Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh Crap, Im approved!!

so I just heard back from my surgeons office and Im approved for surgery!!! I dont have a date yet, but we are thinking probably the first full week in May. I have been thinking about the lap band for a year, and have been going through all the steps since January, but I am kind of freaking out right now. I have never had surgery, I have never been under anestesia. I know I really want to do this, and I am ready to make the life changing sacrifices to be healthy, but it all seems like so much, I am scared that I wont be able to do it, that I will fail like I have before. Im scared about surgery and waking up. I have a 4 year old who is my world and the thought of leaving him makes me sob. Sorry Im just ranting. I am just kind of all over the place. Im excited to finally be doing this, but scared to finally be doing this, when it was something in the future it was a lot easier to believe that I could do it. Thanks for listening :glare:

I understand exactly how you are feeling. I haven't gotten the approval, but know I will (easy insurance). The closer you get the scarier it is. It is different than someone telling you that you have to have the surgery. When it is totally your decision, you hope that it is the right one. From what I have seen on this forum, it is the right decision and one we won't regret!!!

Oh my God, you sound just like me. I waited a year to have the surgery (it was done last week). I had never been in a hospital before, never been put under and was terrified. My sister who is a nurse would just look at me and shake her head...

I don't even remember getting into the operating room. I was being wheeled into the OR and the next thing I knew a nurse was gently shaking me saying that it was all over and I was in recovery. The first words out of my mouth were, "Am I still alive?" That had all the recovery room nurses laughing as they assured me it was all over.

Now if I had to have my gall bladder or appendix removed I would say, "no big deal." But two weeks ago - - no way!

Honestly the worse part of the whole surgical process was waiting to have the surgery finally done. It will work out great for you! If you are anything like me when it's all over you will wonder why you ever were scared at all. GOOD LUCK!

--Bridget

Nerves are a natural part of any major decision, especially one involving surgery and such a major life change. You will have your date and be through the surgery on your way to a healthy future for you and your son before you know it! I only wish this option would have been available to me when my son was young. He will be 18 by the time I have surgery, so I guess I will have to save all of my new energy for when he starts having children. Good luck to you!

I know just how you feel. I was feeling the same way you are feeling maybe worst. I was so mixed with emotions until I couldn't even think striaght. I think after praying and know this was to add years to my life that's when I really calm myself down. I can really say that the surgery is really quick and before you know it they will be waking you up. It has been 1 month today since my surgery and I am 29lbs lighter and I am enjoying ever minute of it.

Congratulations !!! How exciting !

I'm just starting and was wondering if you could let me know how you got approved and what the requirments are. Just when you have the time.

Thanks !

Anne

Hi Anne,

Well I have BCBS and when I first contacted my surgeons office they went ahead and contact the insurence to see if they would possible cover it and they said they would if I met certain requirements. Mainly they wanted me to have a psych eval and a nutrition eval, and a letter from my primary doc. and really that was it. I have a BMI of 40 and diabeties on both sides of the family, but thankfully I dont have it yet. I completed the evals and then waited, I kept calling and bugging them and today they came back with my approval. Good luck to you. If you have anyother questions just let me know.

hello, i was nervous also, but for i would say jus remember when you had your son iam sure you had mixed feeling then as well, but you maded it and God is good! i pray for your strengh during this time biggest challenge preparing for what is to come liquid diets and eating healthier LOL, i will be banded in may so good luck on the journery

Hi Anne,

Well I have BCBS and when I first contacted my surgeons office they went ahead and contact the insurence to see if they would possible cover it and they said they would if I met certain requirements. Mainly they wanted me to have a psych eval and a nutrition eval, and a letter from my primary doc. and really that was it. I have a BMI of 40 and diabeties on both sides of the family, but thankfully I dont have it yet. I completed the evals and then waited, I kept calling and bugging them and today they came back with my approval. Good luck to you. If you have anyother questions just let me know.

Thanks so much. I don't even know where to start. I have an appt with my primary care dr today. I'm soo nervous he's going to say no but I am 6'0 tall and weigh 290. I have high blood pressure and also diabeties and heart failure on the sides. I'm not sure what my bmi is tho. Well wish me luck and congrates again on your aproval. We'll have to keep in touch.

Anne

Jadensmom,

This rocks!!! Your approval is a good thing. I was approved back in March and I decided to have my surgery on May 20th. Everyday I am excited,confused and terrified all rolled in one. I started my liquid diet today and I am doing great. (ask me tommorow if I feel the same and I might not. lol). I am preparing myself for the new life I am going to have. I really hope you get the support and encouragement from this forum as I have. The people here who have already had the surgery, and shares their experiences and answers our questions about it are awsome. They give good information and I trust them. I am glad I found this forum, and believe me when I have had my surgery I will continue to read and post my experience also. God bless you and lots of hugs and congratulations to ya.