Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emory Bariatric Center Surgeons-- any info?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with any of the following physicians at Emory: Scott Davis, Jahnavi Srinivasan, or John F. Sweeney. So far, the Emory Bariatric Center has been great. Now, I need to make an appointment with one of them, and unfortunately, I can't afford the co-pay for three separate appointments to see who I trust the most.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

(this is also posted in the Doctors and Hospitals forum)

I met Dr. Scott Davis, two weeks ago for my pre sugery appointment. To me he was very professional, courteous, and extremely frank and honest about the surgery's risk, and benefits. I would recommend him.

I agree with atl. When I went in to see Dr. Davis, he was very frank but polite. He told me the good, the bad and the ugly. Since I hadn't lost much weight on the supervised diet, he told me the truth about my role in having the lap-band work for me. It was hard for me to hear, but he was/is right. I respect him for his honesty - his main interest is the patient, not the $$ the patient bring to his office.

Here is what I posted on my OH blog about my experience with Dr. Srinivasan. You can connect to my blog here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/moniquew/

Pre-OP

I met Dr. Srinivasan at an information seminars hosted by Emory Bariatrics. Dr. Srinivasan was warm and welcoming to the vast crowd of WLS seekers. She was bright, articulate, personable and approachable. My gut instinct told me that she was too young to be experienced in WLS, and then I did my homework. Dr. Srinivasan specialize in the Lap Band procedure and has performed over 75 lap band procedures and various other Gastro, GI surgical procedures and repairs. Dr. Srinivasan is the Assistant Professor of Surgery, Division of General and GI Surgery at Emory University. During our first consultation she was very curt and direct about the procedure, the good, bad and ugly. Dr. Srinivasan is very serious about her patients’ overall health and success with the Lap Band procedure. She candidly assessed if I would be an ideal candidate for the band, which she did. I found her to be very knowledgeable and wise beyond her years.

Post-Op

Dr. Srinivasan is just an all around skilled and wonderful surgeon! She really cares about her patients and this is really welcomed when undergoing such a tremendous procedure.

Just before my procedure she came into the prep room to check up on me. I was nervous but she assured me that all was fine she explained all that she would be doing that day. I immediately felt calm and at ease. Later after my surgery my husband told me that while I was in recovery room a nurse telephoned and said that the doctor had requested to speak with him. So he began to scramble and gather up all of his junk from the family waiting area and when he stood to head towards the recovery room Dr. Srinivasan was standing there. She had personally come out to speak with him and explain the details of my surgery. She assured him that everything went well. Not only did she place my lap band but she had repaired a hernia that I had too. A lot of doctors have lost their bedside manners, but this one hasn’t. She just the greatest and I’m so happy that she is my surgeon! I would highly recommend her.

My First Will with Dr. Srinivasan

Today I met with my surgeon; Dr. Srinivasan for my first fill. She was very happy with my weight loss to date. I rather enjoyed the fill because there was zero pain; I actually had the opportunity of seeing my band and port via x-ray and Dr. S, was very informative and answered all of my questions. She began by testing me at a few different levels. She eventually got up to 3.0cc, but dropped it to 2.5cc because the fluids wouldn't pass. At 3.0cc you could see the barium fluids bounce up & down (reflux) in my esophagus. My Dr. said that 3.0ccs would be too tight and could lead to erosion. So she made a few adjustments and now I'm at a comfy 2.5 cc. Yay!!! I'm so happy to have restriction, if even for a little while.

I'm just fortunate to have a surgeon as smart and caring as Dr. Srinivasan. We've all read post on this forum from bandsters whose Doctor's skills and bedside manner make you cringe! I just happen to luck out with a highly skilled doctor who happens to be caring and has great bedside manner.