Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay... I know that I am an emotional eater and that I eat without thinking. However, I really seem to be out of control right now. It's like I know that this surgery is coming up and I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT AGAIN! Which I know is untrue and I should be cutting out the sugar now to make it easier later, but what I know I should do and what I am doing are completely different. Anyone else really struggle right before surgery?

Jillian, i had my surgery on the 21st of May. I ate like tomorrow would be my last day on earth. I was supposed to be on a 2 week pre-op diet but i just couldn't make myself do it. My doctor didn't come to see me after surgery so I'm not sure of what happen with the liver shrinking situation.

Now I'm not hungry at all. 4 days after surgery i have lost 10 lbs. Tomorrow marks my 1 wk.

Jillian, I am in your boat. I know my surgery date is approaching , therefore I keep thinking; this could be my last.... pancake or ......(fill in the blank.) I know I should be using this time more wisely. How have the others made the transition? Maybe it is when they start the pre-op surgical liquid diet.< /p>

Yup...my date is set for 6/30. My 2 week pre-op diet begins on 6/16...and my mindset is what food(s) can I enjoy "one last time". It feels out of control and part of me doesn't want to control it. Then the rational part of me, wants to nip it in the bud.

I also have concerns over having made the decision to go w/ the lap band over GBP because of my sweet tooth...but the I just feel that the lap band is a better choice.

I'm hopeful that we will find our way to get the final binges under control and move on to a much healthier lifestyle!! Best of luck to you!!

when i knew i was scheduled for surgery on may 21,i started feeling like i was saying goodbye to someone close to me-food,i was eating everything and anything,and said to myself,well ill eat this,cause i'll never be able too again,and i just couldnt understand,how i;ll be able to contain myself,then,if i cant control it now,i've had the surgery,and beleive it or not ,i'm fine,and i see now that it is managable(so far,its only been a week),so dont worry ,enjoy, eat

I think this is totally normal. I did the same thing. Pre op and post op diets are hard! I'm slowly learning that food is NOT my best friend! :sad:

I am totally with you on this mindset. I am 13 days(yeah!) from surgery, do not have any pre-diet requirements so I am looking at food like I need to get my fix before I check in for my life long "Rehab" visit. I keep thinking of the things I believe will be problems for me in the future (esp Bagels and bread in general). I feel dumb thinking this way but also feel like I need to have my "last supper" and enjoy all the things I consider to be off limits in the future. Maybe this forbidden food mindset is what's making me so desperate to have them? You're not alone!!!

OMG . . . I start my liquid diet Thursday and tonight I went out for ice cream. Tomorrow night, I am going to my favorite restaurant for my favorite meal and I will probably eat like there is no tomorrow.

But I have strange willpower over weird things. I photograph a lot of weddings and I normally live for wedding cake. At my last wedding before the band date, I didn't eat cake and I just kind of went, "eh . . . I'm done with wedding cake." WEIRD!

But tomorrow night will be a different story, I just know it.

WOW...that sounds like me. I'm currently in behavior modification classes at Ohio State University (3 of 12 classes to go) and I'm beginning to feel the same urges of wanting to eat all I can while I can before the surgery - the stress is amazing. All the while in the back of my mind (and I've seen some people here touch on it) that I will eventually need to say goodbye to one of my nearest and dearest (mute) friends, food -comfort foods in particular. I don't believe it's always about the food I'm eating (and lots of it at times) but the FEELINGS that I associate with it. I need to remind myself to get in touch with my feelings (very difficult to do at times) i.e. fear, sadness, stressed, anger, hurt, happy, sad, excited, lonely and determine how best to respond to what I'm feeling vs running to the frig...it's a lifetime of un-learning signals of reward and punishment with food....."here have a popsickle you'll feel better"...."have a bowl of Soup you need it"...."I'll have a cheeseburger..I deserve it"..."we're going to get ice-cream if you're good". Does this make sense to anyone else?

Glad I am not the only one! I am just worried I won't be up to it. I did Jenny Craig quite successfully (until I gained all 99 pounds back!) but I remember the first week was worse than quitting smoking. So if that gives you any perspective they say quitting smoking can be harder than kicking heroin which means quitting emotional eating must be harder than heroin and WOW that's bad :rofl!

Anyway I just keep telling myself I can do it. I have invested 9 months in this process and MUST do it for myself and my son. he deserves to have a healthy happy mommy and of course I deserve to be the young fit person I am in my head but not my body.

I am trying as of yesterday to cut out the munching and my liquid Protein diet starts Sunday. Wish me luck and wishing everyone here luck!