Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me please! AGB vs RNY

Which fits you best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which fits you best?

• I'm banded, and love my band.
    • I'm banded, and wish I had the RNY (or other surgery) instead.
    • I had the RNY, and now wish I got the band instead.
    • Haven't had surgery yet, but the band is for me!
    • Haven't had surgery yet, but confused about which surgery.
    • Had the band, but removed for RNY.
    • Had the band, but removed it. Not getting another surgery.
    • Should never have gotten any surgery.
    • Have the RNY and band.
    • Had different bariatric surgery (not band or RNY).
    • Other

Thanks for all your help here on LBT. I've made my final decision today and have decided to do the RNY. Good luck to EVERYONE!!! You all have been very nice to me.

941851c851aq8ynb.gif

Best of luck, and if you don't mind sharing, why did you go RNY? I am in the process of making this same decision, and I would love your perspective. Thanks!

Best of luck, and if you don't mind sharing, why did you go RNY? I am in the process of making this same decision, and I would love your perspective. Thanks!

No prob! It's just that I spoke with my doctor and psych and they both said there are better results with RNY and that I'd be a good candidate. It was a TOUGH decision! If you want to chat more, PM me and I will give you my email address. :biggrin2:

All along I have felt the same way as others here. Bypass was too risky, too invasive, non reversible, etc... I felt strongly about it and never once questioned my decision to go with the band.

Now, a couple days ago I ran across this... Gastric Bypass Special on CBS's 60 Minutes - The Bypass Effect

Towards the end it talks about how bypassing the duodenum is a cure for diabetes. Well, crap! I'm not diabetic, but I am very high risk due to family history. So, I have been wondering if I made the right choice.

But, thanks you for this thread. Because it has reminded me of all the reasons that I chose the band. And, they are all still very good reasons. I'm feeling better about my decision again.

Thanks for all your help here on LBT. I've made my final decision today and have decided to do the RNY. Good luck to EVERYONE!!! You all have been very nice to me.

941851c851aq8ynb.gif

I'm happy for you Baby Nicole you made the right decision, brandyII:smile:

Fairysaddle...in the Jan or Feb American Medical Journal or one of them.... it said that AGB was the remission for diabetes...my endocronologist shared the article with me...it is at work but I KNOW it was banding not RNY.

I guess I'm the only one whose diabetes II got worse after surgery than before! I would put lol but it's really not funny. I'm also now on lipitor for high cholesterol! brandyII:frown:

BabyNicole-

Please hang around even after you have your RNY. There is a lot of useful info here that is appropriate for both styles of WLS, and I would miss seeing your cute little avatar too much if you left!:biggrin2:

All along I have felt the same way as others here. Bypass was too risky, too invasive, non reversible, etc... I felt strongly about it and never once questioned my decision to go with the band.

Now, a couple days ago I ran across this... Gastric Bypass Special on CBS's 60 Minutes - The Bypass Effect

Towards the end it talks about how bypassing the duodenum is a cure for diabetes. Well, crap! I'm not diabetic, but I am very high risk due to family history. So, I have been wondering if I made the right choice.

But, thanks you for this thread. Because it has reminded me of all the reasons that I chose the band. And, they are all still very good reasons. I'm feeling better about my decision again.

GBS doesn't cure all all types of diabetes. Sorry I can't remember which one.

Anyway, with weightloss and proper diet and exercise you can control or completely avoid get getting diabetes with the band.

BabyNicole-

Please hang around even after you have your RNY. There is a lot of useful info here that is appropriate for both styles of WLS, and I would miss seeing your cute little avatar too much if you left!:biggrin2:

Thank you, that's so sweet! I check in from time to time when I get emails from LBT. :biggrin2: Plus once I get my surgery, I'll be looking for some good recipes! :blushing:

I guess I'm the only one whose diabetes II got worse after surgery than before! I would put lol but it's really not funny. I'm also now on lipitor for high cholesterol! brandyII:frown:

No BrandyII your not the only one, mine is all wacky since surgery. We were hoping it would go away, but nope no such luck.:cool2:

No BrandyII your not the only one, mine is all wacky since surgery. We were hoping it would go away, but nope no such luck.:cool2:

Well it's not good to know but comforting to know that I'm not the only one! thanks brandyII.

I had my initial consultation yesterday, and was all set on the band. Well, the doc also discussed RNY with me. He was NOT pressuring me either way, he just wanted to discuss my options. Now I'm confused! :unsure: :thumbup: I don't know which to do! :lol: I have 80-100lbs to lose and he said I'd lose more with the RNY. I know this is a band forum, but I'd appreciate honest advice.

Thank you so much!

2057fp3sb49bp5.gif

If you want to gather information on the RNY visit www.obesityhelp.com. They have people on there that have had the RNY or the Lap band. I'm a apart of the group but I mostly use it as a way to read success stories for either side even though I'm getting the lap band done.

If you want to gather information on the RNY visit www.obesityhelp.com. They have people on there that have had the RNY or the Lap band. I'm a apart of the group but I mostly use it as a way to read success stories for either side even though I'm getting the lap band done.

Thank you very much. I'm a member there, but find that the "boards" (Vbulletin, phpbb, etc.) are so much easier to read and more organized. But I do go there from time to time. I love looking at the before and after pics!