Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

!&@*#&^&@$^!^!%!

Why are people such assholes?

We are the same as anyone else, we just have a little bit more flubber then anyone else.

What's up with people?

&& It's like people you DON'T even know, judge you.

Now I'm getting the surgery, and everyone's acting different.

Like saying 'Hey, blah blah blah" ...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I go to highschool next year, and I don't know how I'm going to handle it.

I tell you now, if I run into someone who used to make fat jokes at me, and they're trying to be my friend, I will literally tell them to sit on it.

Because I won't stand for it. They treated me like crap, and I really don't want to deal with them.

You know?

I guess I had to type out my feelings this morning I guess, lol.

-Nicole<3

hi nikki, u should just know u r doing this for u and ur health so u don't become an overweight adult. i kinda feel the same way about people wanting to be my friend after i lose the weight....like men at work who pay no attention now......i just figure i will only deal with people who seem genuine to me. u sound like u can tell the difference and will know who is real and who is not. hang in there and don't let them get u down! u r a special person and very brave to go through all this (especially surgery):) just think positive and don't worry about them......just do u! have a great day!

It's very sad that people judge us on our appearance and not who we really are. It's really their loss when they are so shallow and can't see beyound a few pounds; they are really missing out knowing some wonderful people.

Nicole, keep your head high! Remember your family and friends love you no matter what. BTW, things get better once you are out of high school. Like some people say, 'I can lose weight but you can't fix stupid'.

Edited by Long2BFree

Now I'm getting the surgery, and everyone's acting different.

Like saying 'Hey, blah blah blah" ...

Is "hey, blah blah blah" bad? Seriously, I'm not sure what that means, but is "blah blah" different from "blah blah" on any other day? It seems like you're mad because you're assuming people who were mad at you will in the future try to be nice to you. Is that what's going on?

Middle school sucks in that kids are really judgemental and are not afraid to say anything. Sticking up for yourself is the way to go.

By the way, it only gets easier from here. Middle school is the worst. High School is a little better because there is a little more maturity and people learn to be more polite. College and life after is sooo much better. You are your own person and can be anonymous if you want. Most people are starting to mature at this time. This doesnt mean you may not have struggles later, it will just never be as bad as middle school.

Congratulations on making the decision to do this young. Just imagine how high school will be with a more slender and happy you. You still get to look forward to a lot of things . . . like a beautiful dress for prom.

Keep your chin up!!!

Bandit, that was a great post.

Nicole- take if from me, I've been through all that too. I got teased and made fun of all the time. Man, it hurt so much. I can't tell you how often I came home crying because of the abuse I got at school. Just know who your true friends are and don't get caught up in the other people. They're not worth your time. Exactly like bandit put it, You gotta be you-- and the people who like who are you despite the superficial crap are real friends. Throughout this process, remember who you are.

Heidi

High school sucks, and the best advice I can give you.. that I gave my sister who never felt like she fit in.. High School seems like the rest of your life, but it's so irrelevant. The day you graduate high school, nothing that happened there matters.

Even the best of friend ships waiver, simply due to geographical relocation and never seeing each other except for the holidays (if that).

It sucks now, but just remember when you get out, it won't mean crap. And statistically around here, the girls who were the bitches end up marrying the assholes and end up with 4 kids, a black eye and a trailor by time they are 21. That made my sister feel a little better.

FairyFacade - PRICELESS! And so true!

(EDIT: It was true for me, anyhow. Heck, what happens yesterday rolls off my back usually. Not always, but usually. Wheetsin is right, though...many people carry that stuff around like a big heavy bag of rocks. I've always wondered why they just don't put it down?)

Nikkki - I know you are just venting here, and that's good. I must admit I have no clue what "Hey, blah, blah, blah" means either, though! LOL It's hard when you are so young, but you need to be strong and remember that this is for YOU and YOUR HEALTH.

There are different schools of thought amongst bandsters regarding telling people about their surgery....some shout it from the mountain tops and tell complete strangers in the checkout line at Walmart, while others don't even tell their own mothers!

Maybe, just maybe, it would be best not to discuss it with the masses when you are mostly dealing with folks your own age. They generally won't have the maturity to deal with it properly. I wouldn't hide it, either. If a question ever comes up, (such as weight loss questions after you are banded) answer it nonchalantly and move on as if its no big deal. Some people just refer to completely revamping their eating habits, which is accurate, even if it's not a complete explanation.

I know you are being banded this summer. If it is early summer, you will have some time to get used to your new tool and have some weight loss behind you before school starts up again. I think as long as you don't lie or hide anything...the less information you give kids at school, the better.

