Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone using Lehigh Valley Bariatric in Allentown pa

I finished all my appointments!! I have been doing them since December 07. Jane is supposed to be sending all my info for approval this week. I am not hopeful for an approval the first time around, but lets keeps our fingers crossed.

Hi Tamara - just wondering what decision you've made regarding your surgery? I think I'm going with the lapband - but still have alot of mixed feelings about it - I'm concerned with not losing very quickly and going back to bad habits - let's face it, I didn't get to this point with alot of willpower and perserverence!! I've been reading alot about the gastric sleeve - but it's not yet covered by insurance.

Love to hear from you!

Hi!

I am having surgery with Dr. Bono on Sept 17th (Lapband). He is in Hazleton, and was a good fit for me! If you have any questions just ask. Thanks Tamara

Hi Tamara,

Congrats on your surgery date.

I see Dr Bono this Thursday - Sept 4th. I haven't even seen him yet - He was unable to attend the seminar in July but I was impressed with Jane.

Sooooo excited. - My knees are acting up again because I was energized by the possibilities of future weight loss and over-did it.

I hope my surgery can be scheduled ASAP - Autumn is my best time for positive attitude and "can-do-it" spirit.

Get back to us with your surgery experiences soon!

~ ~ ~ ~ Elayne

Just my own 2 cents -

Both my endocrinologist and nutritionist suggested to consider a surgeon who has experience in both LapBand AND Bypass when researching your options.

There is a better chance that he will not be biased and will therefore counsel you on the best choice for your own situation.

Hi Elayne!

I will be seeing Dr. Bono on September 4th as well. This will be my final appt before my surgery. What time is your appt. Maybe I will see you there. Good Luck Tamara

Hi Tamara - wow - 9/17 will be here before you know it! I'm a bit disappointed in the schedule I've been given from Dr. Boorse - I will attend my last group meeting in early Sept - then my paperwork will be put together and sent to insurance - I just got a surgery date of early November! I was really hoping to start this journey sooner - I'm hoping there's a chance I'll get a call that I'll get in earlier - but I don't know how realistic that would be. I guess knowing the weight loss will be slow in the beginning - until I get a few fills - and now not getting the surgery until November! I was really hoping to see a big change by the Christmas. I'd love to hear how your surgery went -please keep us informed! Kay

I know, the date came sooner than I expected! I went to the grocery store yesterday and got most things I will need for the pre-op diet. I am starting that on Monday! I like most people have been eating like crazy thinking that I will not have real food for some time. I am hoping that I will make it through the liquid thing without becoming too violent :)! I wish you luck with getting a sooner date than November. I know how it feels to want to be done already. I will definitely keep eveyone up to date on how it goes. Good luck Tamara!

Hi Elayne!

I will be seeing Dr. Bono on September 4th as well. This will be my final appt before my surgery. What time is your appt. Maybe I will see you there. Good Luck Tamara

My appointment is at 10:30 on Thursday.

I'm an incurable knitter so I rarely mind waiting for my appointments.

Jane warned me that there is often a wait.

DH will be pacing and taking frequent cigarette and potty breaks -

skinny men are like that.

I hope we'll meet if your appt. lines up.

Hi Everyone,

I am going to attend the information session with Dr. Bono on March 9th. I wondered if any of you have had the surgery yet or the testing and how long you had to wait for the surgery. Also, how did the tests go, I hate tests, but realize you have to have them. Can any of you walk me through this? Thanks.

(I'm back in this forum after a disappointing halt to my LBS quest)

pinkXX88 -

Yes - I'm one of Dr. Bono's patients.

I haven't had the surgery yet but I was required to satisfy 12 different tests and procedures!!

Among the usual blood tests, Dr's approvals for surgery, psychiatric approval, endoscopy, support group attendance, heart and lung, etc. and on and on.

The halt for me was my insurance company's requirement for a 6 mo. Dr. supervised diet.

Altho I've done weight watchers, slim-fast, diet workshop and others -

I have no proof of a recent 6 mo or more diet.

I'm into my 4th month of nutritionist/dietitian diet.

(Mary Webb of Wilkes Barre/Clarks Summit)

Amy Cartwright is Dr. Bono's dietitian of choice but she is too far away (Cunningham) for me to go to frequently.

My diet started very well - 10 pounds or so.

But now I'm at a crisis -

Impending separation after a 25 year marriage with a dive back into emotional eating binges.

But - I'm determined to get back into the Quest and aim for a late spring surgery date.

Dr. Bono's coordinator is Jane Lashock -

But she's become so over run by patients, insurance tasks, hospital dates, support groups that Amy Cartwright has taken over many of the interface tasks.

The group is very efficient, experienced - but I found the initial appointment fast paced and routine.

There was only one preliminary appointment with Jane throwing all the requirements at me (along with a brief presentation of the surgery).

I got my list of tasks, saw Dr. Bono about 1/2 hour for a brief examination (clothes on and just a tummy probing) and I was dismissed to attend to my appointments.

The support group is mandatory (once before surgery minimum) and that is where the bulk of the info is obtained because it's more casual and loaded with feedback about the procedure from start to finish (maintenance).

I wasn't aware that Dr. Bono used Lehigh -

I thought Hazelton General was his hospital.

(I got good and negative reviews about Hazelton G.)

I plan to use this forum more regularly now so I'll monitor this thread

~ ~ ~ Elayne

HI and thanks for responding. I am sorry about your life changes, I know you will continue on with the weight loss. I am looking forward to the challenge, but not the tests...I hate tests, I always feel like the people doing them are so impersonal and cold and I always think they will find something wrong (paranoid, I guess). I will also continue to use this wonderful board for support and information. Please keep me posted.

I need to be 20lbs heavier to qualify with comorbidities. First off, is high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre diabetes, or a slipped disc in neck considered qualifying comorbs? Next off, are you weighed in a hospital gown or your street clothes. Need to pack a few extra pound with heavy clothes etc. Thanks!

ok, thanks for the reply. I have BC/BS First Priority Life Insurance. I actually am not even sure what is going to be covered. I have to get the appts. then call the company with a code and find out if I will be covered. It's possible that I may not even be covered! I am from Jim Thorpe but live in Tamaqua now, and Dr. Bono is closer for me.

Thanks!

Suzanne

Suzanne,

I have the same insurance. Please keep me posted about coverage. I've just started looking into this and feel like I'm not finding any answers, only more questions!

Andrea

Not sure if Reading is an option for any of you ladies, but i use the Reading Hospital Weight Management Center with Dr. Ceppa and Dr. Ku. I have not met Dr. Ku yet, but i do like Dr. Ceppa very much. I started my process in May of 10 & was banded in late October. I pushed it back a few weeks due to some camping plans we had to finish the season out but it could've been sooner having met all my requirements. The girls there were great about getting the info from the insurance company & making sure i met all my nutritionist appointments that were required., etc.

Just a thought/option i'd throw out there.