Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bmi of 30 - will any surgeon help me?

Precision Surgery in Texarkana, TX says they will do lapband for BMI 30 or higher. Of course it would be selfpay because no insurance is going to cover that. Price is about $15,000.

After reading all the replies I got, it sounds to me like even if I did still think it's a good idea for me, I would be turned down by both U.S. and Mexican surgeons alike. I have no health problems at this time, and have maintained my weight for over 2.5 years - even had a baby in between and lost all of the 18 pounds I gained within 3 months of delivery.

Hmmm... maybe my body just REALLY wants to stay at 170, and it schedules my binges to coincide with any weight loss it sees as threatening its hold on that magic number. Odd way of looking at it, I know, but it really does seem that I can be really good on a diet and lose a few pounds, but 2 weeks later I am gorging myself and am back to 170 again. Oh, and I never purge, and I can throw down some SERIOUS calories (bag of chips, box of donut holes, a pint of Ben and Jerry's) - yet I never go past 172. Sooo... that leads me to believe my body has a mind of it's own when it comes to weight. It is a perfect weight-maintaining machine! Too bad it's not the weight I want.

Besides, I really haven't explored the whole psych-side of my issue. No doubt there is something dark and sinister waiting to be revealed in my past that will explain my eating disorder - but will revealing that really make it easier for me to learn not to binge? That was why I thought the lap band would be a good kick-start - since exploring my past will take years, but why not have a little help in the meantime?

Again, thank you all for your insightful, varied, and caring advice. I wish you all the best of luck with your own situations, and I hope I won't be back telling you all I'm a BMI of 40 with sleep apnea and diabetes in a few years!

Cheers!:rolleyes2:

Hmmm... maybe my body just REALLY wants to stay at 170, and it schedules my binges to coincide with any weight loss it sees as threatening its hold on that magic number. Odd way of looking at it, I know

It's not weird at all. That's exactly how everyone works. It's just that some of us have yo-yo dieted ourselves into bodies that think they should be 225 or 340 or some other really high and dangerous number. (Or we have a health condition that sets our number that high.)

Maybe you'll be lucky and 170-ish will remain your number. It's a lot easier to tell a 170 body that it's number is really 145 than it is when your body is screaming for the calories of a 225 pound person. I know this from experience!

Besides, I really haven't explored the whole psych-side of my issue. No doubt there is something dark and sinister waiting to be revealed in my past that will explain my eating disorder - but will revealing that really make it easier for me to learn not to binge? That was why I thought the lap band would be a good kick-start - since exploring my past will take years, but why not have a little help in the meantime?

Aw, it's probably not that deep and dark. :) There are workbooks you can buy that help you work through your mental issues, if you don't want to do it through traditional therapy. Most people can work through them in months, not years.

Hi Carlou:

I have lurked on this site for a few months but never been inclined to register until reading your post and all the responses. My BMI was 30 when I had my lapband placed. I am 5'6 and had been at my goal weight three times with WW and Atkins. Never once did I maintain my weight loss. As I got older, it became even more difficult to lose and then to maintain. I have been a yo yo since High School.

On January 1 of this year, I watched "Big Medicine" and saw the doctors' daughter and sister on the show. She had the lapband and they showed a preband video of her. I said outloud "She looks just like me!" I sent an email to Dr. Garth, told him my BMI, asked about docs who do lapband for "lower bmi" and he emailed me within the hour. From then I did tons of research and found reputable doctors both in the US and Mexico who would do my surgery and those who would not. Dr. Curry, on Obesity Help lapband site has a wife who was banded at a lower BMI as well (30-31).

So the truth is that there are many reputable docs who will band at 30 and studies are underway for this population. Of course insurance doesn't cover at this tiime anyway. I was banded January 28 and am thrilled with my band. I have lost 20 pounds and am currently waiting for my third fill to get some decent restriction again.

Good luck to you whatever you decide and email me anytime.

Maggie

MacMadame, thanks for your words of wisdom. Your blog is very interesting - I'm sure a lot of people are curious about other's journeys to lap band surgery, so keep it up! I'll be watching and waiting to see how it all unfolds.

Maggie, that is great information you provided about surgeons willing to band a BMI of 30. I will do some research, but I have a feeling it's not in the cards for me, as my husband is none too keen on the idea of "unnecessary" surgery. He supports me in my efforts at weight loss and he's very kind and understanding about the way I look and my eating disorder, but he really prefers I exhaust all other options before doing something drastic. And since he'd be the one paying for it, it really is his call. There is an eating disorders clinic about 20 miles from us, so I have made a commitment to call them and see what they can do for me. Congratulations on your weight loss and I wish you the best. Oh, and I plan to check out the info you provided, just to keep it up my sleeve if my circumstances change. Thank you so much for answering my question!

