Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHC has my paperwork!

hi, i have my 1st app. may 2 i also have uhc. did any of ypu have a bmi of under 40? i havbmi of 36 but havesleep apena arthritis & take high blood pressure pills. so i pray o dont have any problem with them . any input on united eha;th care will be appreciated. THANK YOU

UGH!! I'm so frustrated. I just talked to UHC and the girl I talked to said that it's "still in review". So I pressed for dates. I already knew the Care Cord. dept received my paperwork on 4/4. I found out that it has been sitting in the que an got sent on to be reviewed on 4/14 but has not been assigned to any particular person yet and that everything is done on a case by case basis. She also told me that there is no specific time frame on these types of cases. When I said that I thought they had only 30 days to send an approval or denial according to several other reps and others as well, she said that wasn't true. Grrrrr I'm so frustrated with them. I know my packet shows a tentative surgery date of May 10th- they need to bust a move!!!!!

UHC came through for me. You are just going to have to be patient. You are lucky you didn't have to go jump throught hoops to get approved. I got put through the ringer with another Ins Co before I got approved with UHC.

Brandi, hang in there!!! you will get an answer soon.

As far as the 30 day response time I know in the state of Texas that is a law, I don't know which state you are in but if it is Tx you are right about the 30 days.

Let us know how things are going!!

Guest maremee1498

A quick question...I just called and was told it is not a covered benefit (from UHC). I am just starting to research options, but my question is "is it possible to change it to a covered benefit if it is done for more than cosmetic? I have had diabetes for 10 years and have not been able to lose any weight except for my pregnancy. I am 43 years old 5'3" and 235 lbs. My primary care doctor told me I would be a great candidate for the surgery. I am just not sure how to proceed now....thanks!

Barb

Barb,

The insurance compay itself is not who has the exception on your policy. It would be comming from you employer. When Employers 'purchase' insurance it is kinda like going through a cafeteria line. They say "I have this many dollars to spend per employee, If I get item 1,2,3 and 4 it will be this much $, but if I omit #2, it will only be this much $, so lets omit that and we can afford thi coverage"

My suggestion would be to go to the Human Resources department at your employer and speak to the insurance guru and tell them your condition and options for treatment and ask if they can provide a rider for you to be able to have this surg done and it be covered.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens!!

I was denied by United Health Care just a few days ago. My husband called and they said it was elective , risky, and no insurance would cover it. Meanwhile I have other bandi friends who had the same insurance and had it done. They also weighed less then me. I am 298lbs,not 5'3" hav high blood pressure. among other things. I cant understand. my husands employer said he would look into it. That he payed $60,000 a yr plus what his only 12 employees pay out of there checks.

I dont know what to do . I am so sad. We are taking a loan my surg date is 5/31.

I do not understand that unless there is a rider through your husband's insurance excluding this type of surgery. You are you a little heavier than I am. I did not have high blood pressure but insulin resistance and slightly enlarged heart and they approved me within 15 days..I did bug them. I would have your husband's work check their exclusions . . and then appeal. I am so sorry and I really do realize how frustrated and disappointed you are. KEEP BEING PUSHY!!

I was denied under UHC, claiming that it was purely cosmetic, but lemme tell you BoxerLuv, I weigh a little more than you, I am at 225, and all I wear is Old Navy, you just gotta find your fit. And guess what, I do not wear plus sizes either!! But I do hope everything goes well.

Thankyou my friend. You are so right . My husbands boss just took over this company and he didnt know there was an exclusion in the insurance. He is trying but it doesnt look good. I dont know what else to say to them. We have taken a 2nd mortgage and its going to be tough but worth it.

Thankyou again

I do not understand that unless there is a rider through your husband's insurance excluding this type of surgery. You are you a little heavier than I am. I did not have high blood pressure but insulin resistance and slightly enlarged heart and they approved me within 15 days..I did bug them. I would have your husband's work check their exclusions . . and then appeal. I am so sorry and I really do realize how frustrated and disappointed you are. KEEP BEING PUSHY!!

You sound like me, 5 foot 4 inches and around 210 pounds with sleep apnea which I am unable to control because I find it impossible to use a CPAP machine at night when I sleep. Like you, I need to lose the pounds and rid the apnea. How many pounds do you think we need to lose? I am 59 years old and I have a pacemaker so I hope I am healthy enough for the proceedure and the whole ordeal. The band will cause so many changes in my life that I am aware that it will be quite an adjustment for me. Do you have your band yet or are you like me, still considering it?