Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some people, I swear...

Maybe he's a troll? Some people get pleasure from igniting anger and responses on message boards. That's just what they do for fun. It's horrible, but I've come across trolls before. They just want to start drama, and they get laughs from everyone getting angry.

That is one of the things I like about the thread---it is not in anger---it is in a "prove it" type of attitude. People are being decent yet calling him on his claim.......Lots of class being shown thus far....when that ceases, I will quit following it, I refuse to give people like that the satisfaction, when that is all they want!!!

Kat

And I do feel bad too if indeed he has gone through all that, but his story with no details of pretty much anything makes it not too credible, a port sticking out of the stomach seems impossible to me, then again, what do I know..? hopefully he can find the picture and luckly his lawyer friend took that picture, I believe that band complications are VERY real, but this case is bizarre....

I am very glad you are all good at spotting holes in people's stories. I noticed he never answered the questions of who, when, and where about his lapband surgery. Many good questions asked. Thanks everyone.

I reckon its GeezerSue in disguise!

About the only thing I agree with is that there ARE a lot of surgeons getting on the bandwagon so to speak. Bariatric surgery sure is a moneymaker now and there's a lot of doctors out there that are doing them to make money, not becuase they give a rats about the plight of the obese.

Ya, the only reason WLS are getting to be moneymakers is because they are proven and insurances are covering them more and more.

Honestly, a leading doctor in Lap Band surgeries thinks docs should be sued for putting them in and he is still doing them? First lawsuit that is won against the Lap Band and doctors will drop it quickly.

Especially prominent ones.:rolleyes2:

Well, of course the surgeons are doing it to make money. It's their job. Tell me which doctors don't charge for their services and just do their work out of the goodness of their hearts. Probably not his surgeon who is doing all the repairs!

What an irritating man! I have just come back from posting a snarky reply to him on that thread. Oh, ugh! He makes me think of Ernest Hemmingway, you know, the guy who wrote For Whom the Bell Trolls.

Lol--------aaaahhhh green-----have I told you lately how much I love your posts????

He beat the hell out of R & R today!!!

Kat

Ok. I don't have my doctorate in physiology or anything, but I know a little bit. I suppose it is possible that he's telling the truth. If he is, then he was given zero post-op or aftercare instructions. Again, that might be possible if he had his surgery in Mexico, or elsewhere overseas (I'm not knocking those that got banded in Mexico, BTW). But if he had his operation in a hospital, then either 1) - this is this worst hospital known to man (but he wrote that the hospital was one of the "finest") or 2) he's full of shit. Because even if he had the most incompetant doctor in the world, the hospital (with potential lawsuits always in the back of their mind) would provide, in writing, postop instructions of what he needed to do, and what he should do if he feels there is a problem. He probably had to initial that he recieved those instructions before he even had the surgery.

Onto the physiology: Unless his doctor totally botched (which is possible) port placement, it would take some length of time for a loose port to erode through the adipose tissue and then through all the dermal layers. Like somebody mentioned before, you'd think he would notice a lot of pain / bruising (from the bleeding that had to occur).

The only way I can think of as to how his tubing would end up in the colon is this scenario: Band erodes a hole in the stomach, tubing somehow detaches and finds way into hole, and works way into colon from there. Again, it's possible, but I'd think it would be the equivalent of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning at the same time.

Bottom line, there are a whole lot of possibles, but they add up to improbables. I'd like to hear from some nurses / doctors on here what their theory is (uh, off the record, of course).

Finally, OP makes a big point of "why would I come on here with my story?I have nothing to gain". Except....people get on here all the time to just be negative. And y'all can boo me all you want, but I don't know if a person that is 300 lbs overweight is an excellent candidate for the band in the first place. That much overweight may need a malabsorbive procedure.

Well, ANY chance that it was for real went away when he said the operation is a month from now. Complicated or not, if he has a hole in his stomach from the band eroding, and the tubing is into his colon.. there's no way in hell.. insurance/lawyer/doctor issues or not.. they would wait a month to operate.

Not a chance.

----

And he'll post the pics, but not in the next 24 hours.. it takes time to photoshop doncha know.

Edited by FairyFacade

Listen Ladies (and gents) coming from my lowly EMT experiance .. he is full of crap ... a perfed colon is ER/OR in lightening speed.. sepsis can kill in a very VERY Short time

Bah, I lose at being fast at the internets :tongue:

How about on the Wide World of Webs? :)

Well anyone know top of head how long RnY has been around? RnY is statistically much more dangerous than lap band. They didn't pull that!

In fact, it's still the most common WLS.

About the only thing I agree with is that there ARE a lot of surgeons getting on the bandwagon so to speak. Bariatric surgery sure is a moneymaker now and there's a lot of doctors out there that are doing them to make money, not becuase they give a rats about the plight of the obese.

There are definitely people who make WLS a big racket. It's discouraging to me because I hate feeling like if I don't pay attention every single second, I'm going to be taken advantage of. Plus when I started on this journey, I figure it would be like any other medical procedure ... now I've got insurance issues, am petrified I'll pick a surgeon with a high erosion or slippage stat and lots of other crap I wouldn't have to worry about if I were just getting my gallbladder out.

I agree with the later poster who said she is waiting to get the sales pitch.....that he was gonna tell us all about later---how to do this without the band... Buy it from me, I am so good, I only had to almost die to learn!!! Sorry, now I Am being a bitch!!! I'll quit!!!

It wasn't that good. It was just "go listen to Tony Robins". I don't hate Tony Robins as much as I hate Dr. Phil, but I still hate him enough not to go listen to him. :wink2:

Listen Ladies (and gents) coming from my lowly EMT experiance .. he is full of crap ... a perfed colon is ER/OR in lightening speed.. sepsis can kill in a very VERY Short time

He never said his colon was perforated. He said the port had separated from the band and traveled to his colon.

I think it's likely he's telling the truth. Lap bands do erode and once they are in the stomach, they can travel. But I think there are lots of things he's leaving out. Like the port sticking out ... I bet that happened before the incision healed 100%, for example. And that stuff about how he's in danger of dying from the operations .... sure, taking a lap band out of the stomach isn't going to be a piece of cake, but I wonder if at least half of the 'I might die!" is because he has a really high BMI and any surgery would be dangerous.

If he had just come here, posted in Lap Band Complications a straightforward version of his story and left out all the drama and the condensing preaching, it probably would all be more believable. It sure as hell wouldn't have been half as annoying.

it takes time to photoshop doncha know.

Ha. If he does that, we'll be all over him like ants on honey. There are several photographers on here who can spot a photoshop fake a mile away.

I just answered over there too. He stated "burrowed/embedded in his colon" darlin, that is a emergancy surgery to repair the damage. Sepsis can and will kill in a matter of hours, if he has something burrowed/embedded in his colon (his words too) it can/will lead to leakage which turns septic. I don't buy it.

Agree w/ Pix. A perfed colon doesn't have to be all the way transected, or anything. Even a "nick" can allow the harmful gut bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Although I was thinking the same thing RE: his "critical" status and his BMI. By my calculations he'd be around 200 lbs overweight. That has to be a challenge to any surgical team.