Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal? Need advice please!

I've been banded for a little over six weeks. I had my first fill on Tuesday the 13th, well an attempted fill. I have the AP Large, which holds 14cc and the Dr put in 6cc. He said he normally does it under X-ray, but he was able to find my port and did it in the office.

From everything I've read, it's standard practice for the Dr to make you drink some Water, make sure everything goes down okay, then if not remove or if it does, send you on your way. Well, Dr filled me, threw away the needle and gloves, said we were done and then said goodbye. No water, no asking how I was feeling, no nothing. Well, from everything I've read I decided I'd have a couple of sips of water when I got out to the car to make sure it went down because I didn't want to get to work and have issues. It seemed to go down just fine, then on the way to work I got the gurgly burps but felt okay. I got to work okay, then started to feel really tight in my chest. I went to the bathroom because it's the only private place in the whole store. I started to pace and hoped that it would get better. It didn't. It proceeded to get worse and worse and worse to the point that I couldn't swallow, couldn't breathe, and I guess I must have looked pretty bad because as I waited for my mom to come and get me and take me back to the Dr office I had three people ask me if I was okay.

I don't think I've felt pain that badly in my life. (I've never had children, no other surgery, etc...closest thing I can compare it to was a gall stone attack that sent me to the ER in the middle of the night thinking I was dying!).

I called ahead and told the receptionist that I was coming back in because the fill was too tight. She put me through to the nurse and no one answered, so I called again and told them I was coming immediately. I could barely breathe at this point and was gulping for air and clutching my chest. The pain was radiating out through my chest. Once I got to the Dr office and had to wait in the lobby for a minute or two, they took me back. He tried to get it out in the office, but he couldn't hit the port again. So, he said we were going to walk across the street to the X-ray place. I had to sit there for what felt like forever, though I'm sure it was less than 10 minutes. While in the X-ray room while they were getting me settled, he stated that he 'hated the lap-band' and told the X-ray tech in basically an I told you so voice that he had tried to steer me towards the bypass. They reiterated that he wasn't 'a fan of the lap-band'.

I feel like this isn't normal at all, the whole not being precautionary in the office, then the inappropriate comments about the type of surgery I've chosen. It's not the first time he's basically pointed out that he thinks the bypass would have been better.

All this posted is to get advice, opinion, etc. Tell me I'm overreacting if I am, please!

Edited by jbperry21

find yourself another doctor!!! If he isn't a fan then he won't be supported or even sympathetic. This is not a good practice.

No this is not normal in my opinion . The doc was out of line in his comments.

And 6cc's , I have a small band but that sure does seem like a LARGE fill for a first fill.

My doc always has be drink Water in front of him, asks me how i feel and has me NOT LEAVE the office or hospital until I KNOW I feel ok .

I think your doc did not treat you well and I think i would speak to him about it . I would tell him that next time your not leaving the office until you have drank Water and feel like the fill is ok ?

HTH

Mindy

He told me that 6ccs was standard for the AP Large band...I thought it sounded like a lot too considering most people seem to get 1 to 2 their first fill. I'm supposed to call tomorrow to get an appointment for Tuesday to get a fill. I'm definitely not leaving until I know for sure that I'm okay. I was surprised when he never even asked me to drink any Water. I just wanted to make sure I'm not making a big deal out of nothing. I guess I'll contact the bariatric program at the hospital and see if I can switch to one of the other doctors after this fill.

you need to find a doc who actually knows what he is doing with the lapband. your doc obciously does not. see if you can find a doc that specialized in just the lapband not someone who does all bariatric surgeries. see if you have a fill center in your area. you can typically have swelling up to an hour after an fill. it is important to to drink Water for 30 min in their office after getting a fill. yes what you described is the absolute worst pain ever. good luck.

It doesn't sound like he really knows what he's doing, and how is he supposed to support you in this if he doesn't have faith in the lap band? I'd find another doctor and I'd let him know exactly why.

Gee, it makes me wonder why he performs LBS if he doesn't like the band. I would definately be finding a different doctor.

I am so glad to know that I wasn't overreacting or whatever. I tend to do that sometimes, but it makes me feel better to know that what I experienced is abnormal and my Dr really doesn't seem to be overly concerned. He was very unconcerned about the whole thing and not sympathetic to my pain or situation. I'm just glad the pain didn't start on my way back to work and cause a wreck or other serious situation.

He sounds like an unprofessional ass to me. Run, don't walk to another MD that knows what he/she is doing. Good luck. SS

He told me that 6ccs was standard for the AP Large band...I thought it sounded like a lot too considering most people seem to get 1 to 2 their first fill. I'm supposed to call tomorrow to get an appointment for Tuesday to get a fill. I'm definitely not leaving until I know for sure that I'm okay. I was surprised when he never even asked me to drink any Water. I just wanted to make sure I'm not making a big deal out of nothing. I guess I'll contact the bariatric program at the hospital and see if I can switch to one of the other doctors after this fill.

I think it would be a good idea to contact the hospital to see if you can get in w/ another doc in the program if you have that option .

I would maybe do it before the fill if you can ? YOu can probably contact the makers of the AP band and ask what the "standard" first fill is for that band ? 6cc's just sounds like an awful lot that's almost half of the fill level of the band !

Good luck let us know what happens

Mindy

Had my fill this afternoon with the same doctor. He was much more sympathetic this time around and apologized for what happened the last visit. He said he was very surprised that it happened as it did, because 99% of his patients that he puts 6cc in the AP Large band don't even feel restriction. He wanted to err on the side of caution and only put in 3cc today. He made he drink a cup of Water, then had me sit in the office for 30 minutes to see how I was feeling. I'm going to stick with it for now because the nurse I spoke to has made it sound like it might be difficult to get in with a different doctor. I'm being cautiously optimistic at this point. I came home, had a bowl of Soup and I feel no restriction whatsoever...so in 2 weeks or so I'll see about going back and getting more.

Wow, that's just crazy! I'm sorry you had to go through all the fill just because he didn't do his job properly. Sounds like the 2nd time around is going much better for you. Keep us posted! I get my first fill on the 28th. Thanks for the reminder on what to expect.

Sounds like a good plan . for what its worth my fills take up to 4-7 days to kick in so dont freak if you dont feel anything yet.

Also I dont tolerate larege fills . large fills with a 4cc band are 1cc at a time.

So I get .2 .3 or .5 cc's at a time .

And those small amounts do it for me just fine !!

So Next time you go in I would urge you to get a small fill as well and take it slow. its better to go slowly than to be too tight.

HTH

Mindy