Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Liquid Diet

Guest BiCoastal

Today is day two of my 2 week pre op liquid diet and I feel like 1) I'm starving 2) very weak and 3) my brain has stopped working. I did ok yesterday during the day time, but I attribute that to the 5 hours I spent in the hospital for my pre surgery testing - couldn't leave the waiting room hence couldn't get any food or Water etc. Today is a different story. I went to get some more pre op diet and post op diet items as I'll be traveling for work until about 3 days prior to my surgery. Anyway so here I am going up and down the aisle as the super Walmart near by and my strength is waining. Aisle after aisle of stuff I would love to have right now and here I am picking up slim fast, chicken broth and sugar free Jello. It was very very tough. But I made it out of there surprisingly with only one contraband item - tostidos minis. I don't even like chips but I needed to feel something with texture (and not chalky) and in my sick little brain I thought seems how I don't really like chips that I'll only have a few. I was amazingly correct - I had only 6-7 chips and while I figured this couldn't be that bad as say making a fat steak or sticking my head in a trough of cookie dough but I know it wasn't the brightest idea either. Day two I'm turning into a nut job. I also feel very weak and tired and scared I won't make it. :woot:

I'm on day 3 and I feel your hunger. I only have to do this 7 days. I have been putting frozen berries in my Protein shake and this seems to help. I also have been popping calcuim and Fiber chews (I bought those chocolate viativ brand) and that seems to help me mentally b/c they taste great. Don't forget your Vitamins, you'll need them for energy. I love to drink iced tea w/ lemon and equal so that is also another "treat" I'm indulging on alot. Nothing like a little caffiene with your hunger. Good luck :-)

P.S. My hardest part is preparing food for my family...they still have to eat!

I know how you feel. I'm not even required to be on Pre-op diet, but I'm trying to cut back anyway. I'm planning my "last meal" and when I go shopping on Monday for pre-op and post-op stuff, I think I need to take someone along so I don't get any "bad" foods. Good Luck and Stay strong!

Guest BiCoastal

That is a very wise idea - I wish I had brought someone with me to smack me around. LOL Thanks for the tips too, I think I will give it a try.

I also have started my pre-opt diet (day 3) and my doctor said it's mainly to stop you from gaining weight and get you ready for lower calorie intake.

My Pre-Opt 14 day diet (given to me by Dr. Teel) is the following:

3 Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink No Sugar 8 oz skim or 1% milk

2 Healthy Choice (or the like of - Smart Ones etc.) 220 to 300 Calories

2 cups of low Calorie Veggies No Sauce or cheese or anything just Veggies

64 oz a day of Water or zero cal drink

It all adds up to about 1000 Calories a day with any zero Calorie drinks you want

I still get hungry but I have tried to spread it out over the day saving what I can for the evening because that is the hardest for me.

I work with someone who did not even have to do the pre-opt diet - so just hang in there.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Edited by TDPW4

I am on day four of liquad diet ( have to be on for 3 weeks) and my doctore gave me meridia a apetite suppresant. I made egg flour Soup and had sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles and will have a Protein Drink (adkins with a banana mixed in for dinner) Its tough but worth the reward in the end. My doc said I can loose alot of weight on the pre op diet.

I would really like ideas on what I can have on the liqued diet.

Hi All, I start my pre-op diet Tuesday 5/20. I can have sugar free popsicles, jell-o skim milk, 100% fruit juices, crystal light, strained chicken or beef broth, strained lowfat cream Soup, Tomato Soup. 2-3 Protein Shakes per day (2 scoops in 12 oz of water). So this weekend I went shopping, figured I wouldn't be able to handle Campbells Soups for 7 days. So I found a few low fat high Protein, high Fiber, soups to make and an immersable blender to cream the soups to perfection. Plus a lot less sodium then the canned stuff. So actually I'm very excieted about starting and actually looking forward to the challenge. Just hope I feel that way come day 2,3,4,5 ect:wub:. Time will tell. Sugery is May 27th. Can't wait.:woot:

Keep up the good work !

Here is what I ate today:

EAS Protein shake w/ frozen berries blended in

5 viativ chocolate Calcium chews

fresh green Beans out of my neighbor's garden

grilled chicken breast

Zone bar

Tested out a recipe for cream of spinich Soup in my VitaMix blender (trying to find post-op recipes) using fresh spinich, tofu, onions sauted in olive oil, chicken broth and a pinch of corn starch...it was good

Guest BiCoastal

Seeing what everyone is eating has me wondering.... so long as I limit my caloric intake to 1000 per day and raise my Protein intake to around 50 per day does it matter how I get it? Hmmmm curious ....

Seeing what everyone is eating has me wondering.... so long as I limit my caloric intake to 1000 per day and raise my Protein intake to around 50 per day does it matter how I get it? Hmmmm curious ....

I guess it depends on your doctor. For me it was not just lower calorie and high Protein but very low carb. According to my doctor, the low carb high protein liquid diet is best for preparing you liver for the surgery.

:tt2:My Doctor has me on a 4 week Medifast ONLY diet! No sugar free Jello or popsicles...No GUM or sugarfree breath mints...(I keep my breath fresh with Listerine Strips.) The first week was the hardest for me, I'm on day 12 right now of the Medifast Diet and have lost 16 lbs!! I can't believe I have the willpower to do this..If it werent for my upcoming surgery (June 5th) I would never have been able to do it. I am required to loose 10% of my weight which is 23 lbs...I think I can do it.:wink_smile:

OMG!!!!!!!! I feel like I am dying too. I have done terrible on this pre-op diet! I feel like I am back on all the other diets I have done. The whole reason, well the main reason, for this surgery is to force me to have willpower! I was only required to be on the diet for 10 days. My surgery is Thursday, WOO HOO, but I can think of maybe 2 days that I have been a "good girl" and followed Doc's directions.

TDPW4 --- Why did your co-worker not do the pre-op diet? Just curious?!?!?!?!

wow u guys are great.... i only had to do a week pre-op diet but i started way before just to get my body use to it.... it was still hard because our mouth is use to chewing and moving and it is hard to say goodbye to the crap that makes u feel so good but does u so damn bad..... how sick is that... Trust me u will b ok... get a sugar free red bull and or some v- juice that should help u out some...