Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bigotry

It may not have been the fluffiest way to say the point, but I've got to agree with Snuffy on the points that were made.

Racism does of course exist in all directions. I agree that stereotypes aren't always correct, but do exist due to some grains of truth or past experience.

I think that we as a society are overly sensitive. I remember being in a training about socioeconomic status and someone using the term ghetto. Another person got terribly offended saying that not all black people are ghetto, when the first person wasn't referring to race, but rather a place and state of mind and it had no implication of who might live in the ghetto or "act ghetto". I think that we as a whole are almost seeking out opportunities to be offended.

On that same note, I sometimes can't help but be offended (my own fault) when a survey asks me if I'm hispanic of non-hispanic. It's like, what are they REALLY trying to gather stats on and could they be LESS obvious.

I just want to see what the average person thinks. I think we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people. We have people from around the world on here, and I think it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion.

1. Does racism still exist?

2. Does "reverse-racism" exist (prejudice against White people from other races)?

3. Does affirmative action still have a place in today's society?

4. Are stereotypes warranted?

And if you post in here, you have to PROMISE not to get offended!!! (me included!!)

1.- Yes, and I think it will always exist... unfortunately...

2.- Prejudice against white people from other races yes.

3.-AA DOES have a place in society IMHO

4.-No, but I could somewhat understand some cultural stereotypes even though I really hate stereotypes..

Hmmmmmm, some very interesting comments and views. Tommy O, I guess your distinction between the 3 words makes sense to me. I still do not really see how the balance of power thing comes into play, OH Juli. I understand what you're saying, but isn't that view essentially an apologetic excuse for certain groups to keep hating?

It's a potential explaination, not an excuse. And if you want changes you need to figure out the source of the problem, so you can change it or recognize it, not just wave away bad behavior and tell people to stop acting badly.

And I agree many people enjoy acting offended and getting hurt...it takes the responsibility off of victim so they need not act appropriately.

I'm bored now.

Maybe I'm naive. I think the the thing to stop racism is to quit focusing on society and history and start focusing on the people you see and interact with everyday. Be nice. If you have children, set a good example. Let's start changing things now and not get mired so much in the past.

I know, pretty corny. But the most powerful role models I've had in my life never shoved their opinions down my throat....they just quietly did the right thing consistently.

I have to agree with Plain, changing our attitudes and setting a good example for the next generations is the key to eliminate racism, focusing on the past is not going to help, we have been doing that for too long already and it just keeps the wounds opened, and I don't mean forget what happened, but focusing in the present and what we can do to change it, if we want healing we need to make a change , make a difference now and in the future.

I just want to see what the average person thinks. I think we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people. We have people from around the world on here, and I think it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion.

1. Does racism still exist?

2. Does "reverse-racism" exist (prejudice against White people from other races)?

3. Does affirmative action still have a place in today's society?

4. Are stereotypes warranted?

And if you post in here, you have to PROMISE not to get offended!!! (me included!!)

1. Unfortunately, yes racism still exists.

2. Reverse-racism definitely exists.

3. Affirmative action, used properly, still has a place. It needs to be applied to those most in need at any period in time.

4. It is what it is. I hate stereotypes, but they exist. Think about racial profiling. We don't do that right? So our random searches by TSA are so helpful in stopping terrorism. I have seen teeny children searched, as well as old men in wheelchairs who were not even aware what was happening to them.

Would be nice if we just made judgments using intelligence.... :)