Edited by TexasFire67

I have to kind of disagree with Fairy. I WISH things that happened in highschool stop mattering as soon as you graduate, but many people carry the insults, trauma, bad experiences, etc. for their entire lives. I know people who were overweight in highschool, teased non-stop, ridiculed, never could get a date, etc. who STILL into their 40s and 50s carry that burden on their shoulders. There are just SOOO many people out there, who carry scars from highschool and have their highschool experiences STILL defining what they do today, for me to be able to agree wtih the idea that the day you graduate, none of it matters. I'd wager there are a good number on this board who, if honest, would admit to current "today" harsh feelings, hurt feelings, depression, anger, etc. from some event that happened back in highschool.

nikki - you're in HS so you know how superficial it is. Just understand that at this point in their lives, that's all the better those people are. It's what they know and value. Perhaps if anything, you could feel empathy for them, since that's all the better they are.

Thanks to eveyone who posted.

The "Hey, blah blah blah" part ment, like people I know who are backstabbers, talk to you like you were their best friend.

Bandit - Thank you very much. (: I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, but it's hard. You have a great day too. =)

Long2Bfree- Thank you. :thumbup: I liked your quote.

Wheetsin - No, I ment people that WE'RE mean to me, will be nicer. I've seen it happen before, and they acted like nothing happend. Thank you for posting. (:

Heather - Your post was very nice. :smile: I can't wait for that prom dress!! Thanks. :tt1:

Heidi - Your post was the same thing I'm going through now. You'r right, they're not worth our time. (=. Thanks for posting.

Laura - Your post made me laugh!!! I love the trailor park story!! But you we're right on everything you said. Thank you. =)

Stefanie - I told a handfull of people, and then word got around, and alot of people know now. But it's okay, I guess. I've talked to people about it, like some of my old teachers when I go to my brothers school. Some of them have actuley checked into getting the band which is awesome. Thanks for posting. (:

I have to kind of disagree with Fairy. I WISH things that happened in highschool stop mattering as soon as you graduate, but many people carry the insults, trauma, bad experiences, etc. for their entire lives. I know people who were overweight in highschool, teased non-stop, ridiculed, never could get a date, etc. who STILL into their 40s and 50s carry that burden on their shoulders. There are just SOOO many people out there, who carry scars from highschool and have their highschool experiences STILL defining what they do today, for me to be able to agree wtih the idea that the day you graduate, none of it matters. I'd wager there are a good number on this board who, if honest, would admit to current "today" harsh feelings, hurt feelings, depression, anger, etc. from some event that happened back in highschool.

nikki - you're in HS so you know how superficial it is. Just understand that at this point in their lives, that's all the better those people are. It's what they know and value. Perhaps if anything, you could feel empathy for them, since that's all the better they are.

Well, to that I would say Hakuna Matata! :thumbup: I guess my point is, don't let it traumatize you. I know I had bad points in HS, but frankly I don't remember anything specific.. all I remember now are the funny times. There were people I hated because they were shitty people, but to this day that means absolutely nothing to me. Even if I ran into them again, I wouldn't think twice about it. Just a reflection back on what a crappy person they were.. has nothing to do with me. And I couldn't tell you what was specifically said. The only trauma story I have is from middle school, and the only reason I think I remember it so well is because my mom came to the rescue and humiliated the girl in the mall in front of all of her friends. So the only reason is stuck was because it had a happy ending.

High school sucks, and the best advice I can give you.. that I gave my sister who never felt like she fit in.. High School seems like the rest of your life, but it's so irrelevant. The day you graduate high school, nothing that happened there matters.

Even the best of friend ships waiver, simply due to geographical relocation and never seeing each other except for the holidays (if that).

It sucks now, but just remember when you get out, it won't mean crap. And statistically around here, the girls who were the bitches end up marrying the assholes and end up with 4 kids, a black eye and a trailor by time they are 21. That made my sister feel a little better.

I do have to agree with this statement, altho to what Wheetsin said too, I really think it depends on the person and their experience that happened. I was big in high school for sure one of the biggest girls in my grade but I didn't really have any issues related to that. I was like Switzerland, neutral and friends with everyone, including the "in" crowd but I only hung out with "my crowd". As for the years later . . . I moved, others moved and I'm hardly in contact with any of those people now besides the odd Facebook message.

But yes, Kids suck. lol

The worst for me was 4th through 8th grade! If I ever ran across those boys again I'd slap the shit outta them! It was always the same 3-4 boys (went to a very small school), bet they are all fat and bald by now! Serves um right! :tt1:

Thank goodness I slimmed out in HS (135lbs) - got married and had kids, the rest is band history!!

Kel