Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bigotry

I just want to see what the average person thinks. I think we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people. We have people from around the world on here, and I think it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion.

1. Does racism still exist?

2. Does "reverse-racism" exist (prejudice against White people from other races)?

3. Does affirmative action still have a place in today's society?

4. Are stereotypes warranted?

And if you post in here, you have to PROMISE not to get offended!!! (me included!!)

Sure racism still exists. The place I lived before back in the US, white people were discriminated against.

When I lived in VT/NH, I was considered a 'flatlander' and shunned just because I wasn't born or raised there.

Where I live now, I'm different as I don't have a husband and a zillion kids.

So, yes, it exists and in all aspects of life, not just color of skin.

Oh, and to add..... larger people are discriminated against as well...as news shows going undercover pointed out.

Boy, it comes at you from all angles!

1. Yes, without a doubt. I live in the South, and I see it very often. Not to say it isn't in other areas of the country (I've certainly saw it when I was in New England), but I think it's probably more "socially acceptable" to be openly racist/bigoted in certain social circles here.

2. I think prejudice exists in all groups. Do I think that "reverse racism" exists, though? Not really, since racism, to me, has an element of privilege to it, looking down on a race because you think your race is better than theirs. I think certain members of all groups can be prejudiced and bigoted against members of other groups, but not necessarily racist.

3. I think that when properly applied, affirmative action definitely has a place in our society. The kicker is making sure it is properly and correctly applied. As much as I wish it wasn't necessary, I think it will continue to be so until prejudice doesn't exist in our society. And that will be when pigs fly, I think. And honestly, as a woman in a scientific field, I'll acknowledge that I will probably benefit more from AA than many other people.

4. I think stereotypes are generally NOT warranted. Sure, there are always going to be members of a group that completely fulfill the stereotype of their group, but they are by far the minority, I think. Not single black mothers are on welfare, not all gay men are effeminate, not all lesbians are butch, not all poor white people from the South are ignorant, racist rednecks, etc.

I just want to see what the average person thinks. I think we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people. We have people from around the world on here, and I think it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion.

2. Does "reverse-racism" exist (prejudice against White people from other races)?

And if you post in here, you have to PROMISE not to get offended!!! (me included!!)

Let me start out by saying this is covered under Privilege 101, or rudimentary texts pertaining to studies of non-white male groups.

• Yes, it does. In a power dynamic where one group has and continues to have institutionalized power and to maintain they keep to their own and ostracize others particularly based on race it happens; it also happens with gender. White men are in power and until someone not a white man has sat in the White House for 200 years you can tell me it has ended.
  • Reverse prejudice exists but not racism. Racism is using power to keep someone subordinate. Again insert gender for race, I can hate, “the man” have real prejudice against him but that’s not going to get me equal pay. If you don’t like a race other than your own, say Hispanics not liking whites, they have little recourse to put the white man down.
  • See 1 and 2 above, until there is actual equality and please do tell me how there is, affirmative action has a place.
  • Stereotypes serve the purpose to help us categorize all the loads of information that comes at us. They exist for a reason. But it’s the value that a person puts onto the stereotype that gets one in trouble. She’s so butch or he’s such a queen can be really true statement. But it that then means you can beat her up in the alley or dismiss him as silly or inconsequential you, not the person you’ve thrown into a predetermined box are wrong.

Okay, I’ll shut up now.

Let me start out by saying this is covered under Privilege 101, or rudimentary texts pertaining to studies of non-white male groups.

• Yes, it does. In a power dynamic where one group has and continues to have institutionalized power and to maintain they keep to their own and ostracize others particularly based on race it happens; it also happens with gender. White men are in power and until someone not a white man has sat in the White House for 200 years you can tell me it has ended.
  • Reverse prejudice exists but not racism. Racism is using power to keep someone subordinate. Again insert gender for race, I can hate, “the man” have real prejudice against him but that’s not going to get me equal pay. If you don’t like a race other than your own, say Hispanics not liking whites, they have little recourse to put the white man down.
  • See 1 and 2 above, until there is actual equality and please do tell me how there is, affirmative action has a place.
  • Stereotypes serve the purpose to help us categorize all the loads of information that comes at us. They exist for a reason. But it’s the value that a person puts onto the stereotype that gets one in trouble. She’s so butch or he’s such a queen can be really true statement. But it that then means you can beat her up in the alley or dismiss him as silly or inconsequential you, not the person you’ve thrown into a predetermined box are wrong.

Okay, I’ll shut up now.

Preach it! Loud and Proud Ms.Juli. I'm with ya.

Yep and probably always will.

See #1

It may or may not have a place in general society but from what I've seen of it in my DH's work, it doesn't and is dangerous.

For certain reasons, yes. If you are putting people in a box and/or it's in regards to just you being derogatory, then, no.

I do worry about my daughter. We live in the mountains, predominately white, we are, she's not. She's mixed race (cute as a bug, almost 2). I'm hoping she doesn't grow up with problems but realize that she may. As a white woman, I'm not sure I'd be able to help her through it.

My answers

1 yes yes yes

2 there is no such thing using the term reverse racism is close to racism in itself. It implies superiority.

3 Affirmative action is a good thing and is needed so all people have a sense of their potential

4 Stereotypes are based on ignorance

O out

#1 - unfortunately, yes. I think with every generation there's a little less, though...or maybe it's just not as universally accepted. Think about this: We all on LBT interact with each other in a way that was impossible 15 short years ago.

#2 - "racism" to me implies a dislike based solely upon race, so reverse racism is a bit of a mis-nomer, IMO.

