Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Exercise Challenge

Happy May Everyone!

Time for a new exercise challenge thread. This thread is open to anyone -- you don't have to be an August 07 bandster to join us.

I have two personal goals for May. Number one is to finally join the rest of you "speedy banditos" in the 100 pound club. I am only 5 pounds away, which means that if I don't make it, something is definitely wrong. That said, the pounds are coming off much more slowly nowadays, so I will need to work hard and stay very focused.

This brings me to goal number 2, which is to start running this month. I bought myself a comfortable pair of running shoes while I was in Miami, and will begin the Couch to 5K running schedule in the next few days.

I don't see myself ever running a marathon (I have too many other interests to distract me from doing that much training), but perhaps at some point I will do a shorter race. Also there is always the 8 Tuff Miles on St. John, which I plan to participate in next year.

Good luck with your goals, and have a happy and healthy month!!!!

I'm an August 05 bandster, does that count?

Seriously, I was doing OK on exercise and now all of a sudden... not. And I can tell, because I didn't lose but 1 lb last week. :tongue:

I'm only 4 lbs away from both Onderland and my -100 lb mark. 203->199.

I was going to wait to start the Couch to 5k once I got to 199. Maybe I should just suck it up and start now? If I can continue to lose at 2lbs per week like I have been, I can hit 150 by mid-Oct. I'm just realizing that the best time for me to take 3 weeks off work would be December over the holidays. (for a TT/lipo) But if I want to do that THIS year, I better get my butt in gear!!

So are you starting today or on the weekend? I'm thinking of starting tomorrow since I can't do jog/walk today (just walking).

I'm nervous about starting running at this weight. :cool2:

Seriously, I was doing OK on exercise and now all of a sudden... not. And I can tell, because I didn't lose but 1 lb last week. :cool:

I was going to wait to start the Couch to 5k once I got to 199. Maybe I should just suck it up and start now? If I can continue to lose at 2lbs per week like I have been, I can hit 150 by mid-Oct. I'm just realizing that the best time for me to take 3 weeks off work would be December over the holidays. (for a TT/lipo) But if I want to do that THIS year, I better get my butt in gear!!

So are you starting today or on the weekend? I'm thinking of starting tomorrow since I can't do jog/walk today (just walking).

I'm nervous about starting running at this weight. :cool2:

Hi Molly Molly,

Welcome! Glad you're joining us :tongue::smile::lol:! It's great that you're an August bandster too!!!

I was thinking of starting my running program tomorrow, but if you want to start together, just let me know what day is best for you and we'll do it. On the weekends I usually go hiking, but the first week of the Couch to 5K program looks pretty easy, so I can do both in a day, if need be.

I got one hour of cardio in today. Have a great night everyone!!!

I am going to start monthly weight loss goals. I hope it helps! I know it can't hurt.

I did a 4 mile walk today. I have a sore right knee that I am hoping will go away.

Seriously, I was doing OK on exercise and now all of a sudden... not. And I can tell, because I didn't lose but 1 lb last week. :thumbup:

I'm nervous about starting running at this weight. :wub:

I started running before I was in onederland, but you have to take it VERY slowly. I started at a quarter mile and worked up a quarter mile every week. I did not run everyday (3 times a week MAX). Even training for my half marathon now, I am only going to run 3 days a week: two short days (3-4 miles) and 1 long day (5 - 12, increasing as the weeks go by).

The TT should be a great incentive. I am running a half marathon 4 days before my extended TT. You really can get an amazing HIGH after running, especially when you make it a distance that you have never done before or when you get a personal best time. I am NOT a fast runner...slow and steady. I am pretty certain turtles could pass me, but I am getting faster.

Good luck and there really is no time like the present!

I of course am in but as you can see I am keeping with the milage goal. However I am having to rearrange my training schedule because of the foot injury. I just have tendonitis so it is nothing horrible. I am getting new shoes AGAIN tonight. This time though I am going to a running store and getting them properly fitted. Yep...that's going to cost a fortune...but that is truly important when it comes to the amount of running that I do. So my miles are going to be a combo of running miles and eliptical and 1/2 bike miles. I only count half the bike miles because that is about equivalent to how fast I could run in the amount of time that I do it....and the eliptical doesn't come close. I only did like 1.5 this morning on the eliptical in a half hour...I can run almost 3 in that same time frame. So I figure it will all equal out if I do my little math equation.

Doctor said I can run on Sunday and then if the foot is feeling better to start cross training more and pure running less. See earlier post about running schedule if you are interested.

Good luck to everyone this month!

I'm going to start today and then repeat the entire week 1 again next week.

I tend to get plantar fasciitis when I walk or jog on a consistent basis, so I am going to take preventative steps this time and stretch/do my foot exercises from the get-go.

Good luck everyone!! I'm actually quite excited about starting to run again.

Happy May everyone. I'm stepping up the exercise for this month to re-start the weight loss. Mine has slowed waaaayyyyy down, but my clothes fit looser. Go figure..LOL

Good luck to all the CraztAtes. You all are an inspiration for me to keep working at my exercise and weight loss. THANKS.......Dave

I finished a 3.5 mile walk today. With ease I might add!! My right knee is sore so tomorrow is weight training. Have a great evening!!

