better but I am just now getting where I can eat somewhat normal and I am thinking I need to go back... food gets stuck and I have a bad pain...

I have gone back to bad habits I have to say...because I mostly could only eat junk.. I have been lost like I said..

What is a typical day look like for a bandster and where do you guys get your fancy cute little graphs???

Cindy

Hi Thank you so much for your message.. The first fill I had I felt like I would die if I ate meat etc. I went to the Dr about 4 months or 5 even later and told him everything. He said, well what do you want me to do? I thought and I said well maybe just fill it a little so he did 2? does that sound right...It was a little better but I am just now getting where I can eat somewhat normal and I am thinking I need to go back... food gets stuck and I have a bad pain...

I have gone back to bad habits I have to say...because I mostly could only eat junk.. I have been lost like I said..

What is a typical day look like for a bandster and where do you guys get your fancy cute little graphs???

Cindy

Cindy

I am a bit confused here (easliy done :0) but why would your doc give you a fill if you couldn't eat meat? ? Dumb doc imho...

You have to be able to eat regular food just smaller amounts

In my 1st year I kept a food diary - I ate between 800-1200 a day - I would vary them and I exercised 4-5 times a week

I will attach a typical menu of how I ate (well I still eat this way even today)

This isn't a diet but a lifestyle change in your eating we now eat healthy 98% of the time allow for treats 2% of the time.

Tickers - here's the link that will show you how to do it

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Well I am off to the gym - So will CBL...

Thanks... Yes, I know Amistad. I went to Indio High School, as my father did.

Well I did find out stuff about this Dr. He has no malpractice in his history and he used to work at a hospital. I also talked to a former patient (as of October 3rd) from lapbandtalk.com and she said she was very happy with him and has had no complications.

The actual surgery center will do my fills for free for the first year and I can speak to a dietitian via phone whenever I want to. That has worked with me. (I have lost 15 lbs alone on the diet she told me to follow and I have completely changed my eating habits since June) I would love to find a support group and make some friends. That's why I am here on this website which was recommended by my dietician. I feel a whole lot better and am now ready to go through with the surgery.

Thanks for being there.

Erica

Thanks... Yes, I know Amistad. I went to Indio High School, as my father did.

Well I did find out stuff about this Dr. He has no malpractice in his history and he used to work at a hospital. I also talked to a former patient (as of October 3rd) from lapbandtalk.com and she said she was very happy with him and has had no complications.

The actual surgery center will do my fills for free for the first year and I can speak to a dietitian via phone whenever I want to. That has worked with me. (I have lost 15 lbs alone on the diet she told me to follow and I have completely changed my eating habits since June) I would love to find a support group and make some friends. That's why I am here on this website which was recommended by my dietician. I feel a whole lot better and am now ready to go through with the surgery.

Thanks for being there.

Erica

Ok Erica - Make me feel old :cool2: your dad :w00t: What year did he graduate?? I ended up at Amistad cuz I was PG and then truly went to COD and finished my credits - My dipolma say Amistad - but I am IHS class of 73 :smile2:

My son is 37 - but again I started really young (16) heck my oldest grandchild is 17 :cool2:

As long as you are comfortable with your doc that's very important..

I love lbt - it's my transfer addiction - and you will make friends here that will last a lifetime - I love the ladies I met here - infact my Lucky #7 group met last July at the Mall of America - and we (I'm here to help thread) are talking about getting together in June in Vegas..

Ok Erica - Make me feel old :cool2: your dad :w00t: What year did he graduate?? I ended up at Amistad cuz I was PG and then truly went to COD and finished my credits - My dipolma say Amistad - but I am IHS class of 73 :smile2:

My son is 37 - but again I started really young (16) heck my oldest grandchild is 17 :cool2:

As long as you are comfortable with your doc that's very important..

I love lbt - it's my transfer addiction - and you will make friends here that will last a lifetime - I love the ladies I met here - infact my Lucky #7 group met last July at the Mall of America - and we (I'm here to help thread) are talking about getting together in June in Vegas..

I graduated in 1997 a year early technically by a test. My dad graduated in 1975? He is now 51 years old. Now Indio High has a daycare on campus with a waiting list. Every class I was in had at least 2 pregnant girls in them. One girl even had 4 kids by the time she was a senior. I found out that by 1998, Indio was one of the leading High Schools of pregant girls. I now work at a Junior High as a teacher in Oxnard California and I have a 13 year old student with a baby who is almost a year old.

I look forward to making more friends. Vegas sounds fun! I go there at least 1 time a year.

I understand your addiction trade. I believe this is a good trade. It's great to hear your success. I hope for success like yours.

Its amazing how everyones lap band journey is different. I had a fill last Tuesday (today is Saturday) and I am definitely feeling the restriction today. Last night I tried to eat chicken and couldn't. This morning I had oatmeal and could not get all of it down. lunch was cottage cheese, fruit cup and tonight I had a Healthy choice. With that I went real real slow and got most of it down but it took a while. The more restricted you get the slower you have to go (at least that is what I am finding out). Now I know what they mean by very small, slow bites. My surgeon said, "just remember on Thanksgiving eat your Protein first". I went and walked 2.4 miles today which I have been doing every day. Excerise is very key to this program to all of you newbies. Anyway everyone is doing fine so thats good. Glad to hear it. Talk with you all later. Tomorrow I get my carpets cleaned and getting everything ready for Thanksgiving.

