Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most Remarkable Changes?

As I continue to struggle with frustrating weigh-ins, I've had to keep myself motivated by considering all of the many changes that I've noticed since banding. I was curious to notice what you've found to be the most surprising or remarkable changes.

Among my biggest surprises:

1) skipping meals, not because I've forgotten, but because I'm simply not hungry.

2) feeling out of sorts when I don't exercise.

3) clothes still don't fit. It hasn't been any easier to find clothes--they're simply different sizes, but I'm still so particular about how everything fits!

4) kids meals are still too much food. I order from a kids' menu when I'm out, but I rarely eat it all.

5) this hasn't been easy. All of the people I met who were banded talked about how fast they lost weight. I haven't. I feel the changes, and my measurements go down, but boy, I'm often frustrated by the scale.< /p>

So...to you all...what are your biggest surprises since being banded? Happy May to all.:cool2:

I'm noticing ELBOWS . . . that fit to my body instead of laying across it . . . it's the funniest sensation . . .and I'm totally amused by it. I also have to figure out how to adjust my car seat . . it just feels wierd right now .. . I love these things :wub:

It is totaly weird for me that I dont feel right when I DONT excercise.

And the amount of food I bring home when I go out to eat.

Also the fact that I can make the deserts and bread for family and work and not feel like I have to "save" some for myself to eat.

I just bring the whole thing and If I get some I get some..It is not a big deal to me any more.

Hello Luv2teech7,

I assume you are a teacher. I am too. I got banded on 12/27/2007. I've lost about 55 since my highest weight which was close to my surgery date. I have started noticing my weightloss, but it is still hard for me to take a compliment. I'm having a problem getting motivated to work out. I have two small children who hate going to the child care area at the gym. I have a treadmill at home; however, I can't seem to get a moment alone from my girls. I know...excuses, excuses, excuses.

I really thought the scale would move faster. It seems like I lose 2 pounds the gain 1 1/2 back and then loose 1 and gain 2. It is very inconsistant. I have problems eating. I prefer drinking my dinner, but I'm worried I put to many calories into it.

I also noticed you had your surgery done in Boston. I'm in Dallas, but I used to live in Boston. I still have family there. I worked for the National Park Service and gave tours on the Freedom Trail.

Let me know if you have any words wisdom.

Edited by prissypotz

Hello Luv2teech7,

I assume you are a teacher. I am too. I got banded on 12/27/2007. I've lost about 55 since my highest weight which was close to my surgery date. I have started noticing my weightloss, but it is still hard for me to take a compliment. I'm having a problem getting motivated to work out. I have two small children who hate going to the child care area at the gym. I have a treadmill at home; however, I can't seem to get a moment alone from my girls. I know...excuses, excuses, excuses.

I really thought the scale would move faster. It seems like I lose 2 pounds the gain 1 1/2 back and then loose 1 and gain 2. It is very inconsistant. I have problems eating. I prefer drinking my dinner, but I'm worried I put to many calories into it.

I also noticed you had your surgery done in Boston. I'm in Dallas, but I used to live in Boston. I still have family there. I worked for the National Park Service and gave tours on the Freedom Trail.

Let me know if you have any words wisdom.

Hi, Beth! Actually, the one saving grace for me (and probably the reason I was able to have surgery this year...) is that I'm not teaching any more. I've been a teacher for 14 years and finally left the classroom this year. I work in a position that allows me to make my own schedule--a quality control position, if you will--where I still do some work with kids but mostly with struggling teachers. I often model and co-teach, but mostly observe and conference, making suggestions for implementing change. I felt guilty going on about how other people could make changes in their lives and had so little control over this part of my life...so it was time for me.

As far as going to the gym, it was something that I needed. I make time for myself to do this--as I do a bi-weekly manicure!--because I deserve that time to myself. It takes less than an hour. In fact, if you have a treadmill at home, you can do it in far less time! Get up a half hour before the kids do....get on when you've put them to bed....do it while they're napping, etc. You make time to fold laundry, make time for this, too. Initially it's tiring and will add to your stress, but anyone on here will tell you it adds to your energy. You won't want to do more than 20 minutes when you start, anyway, so you don't ave to make that much time. You owe it to yourself to do this. You've committed to having surgery, now it's time to stick to the diet as much as possible and complete the circle. Think of how much more weight you can lose if you give yourself every possible advantage!!! Good luck. You've lost a ton of weight! Keep up the great work!!! :blush:

I'm surprised at how quickly my fitness has increased. I am pretty erratic in my exercising, sometimes going every day, sometiimes not doing anything for a whole week, but even so, this is the most exercise I've done in 20 years!

Every week, I have to carry at least 20kg (>40lb) of luggage from the airport bus to my room in camp at work (I work on a remote mine site) and it is only about 300 metres but in the past, that has always been a HUGE struggle, requiring me to stop for a breather at least twice and then lie on my bed afterwards, gasping for air and bathed in sweat, for 10-15mins. Last week, I found myself at my room, without having stopped once and barely breathing heavily and not sweating at all! That was awesome!!