Got in a 40 minute ride last night on the Trikke and a 4 mile walk this morning. 68 degrees and nice walking weather.

I of course am in but as you can see I am keeping with the milage goal. However I am having to rearrange my training schedule because of the foot injury. I just have tendonitis so it is nothing horrible. I am getting new shoes AGAIN tonight. This time though I am going to a running store and getting them properly fitted. Yep...that's going to cost a fortune...but that is truly important when it comes to the amount of running that I do. So my miles are going to be a combo of running miles and eliptical and 1/2 bike miles. I only count half the bike miles because that is about equivalent to how fast I could run in the amount of time that I do it....and the eliptical doesn't come close. I only did like 1.5 this morning on the eliptical in a half hour...I can run almost 3 in that same time frame. So I figure it will all equal out if I do my little math equation.

Doctor said I can run on Sunday and then if the foot is feeling better to start cross training more and pure running less. See earlier post about running schedule if you are interested.

Good luck to everyone this month!

Good luck with your training Salsa, and I hope your tendinitis clears up soon!

I'm going to start today and then repeat the entire week 1 again next week.

Good luck everyone!! I'm actually quite excited about starting to run again.

Hi Molly,

Have you started yet? I have not -- I will probably start tomorrow because I am going out for a long hike today. Good luck!!!!

Happy May everyone. I'm stepping up the exercise for this month to re-start the weight loss. Mine has slowed waaaayyyyy down, but my clothes fit looser. Go figure..LOL

Good luck to all the CraztAtes. You all are an inspiration for me to keep working at my exercise and weight loss. THANKS.......Dave

Dave you inspire us too!!! And look at that ticker!!!! 134 pounds????? That is ASTOUNDING!!!!!

I got a one hour hike in yesterday. Today I'm taking the ferry over to Water Island for long hike. Have a great Sunday everyone!!!

Yep, I did the first workout Friday. Felt great!! I plan to do my 2nd one today. :)

Hi everyone!

I did a 6 mile walk today to try and keep the damage from yesterday down to a minimum. I had a number on the scale yesterday morning I haven't seen in 20 years...then the phone rang. My girlfriends came over and they brought plenty of wine. Boy did I get fried!! I ate chips and dip like they were going out of style. I must have had 3 glasses of wine which may not sound like much but pickled me quick! I got on the scale this morning knowing it wouldn't be good. It wasn't...I gained 2.4 lbs...that puts me at 185.4. Not the way to make my weight loss challenge...so now I am on double duty with the exercise to lose that and get back into a serious weight loss mode. Warned the girlfriends that we can't do that again for a long time!!

I see everyone is off to a good start. I'm late checking in, but you know I'm in for the May challene. I'm sticking with my regular routine - 20 days of cardio and 8 weight training sessions. I'm also just being an all around active gal. I've been spending alot of time working in the garden and doing some serious spring cleaning. I plan to get everything in shape around here (including myself) before my PS next month. I'm really focusing on getting stronger now. I think it will help with the recovery.

Salsa, I'm glad your foot problem isn't too serious and you can keep up your training schedule. Good luck finding a pair of running shoes. I know it will be worth the investment.

Go Molly & Frangi!! You girls are going to see the pounds melting off with your new running program, not to mention how great you're going to feel.

Dave, I'm sure your weight loss has slowed down because of all the muscle you are putting on. Stepping up the exercise is a great way to bust a plateau. Good luck.

Jody, I'm sure you didn't really gain 2.4 pounds. The salty chips and the wine make you hold extra Fluid. You'll be back to your pre "party" weight in a couple of days. Sometimes you just have to let loose. I had wine Friday and Saturday night!

I did my hour of cardio yesterday and today.

Crazy Ates May Exercise Challenge

2/20 Cardio Sessions 0/8 Weight Training

So I did finally make it home and with fantastic news!!!! I didn't break the 30:00 minute mark but I did run a personal best of 31:42. :blush::thumbup::thumbup:I cut 2:48 off my last run. I felt fantastic. I ran an average of a 10:14 mile. That is ALMOST 6 miles/hour. The foot is good. I went to the EUgene Running Store and had a video analysis done of my run and we found the shoes that would work the best. They were 100$ but worth every penny. My foot didn't hurt at ALL during the run. I was #260 out of 522 overall, 132 out of 322 in females and 31 out of 53 in my age group. Not bad, not bad. I was very proud of myself considering I had to come up with alternate training this week.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures:thumbdown: They changed the course and didn't tell people until this morning and I couldn't get word to DH so he was standing in the wrong location and by the time he figured it out he wasn't able to get to the finish line in time. He was REALLY dissappointed, but there will be other runs. Fortunately the half-marathon in June starts and ends in the same location so he won't have to worry about getting from one place to another.

I have another 5K race June 1st in the town up the road that I am going to do, and training starts again on Tuesday.