Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pilates Reformer - Question

I have not been banded yet, but am devoted to Pilates reformer. It uses core muscles and there is a lot of ab work. I am curious if anyone who has already been banded does Pilates and if there is any interference or discomfort as a result of the port.

today has been 30 days since my surgery. when i went in for my first fill i asked about increasing my exercise to more than walking. i mentioned that i tried to use my ablounger and it hurt.

i was told that after 30 days i was free to do any exercise i wanted BUT the port area will hurt... you won't tear the muscle where the port is located but the pain will be there for around 3-4 months.

i was told to stock aleve!

wsw27, I'm glad there's another pilates junkee out there! I've been doing pilates with a reformer and trapeze/cadillac for two years. I was very nervous before my surgery that I wouldn't be able to do it after being banded. My surgeon assured me that I would be able to get back to it, and I did! I followed the same rules after surgery as before...if it hurts, stop. It did take a rew weeks before I was able to get back to all of it, but the good news is that I am back to all of it now. As a matter of fact, I just bought my own reformer cadillac combo so I don't have to be confined to the pilates studio hours! Good luck!

Thanks Aunt Lucy! You've made my day. I'm so glad to hear you were able to get back your reformer work. I expect to have a period of recovery, but I was worried that I would feel too much discomfort from the port to go back to reformer work. Pilates has changed my life in so many ways. I don't want to give it up.

P.S. I'm so jealous that you have a reformer and cadillac at home.

I saved for some time to get my own equipment. It was definitely a dream realized for me. The studio I go to doesn't have night (after 7) or weekend hours, so I was constantly struggling to get there. And since pilates is one of the only forms of exercise that I not only enjoy but CRAVE, it was important to me that I'm able to do it when I want to. Plus, I thought it would help with my weight loss and toning.

Have you tried gyrotonics? If you love pilates, you'd probably like gyrotonics just as much.

I haven't tried gyrotonics yet. I will look for a studio. Thanks for the tip. Enjoy your reformer.

I also do pilates on the reformer and love it. I just had a low profile port put in 3 months ago, along with a Tummy Tuck. I started back to pilates this weeks and I have to say that it is harder than it was, and I do feel some pain at my new port site, but it's definetely doable and I know it will get better. The stomach muscles are very weak after the muscle repair with my tummy tuck, but I'll just keep plugging along. I'm going to google gyrotonics. Haven't heard of it in Utah!

I had to take it slow and easy when I first started back on the reformer and particularly any of the exercises that involve a lot of articulation of the spine and core. Simple footwork on the reformer didn't seem to bother me much. Just listen to your body!

Let me know if any of you check out gyrotonics. I absolutely love it. When I do it, I completely get lost in my own world. I can't even keep count of how many I'm doing because I go off into some la la land. You can get such great stretches in your back. That's actually why I started doing pilates...back problems after a car accident. The 2nd place I went for physical therapy does pilates-based PT, and they also have gyrotonics. The equipment for it is really strange looking...some say it looks like a torture device. And the movement on it is equally as bizarre at first. It uses a lot of the same principles as pilates. If you check it out, I hope you enjoy it...it's certainly not as common as pilates yet.

I have an Aeropilates machine I order from QVC a couple of months ago. I was concerned about being able to "start" working out on it. When I saw the machine on QVC I thought I had to have it but was worried that I might not be able to use it especially after my conversation last week with the Bariatic Surgery Coordinator. She said that she had never heard of pilates, continued to warn me to not do too much but could not explain what that means. Thanks you guys.

Godsend: So have you started using your machine? How do you like it? What did you have to pay for it? I would really like to buy a reformer, but I'm not sure I know enough to use it correctly yet. More info please!

Kareyquilts it's so nice to talk to you. I have read a number of your comments in various threads and have been inspired by your weight loss. Thank you for allowing us to go along on your journey to a happier, healthier you.

I am using my machine. I had been focusing on lower body exercises but last night, I did ab work as well. Instead of the "100" I did the "30". LOL. I am out almost two months. As I said, it came from QVC. It was that day's special value for 299 or 288. At any rate, there are three monthly payments for a total of 360.00. I ordered it on Saturday and I think UPS made their first attempt to deliver it on Tuesday. I went to QVC.com and saw that they have them back in stock and that they will be doing a show on 23 June. If you're intersted, you may want to watch out for it. I also cut a pasted the description of my machine in this note for you to see.

Good luck with your decision.

f4536.001?$uslarge$

Looking to help strengthen and tone your entire body? The Reformer does all of that--plus it gives you a great cardio workout!

Ergonomically designed, the unit offers a two-position headrest and oversized, high-density shoulder pads. Its heavy-duty steel construction with nonslip frame caps make for exceptional strength and durability. The quiet, ultra-smooth rollers bear the weight of the sliding carriage. From Aero Pilates.

As always, please consult your personal physician before beginning any diet or exercise program.

• Includes Reformer unit, removable foot bar, cardio board, four resistance cords, one 42-minute instructional workout DVD, and one 24-minute cardio board workout
  • Folds for storage
  • Open, measures 85"L x 20"W x 27"H
  • 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Made in China

Tune in to QVC for Pilates Home Studio Monday, June 23, 2008 from 6 – 7 a.m. and 10 – 11 p.m. ET.

Edited by Godshelp

Godshelp: That looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info. Have you ever used the Stott's pilates reformer? I'm wondering how they compare. I think I will check it out. I wish you the best on your weight loss journey!