Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African Grey Congo Parrot names/advice?

Kat,

I have a feeling my house will be much louder when we get our birdie home. Maybe I can teach it to yell at me when I eat Cookies or something, no then it may yell all day long! brandyII.

My new avatar is "Talous" the baby that will come sometime in June. She decided to name he/she after one of her favorite artists, go figure!:)

brandyII

I think that Talous is pretty cool. Will she find out if it is a male or female? I really hope so, the reason being is it will pretty much torment her for not knowing and people will surely ask if it is a boy or girl!!!!!!!!! I think it is just twenty dollars for the test and usually the breeder is the one that just takes a little blood from the bird and sends it off to a lab, if the breeder doesn't do it, the vet absolutely will with no problem, just costs more that's all, but you have the knowledge of male or female and answers to the all the time question, instead of answering I don't know, you will be able to say girl or boy whatever the sex is with the definite answer. But again good luck and enjoy, it really is a treat. Later KC

We're picking up "Momiji" on Friday, she's a girl!!! This is going to be one big change in our family!!brandyII.

Hey Brandi:

Congratulations on your new journey of parenthood. I brought Scooter B home about three weeks ago. I am hand feeding him, yeah, he is a boy. (Congo African Grey). You are really fortunate to end up with a female, the odds are like nine out of ten times a boy is what my breeder told me, but I know for sure because I sent in the blood test to find out. I think it would have driven me a little nuts to not have known for sure. Scooter B is very alert, and loveable. I started trying to introduce him to raw mixed vegetables, although he still is on three feedings a day of the hand feeding formula. He was born on April 12, 2008. That is one week after my Blue & Gold McCaw's birthday, April 5, 2003. (Tootie) She is really good and accepting this new addition to our family, but she has alway been good to me, and spoiled as ever. I didn't let nothing change for her though. I just keep introducing Scooter to her and everything is just fine. How old is Momiji??? When was she born??? Do you hand feed or is she eating on her own? I hear that the Greys are really very intelligent. I figuring Scooter will show Tootie a thing or two. I know I am really enjoying it already. It might be a little extra work, but in the end it was all worth it. Love, caring, fun, and companionship all into one. I wish and hope you have the joy & experience of a lifetime, because after all that is what it will be, for the rest of your life. That part really bothers me, like if something happens to me, I am trying to make sure I have suitable replacement caregivers, but that takes a long time too. If you need anything or advice that I can be of any help, just let me know, and if I don't have the answer, I will find out or direct you to someone who knows the answer. Take care and enjoy your new baby, it is truly a great experience and happiness brought to the home. KC

Hey Brandi:

Congratulations on your new journey of parenthood. I brought Scooter B home about three weeks ago. I am hand feeding him, yeah, he is a boy. (Congo African Grey). You are really fortunate to end up with a female, the odds are like nine out of ten times a boy is what my breeder told me, but I know for sure because I sent in the blood test to find out. I think it would have driven me a little nuts to not have known for sure. Scooter B is very alert, and loveable. I started trying to introduce him to raw mixed vegetables, although he still is on three feedings a day of the hand feeding formula. He was born on April 12, 2008. That is one week after my Blue & Gold McCaw's birthday, April 5, 2003. (Tootie) She is really good and accepting this new addition to our family, but she has alway been good to me, and spoiled as ever. I didn't let nothing change for her though. I just keep introducing Scooter to her and everything is just fine. How old is Momiji??? When was she born??? Do you hand feed or is she eating on her own? I hear that the Greys are really very intelligent. I figuring Scooter will show Tootie a thing or two. I know I am really enjoying it already. It might be a little extra work, but in the end it was all worth it. Love, caring, fun, and companionship all into one. I wish and hope you have the joy & experience of a lifetime, because after all that is what it will be, for the rest of your life. That part really bothers me, like if something happens to me, I am trying to make sure I have suitable replacement caregivers, but that takes a long time too. If you need anything or advice that I can be of any help, just let me know, and if I don't have the answer, I will find out or direct you to someone who knows the answer. Take care and enjoy your new baby, it is truly a great experience and happiness brought to the home. KC

I just asked my daughter, as this is her baby but of course she lives with me still so what can I say. Anyway she thinks her birthday was 3/28. They said she's been eating like a little piggy and that she wants to feed on her own and we could have gotten her sooner but my daughter had the RNY two weeks ago and I wanted to make sure she was healthy enough to take the trip to go down and also to take care of the Momiji when she gets her! She wants her to bond with her and not me and I'm fine with that because all the other animals have bonded with me and it's one less animal to feed but of course I'm excited to have her and it should be a real treat! I've heard they can regress and may want to be hand fed again so that's something we'll be prepared for and don't think it will be a problem.

