Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

!&@*#&^&@$^!^!%!

High school sucks, and the best advice I can give you.. that I gave my sister who never felt like she fit in.. High School seems like the rest of your life, but it's so irrelevant. The day you graduate high school, nothing that happened there matters.

Even the best of friend ships waiver, simply due to geographical relocation and never seeing each other except for the holidays (if that).

It sucks now, but just remember when you get out, it won't mean crap. And statistically around here, the girls who were the bitches end up marrying the assholes and end up with 4 kids, a black eye and a trailor by time they are 21. That made my sister feel a little better.

Soooooo true. haha.

Get good grades, though. That matters. haha. Take it from me.

Yeah, it sucks while you're in the middle of it...and when you're dealing with weight issues, it sucks double.

neveragain makes a good point....CONCENTRATE your efforts on your GRADES. THAT'S what important in High School....everything else is BS.

Get those grades!

Naw, the grades are BS too ... I'm 50 and no one has ever asked me about my HS grades and I only got asked about my college grades the first couple of years out of school when going on job interviews.

Good grades in HS will make it easier to get into college, but once you are accepted to college, they become meaningless.

Yeah grades are semi-important to get into college, depending on where you want to go.. but extra activities look good too. Once you get into college, grades really matter! For job interviews, I've only ever been asked to supply transcripts from college, not HS.

I understand what Nikki is complaining about, I am getting the similar treatment from some of the women DH works with. We discussed this on another thread a couple days ago.

When I was at my biggest, they did not have the time of day for me, they ignored me, and did not act like I existed. Then I lost weight---I love my band!!! These same women--many of whom are maximum size 5---yet others are obese, they suddenly want to talk to me, and lo and behold, within a couple minutes the subject comes around to my weight! They want to ask personal questions, how much I've lost, ask about the band-----which if they had treated me decent in the begining when I was friendly with them, I would gladly answer. But hell no! Treat me like crap when I am fat, and then want to get info from me when it suits you-screw that!

Then we added insult to injury----and now DH is the boss!!! They fall all over themselves trying to buddy up to me now! Nope! There were some who were pleasant, and friendly from day one, and those are the ones I associate with, the others can take a flying leap!!!!

I think you need to take the time this summer to come up with a simple response---something not hateful------very simple----just like "do we know each other?" to always use when those type come up to you!

By high school, some people really do change, and if you are mature enough to handle the band, and to know to come here and vent, not take it out on someone (!) you are smart enough to recognize genuine when you find it. That may actually come in the form of someone from the past who is truly interested in the changes you made for yourself, or it may be from someone new to the school. When you find your niche, stick to it, let the rest stay peripheral.

Do your best to enjoy your high school years. Explore some education options----and always keep in mind, this is just something to get through, to get on with your life!!! I know that these problems to you are as big to you as someone later in life facing a foreclosure or something--this is your life, and someone/something is screwing with it!!!

I hope you knock their socks off. The absolute best advice I can give you is this.....walk into that school with your shoulders back, and with pride--even if you ARE shaking on the inside! Walk proud! Strut your stuff girl!!! Smile, as though you know something they don't. Do not skulk around like you have anything to be ashamed of. Show them how you are losing the weight, let them see you eat.....keep them guessing!!! But never ever let them think that you believe they are better than you. You are not less than any of them---regardless of weight, or skin color, or family situation-------anything!

When you get back, if you have hard times, come here, and let us bolster you back up------because girl, they may be talking about you getting the band now-----but someone will get arrested next month, or pregnant, and you will be old news. And by the time high school is over, they WILL be talking about how hot you have become!!!

Hang in there----you will show them!!

Kat

Naw, the grades are BS too ... I'm 50 and no one has ever asked me about my HS grades and I only got asked about my college grades the first couple of years out of school when going on job interviews.

Good grades in HS will make it easier to get into college, but once you are accepted to college, they become meaningless.

Yeah, I'll agree with you. For me, the grades were important for the career path I wanted to pursue, and really important for the college iI wanted.

I have a teenage son, and I encourage (but not push REAL hard:wink2:) him to get good grades, because to get good grades, you have to study. And I want him to LEARN how to LEARN. In reality, I know that people can be very successful without ANY college, but they need to have the ability to acquire knowledge. So I push the studying thing so he will know how to learn what he needs to know.

Oh, and I guess (when i think about it) the socialization part of high school is important...learning how to interact with people, etc. :)

nikkikki2292,

I can understand what you're going through and I know my daughter had issues in high school too. She had a real hard time because of her weight and now she's going to get the surgery and is 19. You'll find that there are people that are decent in high school. I know the bad ones tend to stick out the most, we never forget the hurtful things that are said. But, we can move on and you are getting surgery and are going to have a fresh start in a way. High School is hard but you'll find people there that you can have fun with and relate to.

Good luck! brandyII