Take care, all.

There is a new facility in Plano, TX that is advertising lap band. I am a little disappointed that they are treating it so lightly. The message is that vanity is the biggest reason to get a lap band. However, they state that they will do the surgery if you have only 30-40 lbs to lose. That shocked me... I'm starting to think that most of the population will have some kind of weight control device at some point in the future.

My name is Christine and I work at Remuda Ranch. I agree with some of the posts about dealing with the emotions/reasons that drive the binging behaviors. Binging is often a coping mechanism. Remuda Ranch has an Emotional Eating program for women who struggle specifically with binge eating. It is important to learn how to deal with life and it's challenges in a healthy way. The best way to do that is to get specialized help. I would like to encourage you to call us at 1-800-445-1900. By calling it will allow us to see what we can do to help. I hope we hear from you very soon!

I'm not sure if the Lap Band is the right answer for you. You are considered a "healthy size" right now. Most, if not all, surgeons require a person to be 100 lbs overweight, with an extensive history of being overweight. Most require your BMI to be 40 or higher. They will do it with a BMI of 35, but you have to have co-morbidities (sleep apnea, hypertension, etc..) I work in a doctors office that does a lot of bariatric referrals and we have had several patients be "denied" surgery because the didn't pass the psych evaluation. Labpand is a physical tool, and it sounds to me like you might need to talk to someone. IMHO.

Wait a minute...

Since when is obesity a healthy size? If the OP is a 30BMI they are beyond the healthy range and beyond overweight and into obese. There is no way you are going to tell me that obese is healthy, it is not.

It's only the US surgeons that require MORBID obesity to do surgery, other countries only require a 30BMI for surgery. Mexico, Australia, etc.

I wish I would have been banded at a 30BMI instead of 42. Would have made my life much easier.

Also, the OP titled the thread "will any surgeon help me" and the honest answer is "Not in the US". It may suck but it's the reality of the band at this point in time. Even in Mexico, you need comorbidities if your BMI is under 35 -- and even then not all surgeons will do it.

Who in Mexico won't band someone under 35? Their standard of care is the same as Australia, 30BMI or more, period. That is with or without comorbidities. Individual docs may vary but I haven't heard of anyone not banding under 35. Not to say there aren't any, I just haven't heard of them. It's only the US that requires 35 w/comorb or 40 w/o.

Wait a minute...

Since when is obesity a healthy size? If the OP is a 30BMI they are beyond the healthy range and beyond overweight and into obese. There is no way you are going to tell me that obese is healthy, it is not.

It's only the US surgeons that require MORBID obesity to do surgery, other countries only require a 30BMI for surgery. Mexico, Australia, etc.

I wish I would have been banded at a 30BMI instead of 42. Would have made my life much easier.

Couldn't agree more. I was obese at 30 BMI it would have prevented many of my health problems today. A much easier road to loose then being a 40 plus BMI.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding bingeing here, but if you are the sort of binger who sneaks down after everyone is asleep and eats a chocolate cake and some chips and drinks a lot of soda or something and then purges it, a lap band is not going to resolve those issues. Anyone who wants/needs to purge is gonna be in big trouble with a lap band.

I think that anyone who has emotionally-based eating disorders will still need to resolve those issues.

Perhaps one doesn't doesn't need to diet (restrict eating), but many are banded who do not have healthy eating habits in place (me included). I have had to change my habits and just eating what I normally cook would not suffice. I am searching as much for health as for lower weight.

I think that it is healthier, mentally and physically, to deal with those issues in conjunction with banding.

One thing none of us wants to say (knock on wood) is that we may not have the band forever and if we have not dealt with issues (relearning food choices, dealing with emotional issues, etc.) we are almost guaranteed to end up in the same place without the band. We might have a fighting change to retain weight loss if we have learned new behaviors and dealt with eating disorder issues and then lose the band.

Who in Mexico won't band someone under 35?

I'm just going by what they say on their web sites under "who is eligible". Every time my insurance issues pop up, I research Mexican doctors so I have a bunch of their sites bookmarked. :biggrin:

Here is what I've found:

Dr. Alvarez says he'll do 30 to 39 if you have co-morbidities. The OP said there were no co-morbidities.

