Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African Grey Congo Parrot names/advice?

Newest addition to the family comes in June, will be an African Grey Congo Parrot. This will be my daughter's bird but as she's 19 and lives at home still was wondering if anyone had advice on names or advice in general if you're familiar with these birds. It is being hand fed and weaned prior to picking him/her up. She and my husband already went out and bought the new abode and it's much nicer than the one I live in! Anyway feel free to comment especially if you don't feel like discussing lap bands today. I will accept names from those who do not have birds:biggrin:.

My idea was to have an African name because it is an African bird even though it's never been to Africa, maybe that's dumb. My daughter doesn't know I'm doing this and would kill me if she knew!:) Thanks brandyII.

We already have two cockatiels and this baby is being raised around dogs which is a good thing since I also have two dogs.

Hey Brandi:

What a trip, I will be getting a Congo African Grey in June or July also. I already have a Blue & Gold McCaw named Tootie, she is five years old and I hand fed her, first time, didn't know what I was doing, but the breeder coached me along, and everything turned out just fine. She is spoiled rotten, and I just love it, a little work, but what pet is not a little work, kinda goes with the territory. I have a little dog also, they are jealous of each other. I do know I had to get the polyamous virus shot for Tootie when I got her because I had a parrakeet and a cockateil and they tend to carry that virus. But I found homes for them and I have not had any problems. I know Tootie is a girl, and I will test my Congo African Grey also. I plan to name it Scooter if it is a boy, but if it is a girl, which I hope not, because too many females in one house will be pretty rough, just think about it. Although I will name it Tinker or Nellie, something along that line. I know it will give Tootie company and she will learn from it because they are really good talkers and can mimick exactly like its owners. You all will really enjoy this, but I will say it takes time, patience and alot of effort and dedication. They live a very long time. Good luck and enjoy.

Later Kaye

Countingthedays,

Wow thanks for the info, I'll show this to my daughter. Thanks things I didn't think about. brandyII

kclang,

Wow, between you and countingthedays I'm learning a lot about these birds. Now I'm thinking I should bring my other birds to the vet before I bring this one home and I've never taken birds to a avian vet before. I've had my cockatiels for 11 years. I knew I needed to take the African Grey but I've never brought my parakeets or cockatiels before. Do you think that's a good idea? Am I a bad mother? brandyII.

Okay birdie friends,

My daughter says she's familiar with the info on the viruses and says they shouldn't come in contact with each other for a month. I reminded her of the hand washing etc..., I'll remind you she's almost 20 but still. Anyway I think once I make initial contact with the avian vet I'll discuss those aspects with her and hopefully things will work out smoothly. I don't want the new bird getting sick, $$$$ but I also don't want our old friends getting sick from the new bird since we've had them for so long you know? thanks brandyII

i have an AG, his name is Austonio. He is the light of my life, quite the talker and uses his vocabulary correctly. he can be quite hard headed when he wants his way, but i would not trade him for the world. he loves anything Italian...food, music, wine, the Sopranos, Goodfellas, the list goes on and on. He HATES earthquakes, that is the only thing that I can honestly say he totally flips out about. otherwise he is pretty easy going with the occcasional feather chewing. right now he is answering all my yes or no questions about his weather expectations. He says "good morning" before I uncover him in the morning, he says "wanna go night night" when it is bed time, and will give kiss goodnight. he asks for snackers, granny toast, apple, and when given to him he says, "mmmmmmm." when I leave for work he says, "I love you, bye." He is an absolute deeelight. You are fortunate to have your new addition. g2s

CTD, you mentioned dander can be an irritant for Grays. I have a mini macaw as well and am curious about the dander comment. any more info?? thanks g2s

i have an AG, his name is Austonio. He is the light of my life, quite the talker and uses his vocabulary correctly. he can be quite hard headed when he wants his way, but i would not trade him for the world. he loves anything Italian...food, music, wine, the Sopranos, Goodfellas, the list goes on and on. He HATES earthquakes, that is the only thing that I can honestly say he totally flips out about. otherwise he is pretty easy going with the occcasional feather chewing. right now he is answering all my yes or no questions about his weather expectations. He says "good morning" before I uncover him in the morning, he says "wanna go night night" when it is bed time, and will give kiss goodnight. he asks for snackers, granny toast, apple, and when given to him he says, "mmmmmmm." when I leave for work he says, "I love you, bye." He is an absolute deeelight. You are fortunate to have your new addition. g2s

That's so frickn' cute!!!!! I'm assuming you live in CA. Has he been through many earthquakes? Poor guy. We've gotten them before here too in NY but they're nothing like what you all get out in CA! How old is Austonio. And everyone here wants to know what "granny toast" is. Who needs a husband if you have Austonio. Before we told my daughter she could get the bird I asked her which she'd prefer an African Grey or a hot new boyfriend and she picked the bird. I thought it was an important decision she should make.:blush:

Thanks brandyII

I live in Reno and we have had our share of earthquakes in the recent past. The 4.7 2 weeks ago scared him so bad I had to sleep downstairs with him. My mom, who is 80 years old, lives with me and is granny to him. well she makes toast with jam and butter and i only make it with butter. so he asks for granny toast because it is his favorite. He says " i love granny toast" when he wants toasty really bad. Like right now! He is 9 years old, I got him when he was 5 months old. He really does use words correctly, and he can asks for certain things he wants like toast, apple, snackers, bedtime. I had a Migraine one day and was lying on my sofa when he leaned over and said, "oh are you okay?" When the phone rings he says, hello. when the dog is scratching on the door, he tells him, "no, stop it!" He laughs at his own crazy antics, he sings italian opera, and whistles Finnecule, Finnecula. Oh he is a card. your house will never be the same after you get a gray. g2s

girlie2shooz,

Wow, forgot about Reno, sorry. That was sweet that you slept with him after the quake, that must have really freaked him out! That is so cute about the grannie toast! My house is filled to the brim with music and singing already I can't imagine what life will be like with a bird like that but it will be interesting. I've also heard they imitate sounds really well too. Do you think my bird could train my dogs? Thanks brandyII.

well just make sure you keep your gray in the "center" of the house. they like to be right in the middle of things. Austonio is in the family room which is right next to the kitchen so he can keep an "eye on things." he rings the phone (all of them), barks like a dog, meows like a cat, slurps thru a straw, gurgles like the drain, sirens like a cop car, clucks like a chicken, crows like a rooster, paper shredder sound, ice maker producing ice cubes, the list goes on and on. he burps, he yawns, he passes gas, thanks to my brother. he did that really well when the cable guy came to hook up my cable, that was the only sound he made and made a lot of it!! g2s

g2s,

That's great I'm really excited, now that both girls are college age and + it's nice to have a new baby around too, especially one that will actually talk to you. I think the dining room is good because we took the table out and it fits all three cages and opens into the living room, don't really have a family room and into the kitchen so it's a pretty open area but still it's closed enough where it's not drafty. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it brandyII.

Plus it's on wheels so we can move it almost anywhere.

My neighbor has 4 birds, her AG are Teeso (although I think she said it is spelled Tiso), and Molly.

Molly was her DH's gray mares name.....

I seldom hear them, but the other big green parrot--no idea what kind, although I have been told---screeches loudly, we hear it in the back yard!!! She says it is because he throws a fit when the TV plays certain commercials!

Kat

g2s: Your AG sounds amazing! What a wonderful pet! You must have a terrific relationship with him. He sounds absolutely adorable! How entertaining!!! LOL

~C