Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op, and a little scared!

So I was banded 3 days ago on Thursday, May 15. I'm still in a considerable amount of pain, especially around the port area. I've been sitting around asking myself, "what have I done to myself?" for the last day or so. I'm kind of freaking out!

One issue is that I'm comparing the pain from this surgery to the pain I had when my gallbladder was removed laparascopically in '06. I don't remember being in anywhere near this much pain, and I know that by 5 days post-op with the gallbladder surgery I was up and about and actually drove 3 hours in the car to see my mother with no problem.

But, I do know that the pain will subside, and I know that the port incision is likely to be more painful than the other incisions, and is larger, so it will take longer to completely heal.

The thing that is really freaking me out though is that I got stuck and slimed on Water when I got home from the hospital yesterday. I can barely swallow Clear liquids. If I take more than one tiny sip at a time, I can feel it backing up and barely trickling down my esophagus, and then coming back up. Please, please tell me that this is only because of post-op swelling, and that I won't always feel slight pain and pressure every single time I swallow, even water!!!!! I don't know if I could live this for long, no matter how much weight it caused me to lose! In the short term, I'm scared I will become dehydrated.

Ugh, I just feel so awful. And for the record, the thought of eating anything since coming out of surgery makes me want to run screaming. I've not had ANY hunger at all. Hmmm, I wonder if I'm sub-consciously depressed about that? I haven't weighed myself yet, bc since I've taken in so few calories since Wednesday, I don't think any pounds lost will be "real" - as in, I know they'll come right back as soon as I start eating pureed food....

Anyway, please, please tell me your stories of feeling awful at first and then feeling better. I need to envision the light at the end of this tunnel!

Oh hope sweetie...I felt the exactly same way as you. The thoughts of what the hell did I do to myself and the port pain and gas pain were extremely painful. Thank goodness for lortab elixir...all you can do is just take one day at a time. It does get better I promise...and it is probably the swelling that is keeping you from drinking lots of Water at one time. Get some gatorade or powersport to keep you hydrated. My surgery was a little over a wk ago and I am able to bend finally to clean my house. I havent taken any elixir for pain in a few days....but I do have to take it in order to get to sleep at a decent hour at nite. I am not sure but I think I have insomnia or I'm sleeping way too much during the day because my body is still recovering and needs the rest. Believe me as soon as I know you will know.

Take care and just remember to sip and breathe in and out and try to relax...if you need motivation look at ur before pics and that will remind you of why you are doing this. I put my before pic on my desktop background so I see it everyday.

Hell this morning I looked in the mirror this morning and I could see ACTUAL bones in my NECK AREA...I about flipped out. I'm on pureed foods now..and since preop I've lost 13 lbs, but I am trying not to get discouraged because we're not suppose to be concentrating on losing weight right now...just concentrating on healing and getting ready to kick some serious booty at the gym.

blessings to you sweetie

Dolphin

I want you to know this surgery is not that easy, I hurt for 2 - 3 weeks, but absolutely followed the rules by the book and now at four weeks after surgery including a 7 day pre-diet I have lost 24 lbs.! Purreed and regular foods are not causing me gain. Believe me if the band is at the right tightness, you will not eat too much, because you will be full. Hang in there, just do what the doc says and you will be fine. What you are feeling is normal. Read my blogs and I hope they will help you!!

I was banded on May 12. I was able to drink Water or anything right away. I think you should call your doctor if you can't even get water down. You might be totally swollen shut. Do you have anything in your band? You might need an unfill. I would not take a chance.

Bonnie

I think I'd call my doctor. I was banded on Thursday also and I've been swallowing just fine since the first night. I know we're all different and maybe you're just a slow healer but I'd get my doctor's opinion rather than just ours. Good luck!

I was banded on 4/30 and had a difficult time getting down more than an ounce at a time. Small sips was the name of the game for me.

If you're not able to get down any Water, you should call your doctor, though.

Oh no...I'm so sorry that you are feeling badly. I was banded this past Friday the 16th. And while I am uncomfortable...ok...pain...I have been able to swallow since day two. I was not offered anything on day 1. I've had Water, watered down fruit juice, and chicken bullion. I would call your doctor and ask if your symptoms are acceptable. Feel better.

Hope- Hang in there! I was banded on 5/13 and today (5/18) is the first day that I have gone all day without taking any pain meds. I have had quite a bit of pain out of my port site, but all of a sudden last night and this morning it is slowly easing up. Thank goodness!! As far as keeping Water down- I was not allowed ANY fluids after my surgery on Tuesday. Wednesday morning they did a leak check and then allowed me to start on ice chips and little medicine cups of Water or juice. Don't be afraid to take as much of the pain meds as you need to get you through the next few days. Afterall, they say if you wait and take it when you are already in severe pain- you waited too late. Keep it under control and it will help you cope through the healing. If you are not able to keep ice chips down, I would definitely call you Dr. You may also want to try SF popsicles. They too will help you with fluids.

Good luck to you and hang in there!!

I am sorry you are not feeling well. I was also banded on 5/15. I do still have some soreness at my port site but the real pain has subsided. I have no trouble with liquids and have even had a couple of Protein Shakes. I would call your doctor if you are having trouble with Water.< /p>

It is so interesting to see all the differences in how we all felt and how we all progressed. I was given custard only a few hours after my surgery! I was actually shocked! I asked for ice chips only moments after waking up.

I am still a teeny bit sore in the port area or when I get out of bed or sit up/bend over without thinking of going slowly. (I was banded on 5/5) but overall I am feeling great..tired, very tired. I sleep a lot and usually get a nap in during the day.

I do think I need to be more concious of the amount of Protein I am taking in. I cannot figure out how to get in 60 g of Protein without a Protein shake.

ANd Bridget...I am from Maine too! I had my surgery in Portland. I didn't even know there was a doc in Biddeford doing this surgery!

Take care, You all will feel better soon.

Cindi