Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling ill 2 days post op

I had my surgery 5/14/08. I'm home on liquids but feel so much nausea and have terrible diarrhea. I'm weak and just feel so sick, like I have the flu. Can anyone help? They made it sound like I would bounce right up and be taking long walks right away. I feel horrible. I don't think it's anesthesia at this point, this just started this afternoon, 48 hrs post op.

Edited by HotMama

I absolutely did not bounce right up out of the bed. I spent my first two days post-op completely out of it.

If you've been on an all-liquid diet, the diarrhea makes sense. Lots of people experience nausea after general anesthetic.

I suggest calling your surgeon's office and explaining your symptoms to them. You do not want to start vomiting at this stage of your healing (or at any point, really).

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Guest Leslie2Lose

It took me about a week to get to feeling like myself. I didn't have the nausia, I kept the patch the hospital put on before surgery behind my ear forever. You may want to call your doctor and tell them you are nausious. He/she may prescribe something to help you with that. I had the diarrhea as well, but it passed with time. Each day got a little better for me. Everyones body heals and adjusts differently. For me, I had to rest a couple of days. Some people were up and walking a lot post-op. Listen to your body and follow your doctors orders. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

I so hope you feel better really really soon ..They have prescribed Patches for me to wear after surgery to help with the nausea ..

You rest and keep sipping if you can .. Call the DR and maybe he can prescribe you something .. Each day will get better ..Take it slow...

weight.png

Hotmama- I was just banded on 5/9 and I too was very nauseated for the first 3 days and then it got better. If you can't get anything else in...just keep sipping on Water so you don't get dehydrated. My doc gave my phenegan but I didn't take it because I would have had to crush it. Hang in there...it gets better. I am a week out today and feel fabulous!

I hate to say this, but HotMama, you might just have the flu! If you have been on a preop diet, you've just had a very stressful experience surgically and now you are recovering, you might be a bit susceptible...

Try to stay hydrated, you will definintely feel better if you do.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. My husband just came home with some dramamine chew tabs and those button bracelets. It's nice to know I'm not just being whimpy, because it is usually very hard to keep me down..........not right now though. will keep sipping on my diet lemonade and try to figure out how to get that wt loss ticker on my post.

One more idea about the diarrhea. I had it bad also, though none of your other symptoms. I know from experience this can be caused by antibiotics and I know they gave me a whopper in the IV. After 2 days of Clear Liquids I could have "full" liquids. For some reason on my list that included yogurt. I hate yogurt, but have had about 1 ounce at every meal, taking up some precious space on my 3 oz. meals, but each day was better, and I'm definitely over it for the most part. One lady I knew had been on an antibiotic for something. She had severe gastric symptoms for 3 weeks and was going in for lots of tests when a pharmicist asked her if she'd taken medication. When she answered yes, he said "go home and eat some yogurt" She said she was better the next day. Just a suggestion that might help some people

There's also a product called Culterelle that you can buy (CVS, etc). It has the bacteria that's in yogurt in a capsule. When I give my kids antibiotics, I'll add this to their milk (just open it up and dump it in). Their pediatrician recommends it to keep the stomach flora stabilized. You could probably just put it in the fluids you drink and not worry about the volume from actual yogurt.

Me when I get diarrhea eating a bannana helps. Since your on liquids ask your doctor about possibly pureeing one a blender with some yogurt and milk to make a thin drink.

Everytime I take antibiotics I make a banna shake or eat em whole cause I cant stand plain yogurt.

Or try one of the yogurt drinks they have for kids now. I debated getting a pack for my kids to try the other day since my daughter is on depo provera now and has to watch her Calcium intake and those drinks were one of the things her dr recomended.

I try to avoid OTC meds for diarrhea sinse they seem to make me super gassy.

Hey all. New day and feeling a bit better. Diarrhea seems to have stopped, and the nausea is at a minimum. It may have been the pain meds because I started wretching after I took it last night, before bed. THAT was not fun. Will try to fly solo today and put up with the minor aches and occasional discomforts to see if in deed that is the problem. Will keep sipping on fluids, and drink my 3 Protein Shakes very slowly today. Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Glad you're feeling better. I'm sure it's a great relief. I was afraid to even take any pain medication other then tylenol because I often have stomach problems when I've taken it before. Last time I took vicoden I spent the next morning feeling like I was in hell. Luckily when I got my liquid pain medication home my daughter (who is a nurse) took one look at it and said "that's vicoden" (with a generic name) She's had the same reaction to vicoden. If you have liquid Tylenol try a dose of that. I was shocked at how well it worked. Good luck-each day should be better. I'm so sorry you had such a rough start.

Yeah, they do make it sound like everyone will be up and at'em quickly. I have had a low grade fever which makes me feel bad. I get my walking in and my liquid but don't think I'm getting enough Protein to have energy. The only Protein Drink I like is Instant Breakfast. The others make me want to throw up. Hang in there and listen to your body.

I'm an instant Breakfast person, too. I agree, no matter what the flavor, all the others smell and taste the same. Except for Isopure. I tried that and liked it well enough. It does not have THAT SMELL! It's also clear, and easier to get down if you aren't feeling well.