Fanny, I'm with you! I was watching my sister-in-law run a roadrace (5k) today with my 2 nephews and my niece. She wanted us to see her pass by at one point in the race, then go back to the finish line. Unfortunately, my 3 1/2 year old niece wasn't going to be making it without help! So I had to pick her up and JOG from one place to the other. I know that without working out, I never would have been able to do it. (My niece must weigh a good 40 pounds...) But, it also made me thankful I've lost weight. I realized how much harder it was to move with that extra 40 pounds. Oh, the little successes. :-)

Beth, Be patient. keep eatting like you should and Try to get a work out in. Heck take them with you to the park and play frisby, Fly a kite, go for a bike ride, Play Tag. All of that is excercise. but fun for kids. I work out at the gym because it is easier for me. When my friends want to hang out I try to get them to meet me for a game of frisby or catch. something that is not sitting in fromt of a TV or food.

Excercise is easy if you think outside of the gym.

Way to go Fanny! I think that is awsome!

Beth,

I want to add to the "don't get discouraged" sentiment. I know it's tough. When you see one number on Monday and by Wednesday you are up a pound or more. Remember that unless you are eating around your band, that one pound or two is just Water weight. If you are consistant in your Water intake that should get better. Try to get in at least 48 oz. 64 is better but 48 will keep your body hydrated enough to not fluctuate so much. Remember that it takes 3500 calories extra to turn into a pound of fat. So if in one day you gain a pound you would have had to have eaten 5000 calories the day before.

If the scale is still discouraging try only weighing once a week, in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom. See if that doesn't show a more accurate trend.

My final suggestion is that if you still aren't seeing weight loss like you want, track your calories very carefully for a week or two. There is a site that I like called daily plate. It asked for a few bits of info and what my goals were and calculated how many calories I should be consuming....then I track my exercise and my food there and try to hit target. I still use them only as an estimate but I get a really good idea of where I am spending my calories. I also can look at how much of my diet is carbs, Protein, fat, and all of that. I can then look at my weight trends and have found that on days when I drank x I had more water weight....oh, look at all the sodium....etc. It works for me.

Don't give up. It's going to take time and there are a ton of people on here that are losing slowly. Ask them for advice on how to stay motivated. There is a whole thread for them. And keep posting here. The more active I am on this site the better I follow my bandster rules.

Keep us informed. Oh...and I'm a teacher too. I teach 7-12 math in Montana. FYI

Beth,

I forgot I was going to say something about exercise. I have 3 children 15mo, 3yo, and 13yo. They were my main reason for going through all of this. I wanted to spend time playing with them. I wanted to crawl up on the jungle gym with them. I wanted to play catch. I don't know how old your kids are, but are they old enough to play with one of those loop things (they were called lemon drops when I was a kid) that you kick around in circles and jump? Or jumprope? hoola hoops? Trampoline? Any of that would be awesome exercise. If they are younger than that, how about a ride in a stroller? I push my little one twice a week. She gets tired of it about half way and we stop and she plays for about 5 minutes and then she will sit for another 20 mins while I get home.

My family was the reason I always gave for not having time to exercise, but I go for a walk almost every evening. I do a shorter walk by putting in a big hill at the beginning. With it I feel like if I only do a half hour it's been a very good half hour. Usually I do it after dinner while DH gets the kids ready for bed. I come home, read stories and tuck them in. Sometimes I don't get out to walk until after we put them down. Again, this works for me, your situation may be very different.

I also try to go out and walk around a couple of blocks during my lunch break. I'm not spending so much time eating now so in my 20 min. break I eat for about 10 and then go walk for about 10. You can get a half mile in 10 minutes pretty easy.

There are a few suggestions. Try something for a week and see if it works for you. If not try something else. You'll find something that works for your life.

Again...keep us updated.

My wrist are getting smaller I can even see that little round bone kinda sticking out.........wow I have bones that I can see...

I have really noticed that I now have collar bones that stick out. Ha,ha! I love knowing that I only have one more size to go before I can get out of the plus section. I love knowing that I can make the garlic bread and Pasta at dinner time and know that I can not eat any of it even if I wanted to. Such great things!!!!

I haven't been back to the forum for awhile. It's nice to hear that all of you are doing so well. I have noticed a few things. My shadow is about the same size as my husbands (was 50% bigger last summer). I had to get my wedding rings resized because they were spinning on thinner fingers. I too notice my collar bones stick out. I had never even seen my collar bones before. I also have some decent cheek bones. The big lumps on me sides are actually my hip bones. I didn't realize how high they were. My pants always rested on the roll around what I thought was my waist.

Isn't it great how the small things can make such a difference?

I am not a teacher like a lot of you. I am a school bus driver .Since my surgery , a few of the teachers in our district are now thinking about it.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS AND LIFE GAIN!!!