Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Common Problem Foods

Here is a list of common foods that can get stuck or cause problems. Some or all of these my effect you. This is only a short list. You will have to go through trial and error to discover if any of these foods you can tolerate. Just remember to chew, chew, chew your food really well.

1. Red meat such as steak, roast beef, and pork. Red meat is high in muscle Fiber, which is difficult to separate even with a great deal of chewing. Always be careful and chew well.

2. Dry meat.

3. Shrimp.

4. Untoasted bread or doughy breads.

5. Pasta.< /p>

6. Rice.

7. Peanut Butter.< /p>

8. Membrane of citrus fruits.

9. Seeds and skin of fruits and vegetables.

10. Dried fruits.

11. Fibrous vegetables such as corn, asparagus & celery.

12. Nuts.

13. Coconut.

14. popcorn.< /p>

15. Greasy or fried foods.

I have only tried Pasta, Peanut butter, and some hot wings. These items went down okay before my second fill. I have had pasta since my second fill and it seems to do okay if I remember to chew well. I realize I should have skipped the hot wings, but they are my weakness. With this new fill, I will be avoiding fried foods.

Just a note on fiber. Constipation may occur after surgery and is most often attributable to decreases intake of food, fiber, and fluids. In order to prevent constipation it is important to drink plenty of fluids. It is recommended to consume a minimum of 64 ounces daily. It may be helpful to try baby prunes or unsweetened prune juice. High fiber foods may slow down stomach emptying.

Edited by andyisbanded

I can eat every single one of those foods on that list.

I do have a problem with getting enough Fiber in my diet. I do drink more than 64 oz of Water per day. It's a big problem in my life and would love to know what others do about it.

I don't have a problem with that. It's such a habit now to wait. Sometimes I wonder though if it's an hour from when I start eating or when I stop.

I won't go near alot of those foods! I do not have a problem with shrimp, corn, lettuce but cannot even chew red meat without getting sick! It's really just trial and error till you get to the "sweet spot". Good luck on your journey!!!

I haven't tried a lot of those things since I was banded... but I have tried red meat- sort of. I'm too scared to swallow- so I'll just take a bite of my hubby's, chew until the flavor is gone, then spit it out! lol, I'm so pathetic! I miss red meat.< /p>

Wow, to shorten that list it should have just said,

"After being banded you may not can eat certain foods. Just try a small amount and chew well. If you have an adverse reaction, put it on a DO NOT EAT list."

I eat alot of those foods on the list as well. And there are some foods I can't eat that aren't on the list.

But just because I have a problem with it doesn't mean someone else will.

Really, I can eat anything I want. I used to have trouble with certain foods, but my band must be looser now. My portions are small, but I can eat pretty much anything. I am glad I am at goal or I would have to get a fill to keep losing. I am sure that all the exercise I do helps.

I try not to eat bread, but if I go out to eat, that nice sourdough crusty bread calls my name. Last night I had pizza which I haven't had in a long time, but my cousin wanted to stop for pizza after picking me up from the airport. I always eat differently when I am on vacation.

I am going to have to be really careful not to gain while I am on this trip because what I gain in a week will take a month to take off.

I am so excited. I will be banded on May 19th and have been waiting for a year!! I look over all of my information everyday so I am prepared.

My husband is with me, my kids are supportive. I'm READY to go!!!!:biggrin:

I won't go near alot of those foods! I do not have a problem with shrimp, corn, lettuce but cannot even chew red meat without getting sick! It's really just trial and error till you get to the "sweet spot". Good luck on your journey!!!

I learned the trick to red meat. Cut the meat in chiclet size and chew a whole lot. That's for steak. I also steam meat a whole lot. I put pork chops in a pan with about 1/4 inch of Water and bake it for 1 1/2 hours and then just broil it to get it brown. This works well for me. For round steak, I brown it in fat and then add Water and boil it for about 1 1/2 hours adding water as necessary. This is called smothered steak and it makes its own gravy. We eat this a lot. Put a whole lot of garlic powder, salt and pepper on it. It's good. Hope you like this. It's southern cooking.:biggrin2:

Sometimes when I eat meat, I don't cut it into pieces. I cut it into slivers.

I can honestly eat anything I want. The key is the very itty bitty bites and chewing. You can chew anything down into a liquid. I did spit out

a piece of artichoke yesterday, because it felt too fiberous, even after chewing it to death.

No I can drink before and during - I think the reason was that they were worried we would get too full with the liquid and not eat food but I can sip Water or tea with my meal no problem.

Does the band get looser because the stomach shrinks?

Yes. There is a fat pad around your stomach and as you lose weight, you lose that fat pad. When it melts away, the band gets looser. When you get to goal, you don't need to keep getting fills because the fat pad is either gone or mostly gone.

Do you know why last night I could eat anything if I had wanted to - as much as I used to but this morning my Vitamin got stuck?