I love the name Scooter B, it's really cute. Tootie is cute too! I'm hoping since Momiji is going to be so smart she'll help me with the dogs! She was raised around a lot of dogs so although I'm still going to be very careful it's definitely a plus! Since my daughter had the gastric bypass I guess they will both be introduced to new foods at the same time. It's definitely a whole new world for us as we've never had a parrot of this size before or this smart! My daughter has already lectured me that if she comes home and finds Momiji saying something stupid that she assumes I taught her, well I forget what she said she'd do but I'm on strict orders not to teach it anything, like that's going to happen:lol::biggrin::lol:!

Thanks KC, although it is my daughter's bird, I have to keep saying that, as I've heard this so many times from her, I'm really excited and since she's 19 and I'm 48 I'm assuming she'll outlive me and should be able to take care of her. We've had our cockatiels for over 10 years I think, maybe longer. I always had a parakeet ever since I was a little girl, so I've always loved birds but this is a whole new ballgame! We're suppose to quarantine them from each other for a while so they won't meet yet I suppose. I also have to get an avian vet which I should have gotten by now! So that's a good reminder for me to get on the phone and searching.

Anyway thanks I'm sure I'll be chatting with you as we go through Scooter B and Momiji's trials and tribulations together, take care Nancy.

Hey Brandi:

Just wanted to let you know that when I got Tootie five years ago I had a parakeet and a cockatiel and I had to get Tootie vacinated for the polyama virus, because the little ones carry this virus automatically, not sure why, but it is a yearly vacine if you intend to keep the smaller birds or not then don't worry about it. I let my cousin take mine. You can talk to an avian vet to verify this, but this is a true story to my knowledge of first getting into raising bigger birds. You will be able to keep them all, but the yearly vacine will be a must for Momiji, Good Luck, and we will keep in touch. KC

KC,

Thanks we read something about that and also the breeder wants us to take her to the avian vet within 72 hours anyway so we've got an appointment for this coming Monday and they're driving almost 4 hours to get her on Friday!

I've got the cockatiels set up in another room. Do they need to be vaccinated too? I've never brought my birds to a vet before never really knew to but now that I'm getting this bird we knew we had to. I'm afraid if I brought the cockatiels in at this point in their life they might have have a heart attack or something you know!

Thanks Nancy.:smile2:

Hey Girl:

Everything is good, just if you keep them, vacinate Momiji once a year. Thats all to it. If the proper care of a bird is given they really never have to see the vet. I know Tootie had the one vacine and blood test to determine her sex. My little Chiwuas Prissy & Peppa (Miss) (inside) see the vet once a year, and also my wolf Smokey male and Sheba the german shepard female (outside kennel), but other than the flea and heartworm meds, the dogs are more expensive than the birds in my opinion, but I enjoy it all. I guess some people think I have the starting of a funny farm, but I enjoy every minute of it. Hope you have the same great pleasure. Good Luck, KC

Thanks KC, yes my dogs go to the vet almost as much as my kids went to their pediatrician when they were little. Very spensive! Hopefully Momiji will stay healthy and her "mom" will get a summer job too! I'll let you know when we get her and I'll try to post a pic when my husband can show me how, thanks Nancy.

I know I'm late on this thread, but I just found it. Congrats on the Grey, they make wonderful pets, I have one. Mine also is a Congo African Grey. We don't know if he's a boy or girl, but we call him a boy. His name is Tatu. We found it online under african names although the name is actually for a girl, but it's the only one we could pronounce!! LOL We've had him for about 8 - 9 years now. He talks up a storm and is quite comical. He's friendly, loves attention. And yes, he's spoiled, but we tend to spoil all our pets. 3 birds (aftrican grey, dusky conure, & blue indian ring neck parakeet) and 3 dogs! Yes my house is noisy!

babs0101,

That's crazier than my house!! We brought home the bird today. On the way home my I called my daughter and she changed her name from Momiji, which I had just learned to "Cherry", which I thought was a cute name since she has that red tail but then found out she named her after the character from the movie "Planet Terror" the girl go go dancer with the machine gun leg!!!!:smile::ohmy:

I've refused to watch that film but my DDs and my DH are into those types of flicks but I'll just try not think about it but Cherry is a cute name anyway.

My youngest dog, Kiba, the two year old was a bit excited to say the least, he's a mix between a rotty and something, "rescue dog" should say no more. Anyway the bird is very cute but it's our first "major" bird and so it's going to take time to get used to all of us but was raised around German shepherds so I found that to be a good thing. She loves celery so far and is doing well so far. I may need this thread in the future for issues that will most definitely pop up again!!, thanks brandyII.

Tatu is a cute name for a bird, have you ever thought of sending in a feather for a DNA test? Mine did cost $40 but my daughter would not have been happy not knowing the sex.

Edited by brandyII