#3 - Affirmative action based on race, no. To me, that belittles the accomplishment of the individual. Now, affirmative action based on wealth (or income) I could totally get behind.

#4 - stereotypes......that's a funny word. I don't believe anything should be assumed due to race only. But, there are certain individualisms unique to all cultures (so, cultural stereotypes, maybe. Racial stereotypes, no).

OH Juli, isn't that a racist statement you used earlier? That no civil liberty gains could be made if a white man were to be elected president? Does that mean if a black man is elected, racial problems will be solved, or even eased?

Edited by plain
I'm a horrible speller

Sadly, yes. I'm originally from KS, so I grew up with it in my house, was not even permitted to watch the Cosby show!

Yes, in fact, when I moved to California, it shocked me that I seemed to run into "yes you are white, but how white?" Almost every person I met wanted to know exactly what my heritage/ethnicity is.

I'm not sure where I stand on this, as I know the positive and negative of it. needs more thought

I have fought stereotypes in my life. I don't want to be stereotyped because of where I am from. Also, my boys were raised by a poor single mom, who was divorced from a deadbeat, drug addicted, wife beating a**; I raised them to fight against the stereotype of what society expected out of children, especially boys, raised that way. I think stereotypes can be debilitating (by "labeling")as well as motivating depending on how you look at it

Yes racism still exists. I grew up with a racist father whom I fight with every time a bad word that I despise with every Fiber of my being comes out of his mouth. I personally believe racism to be ignorance.

Affirmative action.... oh a whole other topic that I just won't even get started on.

As for sterotyping... AUGH! Let's just say I am from WV and get this: I own many pairs of shoes, I have ALL of my teeth and I have never dated any member of my family. How's that for debunking sterotypes? I'm also a natural blonde who is not stupid. Man I hate stereotypes!

K- I'm finished ranting now.

Yes, it does, it's just that the race being discriminated against changes. In Australia, its very multicultural, but the immigration of large groups of Italian, Greek and other European people is not large these days, its asian and muslim groups instead.

We've had a large Asian population for quite a few decades in Australia, but at the moment, the area I grew up in, where my parents and Doug's parents still live has become heavily Asian. Over the last decade, thousands upon thousands of Chinese people have moved in, property in suburban Melbourne is amongst the most expensive in the world, but it is still cheap to people coming from Hong Kong or Tokyo! They've bought out the houses, knocked them down (old weatherboard, 1950's type houses), built enormous mock Georgian mansions, left no garden, all very culture specific stuff, completely and utterly destroyed the streetscapes, the flavour of the area is now decidedly Chinese, all the streetsigns, shop signs etc are in Chinese, all the local real estate agents window advertising is in Chinese, the traffic is chaotic and the suburbs' infrastructure is struggling to cope with the influx of people (large families and lots of relatives all in one house). Do people resent that? You bet they do. Do I resent it? Yes, its always an area that we wanted to live in again, but now we cant afford to because prices have been driven up to close to a million dollars for a crappy 1950's 2 bedroom weatherboard house! My children, if they attended the local highschool would be in a very definitie minority, being caucasion.

Is that racism? I dont know. Its annoyance, but I would behave in the exact same way if I moved to Hong Kong, I'd seek out a white area, congregate with other people just like me and want to retain my ways and culture. Of course I would.

I think it becomes racism when I assume that somebody is fundamentally different or lesser than me becuase they are of a different race, and I agree with Laurend that there is a priviledge element to it. There's no way that this particular group of migrants isnt enjoying everything most white Australians enjoy - in fact as a fairly wealthy, educated group they are definitely higher up the social ladder than a lot of white Australians.

Its entirely different when you're a muslim immigrant living in an inner city ghetto, with poor health care and education choices and the horrid stigma of your "violent race" being held against you. There is definitely racism in Australia on that score, and it makes me sick to be honest.

I dont think reverse racism exits - resentment and hatred exists quite naturally but I dont belive you can be the subject of racism from a group that is socially and economically disadvantaged in comparison to you. There's nothing quite so priviledged as being white and middle class.

I think stereotypes come into being because a discernable pattern exists, so yes, I think they are warranted to a degree, afterall, I certainly fit many stereotypes myself. But people only think of stereotype as a negative thing, they focus on the negative and stereotype that.

I dont think reverse racism exits - resentment and hatred exists quite naturally but I dont belive you can be the subject of racism from a group that is socially and economically disadvantaged in comparison to you. There's nothing quite so priviledged as being white and middle class.

But.....what if a young muslim or asian you described hated you simply because you are white? Wouldn't that be racism?

In America, what about the trashy rednecks that hate wealthy blacks because of the color of their skin? Wouldn't that be racism, despite the social and economic flipflop?

It seems to me that racism is the child of ignorance (like Stacey M wrote), but ignorance is the child of poverty.

The thing is, I believe a young muslim would have REASON to hate me becuase I'm white. If I'd been treated the way muslims have been treated in this country for the last ten years, I'd be resentful,fearful and distrustful.

When I'd call it racism is if I were a minority in their country, socially underpriviledged and discriminated against for my basic needs.

I just dont think hate is racism - that young muslim can hate me all she likes, but I dont depend on her for anything, I'm the one with the power in the relationship, if you see what I mean. She cant really discriminate against me unless I end up in a position where SHE holds the power. I just think there's a distinction there. Being hated is not nice when I didnt personally do anything to deserve it, but that's how it goes, its human nature. She didnt personally do anything to be treated that way either.

I really cant speak for situations in the USA, I dont live there, I dont get the power dynamics or the culture or anything, so I wouldnt like to venture an opinion on it.

Edited by Jachut