Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me please! AGB vs RNY

Which fits you best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which fits you best?

• I'm banded, and love my band.
    • I'm banded, and wish I had the RNY (or other surgery) instead.
    • I had the RNY, and now wish I got the band instead.
    • Haven't had surgery yet, but the band is for me!
    • Haven't had surgery yet, but confused about which surgery.
    • Had the band, but removed for RNY.
    • Had the band, but removed it. Not getting another surgery.
    • Should never have gotten any surgery.
    • Have the RNY and band.
    • Had different bariatric surgery (not band or RNY).
    • Other

I had my initial consultation yesterday, and was all set on the band. Well, the doc also discussed RNY with me. He was NOT pressuring me either way, he just wanted to discuss my options. Now I'm confused! :thumbs_down: :cursing: I don't know which to do! :cursing: I have 80-100lbs to lose and he said I'd lose more with the RNY. I know this is a band forum, but I'd appreciate honest advice.

Thank you so much!

2057fp3sb49bp5.gif

I chose the band over gastric bypass for the following reasons - death rate from surgery is lower, surgery doesn't take as long, with the band your stomach stays in tact where the stomach is cut and a new pouch is created with GB. Gastric bypass is not reversable where LB is. GB has a high rate of malabsorbtion of nutrients and there are certain foods you can't ever eat again. LB you can eat regular foods.

Reports have shown that patients who have LB and GB lose the same amount of weight in the end, but it does tend to be faster when you have GB.

I encourage you to visit some message boards about gastric bypass and see what they have to so say. Personally for me when I read the memorial thread for gastric bypass patients I knew that it wasn't for me.

I chose the lap band for the same reasons as Long2BFree. I did not want my plumbing re-routed. I have a couple of friends that have had the RNY and a couple that had the lapband prior to me. There is really not much difference in the rate of weight loss between the ones with lapband or RNY. The RNY friends did tend to lose faster at first, however, they do have more loose skin than the lapband friends. I am not a doctor or nurse this is just from my observation. In the end this is a personal choice and you will make the right choice for you. I suggest you look at all of the pro's and con's of both surgeries and see which con's bother you the most. I wish you the very best of luck!!:thumbs_down:

Hi, I am strongly in favor of LapBand, and will be getting in July. My doc recommended RNY about 10 years ago, while #290. My insurance doesn't cover, (then or now). I think the risk:benefit profile make by-pass unacceptable. I'm not diabetic, (yet), nor have sleep apnea, (yet), etc. I'm glad I didn't have RNY, even though I'm now #317lbs. I think with banding it is all about follow-up with your support groups, careful titration to optimal "fills", no soda pop, no liquids with meals, and meal planning. It will work if you make. By-pass is virtually irreversible. If LapBand (or "you") "fail", it can be safely and effectively removed.

Hello all...I'm new to the lapband decision and am hoping to have this ball rolling soon. I went to my first seminar this week, which was very informative...now I start the paperwork journey. Is the process as drawn out as it seems? And, w/ my insurance paying 80% will I still have a lot of out of pocket expenses for the procedure itself? Thanx!

The surgeon said with my lower BMI (barely 40 BMI) he doesn't feel the health risk is great enough for me to have the RNY and that the Lapband would be a better choice for me. He did say that with the band you must work to loose the weight, it doesn't "fall off" like the weight does for RNY patients. He explained that 5 years out the weight loss is about the same. Told me that RNY makes you "sick" in order to get you to loose the weight and that they have more life threatening problems. He did go over the risks with the band. Most I already knew.

This is a personal decision. I have 80-100 pounds to loose as well. These are my reasons for having the band vs. RNY

1. once you have RNY if there are complications, can't be reversed.

2. if I ever did have cancer or an ulcer in my stomach or intestines, what would I do?

3. At support group I felt that the general look of RNY was unhealthy and gaunt, LapBanders seemed to have more of a healthy look to them.

4. I am already Vitamin deficient and tend to be anemic, the malabsorbtion worries me greatly for those reasons.

5. mortality rate is much much higher w/RNY

6. long term weight loss rates are the same.

7. longer recovery w/ RNY

Good luck with your decision.

A lot of people with gastric bypass gain their weight back. They can stretch that stomach out and go back to eating their old ways. At least we can get a fill and always be able to manage our portions.

I know a lady that was 450 lbs, got gastric bypass , lost down to 140 lbs. She is now back over 300.

Before being banded I had decided on the band due to all of the reasons listed above. After being banded I've decided I'm the most happy about knowing that if I ever feel myself start to slip and the pounds start to creep up all I have to do is go to the Dr. and have a fill... problem solved. Prior to surgery if I lost I'd regain and have no control over myself... it could take me years to get back on the losing bandwagon. I don't ever want to face that again. Unfortunately, a number of the people I know that have had RNY and are more than 2-3 years out are on the way back up. Their only option for losing is to diet or have more surgery. It breaks my heart to see them struggle after all they've gone through!

I had a hard time deciding too. I read somewhere on the site about a lady who struggled with this decision too. Her doctor asked her what she had to live for? She had two small children and he told her if she wanted to continue to be a part of their lives with no chance of death she should choose lapband. That was enough for me. I have 4 kids and want to be here to see them do everything I can.

I agree with Jack...no need to amputate a perfectly functioning organ.

Plus, I don't know down the road, when I might need the rest of my stomach, medically speaking. God willing, with life expectancies being as they are, I expect to live at least another 40 years.

I want to be healthy but don't know if someday I get sick and need to use the rest of my stomach.

I also like the feeling of control having the Lap Band gives you....could I be a control freak???? Not really, but I know that when you really have to work harder for something, you tend to appreciate more.

So, the Lap Band for me please!

surgery date: May 14, 2008

Edited by Maitai

Thanks for all your responses! I know I have to make this decision myself, but any and all input is helpful. Thanks again!

Thanks for all your help here on LBT. I've made my final decision today and have decided to do the RNY. Good luck to EVERYONE!!! You all have been very nice to me.

941851c851aq8ynb.gif