Beckyo:biggrin:

Apples

13_10_13.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! 13_10_13.gif

Hope you have a GREAT DAY .

.13_10_14.gif

I graduated in 1997 a year early technically by a test. My dad graduated in 1975? He is now 51 years old. Now Indio High has a daycare on campus with a waiting list. Every class I was in had at least 2 pregnant girls in them. One girl even had 4 kids by the time she was a senior. I found out that by 1998, Indio was one of the leading High Schools of pregant girls. I now work at a Junior High as a teacher in Oxnard California and I have a 13 year old student with a baby who is almost a year old.

I look forward to making more friends. Vegas sounds fun! I go there at least 1 time a year.

I understand your addiction trade. I believe this is a good trade. It's great to hear your success. I hope for success like yours.

Ercia back in 1970 they sent you to continuation - Your Dad could know my Bro's (both gone now:frown:) James Wright was class of 74 and Michael Class of 76.. Ask if he knows James or Michael Wright or maybe even by stepBro - Brad Olsen..

#1 thing you have to do is take the word hope our of your vocabulary and replace it with WILL.. Posititive affirmations work...

Its amazing how everyones lap band journey is different. I had a fill last Tuesday (today is Saturday) and I am definitely feeling the restriction today. Last night I tried to eat chicken and couldn't. This morning I had oatmeal and could not get all of it down. lunch was cottage cheese, fruit cup and tonight I had a Healthy choice. With that I went real real slow and got most of it down but it took a while. The more restricted you get the slower you have to go (at least that is what I am finding out). Now I know what they mean by very small, slow bites. My surgeon said, "just remember on Thanksgiving eat your Protein first". I went and walked 2.4 miles today which I have been doing every day. Excerise is very key to this program to all of you newbies. Anyway everyone is doing fine so thats good. Glad to hear it. Talk with you all later. Tomorrow I get my carpets cleaned and getting everything ready for Thanksgiving.

Beckyo:biggrin:

Yep Becky restriction is key and yes that's why we say small bite - chew and eat slowly - even today 16 months later I forget - but as you will find out when you forget - your band will remind you :)- just be careful that you are not too tight - how is it when you drink.. When I was too tight I could barely drink my coffee in the morning..

---------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning Gang

My little fur babies had me up at the crack of dawn again this morning (well 6:30 but I didn't go to bed until after 12:30)..

Yesterday went to Phyl's house for a little social hour with her and her neighbors and to help her Celebrate her bday early (11/25) - I am attaching pic of when we 1st met last November 11/28 - and one from last night 11/22.. But gotta say the picture of her for some reason really doesn't show off her weight loss as it should - she is 2.8 away from losing 100 lbs. I made her a tee shirt with her picture surrounded by 10 gold stars which represents 10 lbs for each star which she will wear once she hits that 100 lbs mark.

Well today will do my Thanksgiving shopping - take my fur babies to the groomer and get ready for work..

Have a good Sunday... I will CBL:tongue:

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Hey Janet, great pictures of you and Phyl. I can certainly tell her weight loss. You girls are doing so well. I just got done reading about 6 pages of the 50s thread. I think everyone is over there tonight. Tonight is Sunday and I have definitely had restriction today. My drinking liquids is just fine. I don't have any problems with that. It is hard at first to get food down. I had spaghetti tonight and I was able to get 1/2 c down but had to go real real slow. I was real hungry when I sat down to eat but after I got done with it I was completely full and I still am this evening. I probably won't be able to eat much Thanksgiving but that is okay. Thats what this is all about. I have consistently kept losing so I am happy with that. Talk with you all tomorrow. Glad to hear everyone is going along okay.

Beckyo:tt1:

Good Morning Gang...

Happy Monday - 3 more working day and I am on PTO for a week - Yea !!!

Going up north to see son & family on Friday be back Sunday - PS consultation on Tuesday :cool2: I don't like pain... So we will see whats up there and how much it's going to cost..

Becky - Sounds like you are at your sweet spot - I am happy for you - It's not about pigging out on Turkey day - but enjoying family and friends - and enjoying what you can eat..

That being said - 16 months out I still miss eating big meals at times - it's all about the mental comfort that food gives us. But I gotta say I feel so much better this year than 2 yrs ago heck even since last yr..

Kathy - 12/7 will be here before you know it - Phyl and I were talking about you (good things :thumbup:) on Saturday - Thought you might want to go to the Tamale Festival???

You gotta pm me with your info - where you are staying etc

Well gotta get my butt in gear - TTYL :ohmy:

Good morning. Tomorrow at this time we will be on the road. Today will be filled with packing, loading the car, getting food stuff ready, etc. Will run to the gym quick this morning. Hubby is on vacation so is going with me. I hit 86 yesterday morning! I am out of the 220's and into the 2-teens. Less than 20 to get to the 100's. I haven't been under 200 for 26 yrs, since before I was pregnant with my son. I no longer have anything in my closet that is too small. I had a few things for years hoping they'd fit. Funny one of the pair of jeans fit but looked so funny like clown pants. They were very high waisted, pleated and narrow ankles, probably from the 80's.

Janet what kind of plastic surgery are you looking into? Enjoy your time off.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have so much to be grateful for this year, my new lifestyle, my band, my friends here, etc. etc. etc.