Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery this Thursday, 5/15, and freaking out!!!

So I'm scheduled for surgery at 8am this Thursday, 5/15, and I've been all emotional about it this past weekend. What if something goes wrong during the operation? Am I really sure that the risk will be worth the return? It's horrible to actually let yourself imagine what it would be like for your family if you died. I've started to feel terribly guilty about this. Just now the hospital coordinator was taking my medical history over the phone, and she asked me if I had a living will or any 'advanced directives' that I'd like to make known to the doctors. Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I actually gasped when she asked me, and she apologized, saying, "sorry, we have to ask everyone that question....I'm sure you'll be just fine!"

I think at this point I'm feeling equal parts frightened, selfish, and can't-sit-still excited.

Anyone else going in this Thursday?

Well let me just say that I KNEW that if I didn't do something about my weight that I was going to end up dead...that was a guarantee. The surgery is quite safe, but yes there are risks. However, after losing 96 pounds the risk is VERY MUCH worth it. I can't even begin to describe what a wonderful NEW life I have found. For me the return is better than I could have ever imagined. Yes there were tough times and there always will be tough times, but now I have more confidence in myself. You are not being selfish. By taking control of the weight now you will be able to give more in the future. I am better at my job, in my family, and at living life now.

Hope this calms some of your fears. Bandland is really great!

Iwas kind of feeling the same way you are a couple weeks ago. I let all of those what ifs play through my head then I realized if I DON'T do it, chances are I won't be around in 10 or 15 years anyway. I figured getting the band is MUCH less risky than living the way I am now. KWIM?

Good luck on Thursday!!!!!

This is a tool that we get to choose.. I am thrilled that we are blessed in a time we can get it.. I agree I am scared too.. That is so natural to wonder and worry ,this is huge.. but you know what it is the best new start we all get to share and do ... So excited in Arizona and can't wait for Monday ... I am right behind you ..

I will circle the 15th on my calendar and know I will be thinking of you ..

weight.png

I am right there with you guys!! I'm beginning to freak out a bit and starting with the usual worries.

I'm not worried about the actual surgery, as I have had quite a few these past few years, but I am more worried about my ability to stick with this for the rest of my life!! I worry that I will take too big of bites and throw-up, worried that even with the band in place, I still won't be able to loose weight. I don't want to be heavy the rest of my life. I don't want to be a failure anymore. I just want to get this over with - the waiting is driving me crazy!! (can you tell?!)

But - on the positive side - this site has been a godsend! All of the great posts on this website and in the chatroom have been so supportive and caring, and that makes it seem possible. It also doesn't help that my rock (my husband) has been traveling these past three weeks (he's in London now) and even will be traveling up until surgery next week. NEXT WEEK!!! :eek: the 22nd is getting here faster and faster! sorry for the rambling.

Thanks for listening!!! :thumbup:

Terri

I had my band done Feb. 1, 2008 in Tijuana and I can so relate to how you are feeling. I was so scared, but yet so excited. Now 3 months later and 30 lbs lighter I have no regrets. The research of people that die during lapband surgery shows you are at a VERY low risk of not coming back home to your kids. You'll be fine! This is a very low risk surgery and most post-op complications are mild. Just do all the things your Dr. instructs you to afterward and it will lessen your chances of problems. I hope you do great, and I will keep you in my thoughts, cause word for word reading your blog is just how I felt. GO FOR IT, It's worth it!GOOD LUCK!!

I will be banded on the 15th too!! I am really excited, but nervous, not so much about the actual surgery but more about living with the lap-band. I did a ton of research before I decided to take this huge step, but it is still scary. I worry that I will never be able to eat my favorite foods, but then I am also looking forward to food not being the center of my life. I am just rambling:blush: good luck to everyone!!!

I was banded on May 7th and i felt the SAME way!! Every time they said something about a living will i would freak out, when i went in the day of surgery I started crying and didn't know if i wanted to do it anymore but they gave me some happy meds and the next thing i knew i was awake and starting my journey! You will all be fine, don't let your nerves get in the way of your new life that you DESERVE!!! Good luck to you all:thumbup:

I think everyone goes through the panic stage. Your not alone. Just breathe deep and relax. It's not too bad. You can do this. And this is for your health, it is considered an elective surgery, but truely we do what we have to do.

I went through super panic. Surgery is scary, and it is life changing. Perfectly natural. You will be fine.

I just had mine yesterday (5-13) and I'm doing great! I was apprehensive of course but would only let myself think of how great it would be after the surgery. You'll do fine, I did!