Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wondering if others have noticed this?

So far of the people I've told at work that I'm getting the Lap-Band, only one person was really against it, and she's the second heaviest in the company (but she's still not huge, maybe around 200-220?). Everyone else has been really supportive and curious about how it works, what I'll be able to eat, etc.

The only person I'll ever refuse to tell is my mom (who is thin), because I won't get any support from here, been there, done that, and partially blame her for my last weight loss attempt failing horribly.

I wish I hadnt told my mom. She is also thin (135 lbs) and completely disapproving of me having surgery. Shes made it more stressful than it already is.

yup i do! i kinda think it goes back to the whole "funny fat girl" thing. we already have the whole package minus the body...our personalities are awesome (and i'm generalizing here....) so we will all be dead knockouts once we lose the extra weight! :thumbup: then WE will be the competition. ??

Hear! Hear! I know I, for one, am pretty damn awesome. It's true. And while I am deeply "in like" with a lovely gentleman (who seems like like me back and is very much supportive of this surgery), I can't help but think that with a little added confidence my already fun and awesome personality will shine through post surgery. And if I'm totally "teh hot" ah well, good.

Some people just always have to be the center of attention. Skinny, fat, whatever.

yup i do! i kinda think it goes back to the whole "funny fat girl" thing. we already have the whole package minus the body...our personalities are awesome (and i'm generalizing here....) so we will all be dead knockouts once we lose the extra weight! :) then WE will be the competition. ??

Dead on! See, we have the good personalities and all we need to do is get down to the desired weightnessnessnessness!

Plus, :) to skinny people who don't have to live at the gym to look half-way decent. hahahaha.

I am one of those people who is actually very secretive about having this procedure. The only people I have told are my close friends and family and every one is very supportive. My thinnest friend and also my closest (so I know she would tell me the truth) is SUPER supportive. She told me the only fear she had was that I would loose my awesome personality and sense of humor and become one of those "douchebaggy" guys :biggrin:

I just can't wait to be able to buy clothes at the mall instead of the internet only :thumbup:

I have always been told the same thing ohh you have such a pretty face. well i guess the rest of me wasnt so pretty. But i hope that i dont lose my friends. I have always been that outgoing friendly girl. I have supportive friends. Just hope it doesnt change when i am 150lbs lighter.

For me it seems people I don't know very well, and my co-workers (only worked here about 4 months) are all very supportive of me. My mother is absolutely the best support I have and she is so encouraging along with my mother-in-law. Unfortunately my hubbie was and still isn't not so hot at the idea, but he is trying to be supportive in his own way I guess. He really threw me for a loop yesterday though when he said "see how dedicated you are to the pre-op diet? Just think if you were this dedicated to diets before you thought about surgery..." I was like shut up! I didn't say that but that made me feel so bad when he said that....and my sister-in-law is usually so supportive of me in my different endeavors but now she is just like "I don't believe in surgery and you know how I feel about it just make sure you know the risks and that most people gain the weight back anyway". I was like.......and you've been dieting for how many years now and have lost how much weight? But of course I couldn't say that. I just said yeah I know that's how you feel but you know how I feel and I'm doing it so please no more negative remarks just don't comment at all. She is completely uneducated on this surgery but she acts like she is....and that hurts. Thank goodness for LBT!!!! 3 days down, 11 days to go for pre-op!

I can relate to EVERYTHING you guys have been saying! Especially in reference to face vs. body beauty. I have my own tragic story about when I realized that's how people (guys) saw me; I'm sure we all do.

I'm also being rather secretive about the procedure, like drew mentioned. I'm a medical student... so I am pretty sure I'd get a lot of flack about "taking the easy way" by my friends who live in the gym and have the energy of a toddler. I also don't want the faculty to really know about it because I don't want to be considered weak, physically or mentally. I already feel like a hypocrite for being a fat future doctor ("Mr. Jones, you *really* need to lose weight to get your cholesterol under control..."); I don't need to feel like an even worse hypocrite for not becoming normal "the old fashioned way."

In reference to what Enigma mentioned about her husband--does anyone ever catch themselves saying the same types of things to themselves? As excited as I am about the band, I can't help but slip into the Danger Zone of self-criticism that I think got me here in the first place. I had my pre-op testing today, and during my stress test, I thought "Geez, if you'd just do this a few times a week, you wouldn't be in the position you're in right now! Too bad you've been too lazy to take care of yourself..." How horrible is that!? I suppose it's true--we are our own worst critics!!

I can relate to EVERYTHING you guys have been saying! Especially in reference to face vs. body beauty. I have my own tragic story about when I realized that's how people (guys) saw me; I'm sure we all do.

I'm also being rather secretive about the procedure, like drew mentioned. I'm a medical student... so I am pretty sure I'd get a lot of flack about "taking the easy way" by my friends who live in the gym and have the energy of a toddler. I also don't want the faculty to really know about it because I don't want to be considered weak, physically or mentally. I already feel like a hypocrite for being a fat future doctor ("Mr. Jones, you *really* need to lose weight to get your cholesterol under control..."); I don't need to feel like an even worse hypocrite for not becoming normal "the old fashioned way."

In reference to what Enigma mentioned about her husband--does anyone ever catch themselves saying the same types of things to themselves? As excited as I am about the band, I can't help but slip into the Danger Zone of self-criticism that I think got me here in the first place. I had my pre-op testing today, and during my stress test, I thought "Geez, if you'd just do this a few times a week, you wouldn't be in the position you're in right now! Too bad you've been too lazy to take care of yourself..." How horrible is that!? I suppose it's true--we are our own worst critics!!

Haha I'm a soon to be med student. I go in next year! I had the same thoughts!