Dr. Aceves web site says:

You weigh at least twice your ideal weight or You weigh at least 100 lbs. (45 kilos) more than your ideal weight. (which translates into around 40 BMI for most).

And in another place it says, it's normally not done if your BMI is under 40 unless you have co-morbidities.

Dr. Rumbault says "We accept obesity surgery patients who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or above and who have been overweight for at least 5 years despite serious attempts to lose weight. We may also consider you for the Lap Band surgery in Monterrey if you have a BMI of 32 and suffer from the obesity related health challenges listed on the Morbid Obesity page and/or from low back pain, arthritis or shortness of breath."

So if they are doing it for people with a BMI of 30 with no co-morbidities, they need to update their web sites. :tongue:

I'm just going by what they say on their web sites under "who is eligible". Every time my insurance issues pop up, I research Mexican doctors so I have a bunch of their sites bookmarked. :biggrin:

Here is what I've found:

Dr. Alvarez says he'll do 30 to 39 if you have co-morbidities. The OP said there were no co-morbidities.

Dr. Aceves web site says:

You weigh at least twice your ideal weight or You weigh at least 100 lbs. (45 kilos) more than your ideal weight. (which translates into around 40 BMI for most).

And in another place it says, it's normally not done if your BMI is under 40 unless you have co-morbidities.

Dr. Rumbault says "We accept obesity surgery patients who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or above and who have been overweight for at least 5 years despite serious attempts to lose weight. We may also consider you for the Lap Band surgery in Monterrey if you have a BMI of 32 and suffer from the obesity related health challenges listed on the Morbid Obesity page and/or from low back pain, arthritis or shortness of breath."

So if they are doing it for people with a BMI of 30 with no co-morbidities, they need to update their web sites. :tongue:

With every single one of those doctors that you listed if you call them they will do your surgery if you are a 30BMI or greater. Every single one of them. Same holds true with Australia. Each country has an accepted standard of care, for Mexico and Australia (as well as others) it is 30 or more. It is ONLY the US that requires 35 w/comorbs or 40 w/o comorbids.

Try it, see what you find out.

With every single one of those doctors that you listed if you call them they will do your surgery if you are a 30BMI or greater.

They should change their web sites then. :tongue_smilie: Because lots of people won't call and will just go by what they say.

Try it, see what you find out.

That's good advice for the OP. There is also that clinical trial that she might be able to get into.

For me, I'm in kind of a catch-22. Right now my BMI is too high for the lower BMI clinical trial but I also have to change insurance during Open Enrollment to get the surgery covered. But, if I make the lifestyle changes I have already started to make and want to continue making in preparation for the band, I will lose weight. Heck, I've already lost weight and I haven't even been doing much but drinking more fluids.

That means by the time I get the new insurance, my BMI will be too low for my insurance. (This assumes they won't consider my hypertension a co-morbidity. Which it sounds like they won't because it's well controlled with the most mild of medicine.)

But if I go to Mexico, none of this will be issue. I will qualify, no problem. The only thing stopping me is that it's so far away. I'd prefer to have my doctor be within an hours drive.

They should change their web sites then. :tongue_smilie: Because lots of people won't call and will just go by what they say.

Not sure I can agree. Look at the comments made by Americans due to sheer ignorance of any country other than the US. If doctors tried to to explain that the US doesn't always have the best standards of care and other countries accept patients for surgery at a BMI of 30 or more, US patients would just assume that since the US is best (ahem) then the Mexican surgeons or Australian surgeons simply are greedy and would band their dog if the price was right. They have to write similar things to the US docs. They have to depend on rep, US docs have to depend on insurance contracts.

That's good advice for the OP. There is also that clinical trial that she might be able to get into.

For me, I'm in kind of a catch-22. Right now my BMI is too high for the lower BMI clinical trial but I also have to change insurance during Open Enrollment to get the surgery covered. But, if I make the lifestyle changes I have already started to make and want to continue making in preparation for the band, I will lose weight. Heck, I've already lost weight and I haven't even been doing much but drinking more fluids.

That means by the time I get the new insurance, my BMI will be too low for my insurance. (This assumes they won't consider my hypertension a co-morbidity. Which it sounds like they won't because it's well controlled with the most mild of medicine.)

But if I go to Mexico, none of this will be issue. I will qualify, no problem. The only thing stopping me is that it's so far away. I'd prefer to have my doctor be within an hours drive.

I think everyone prefers a local surgeon but sometimes it's just easier and faster (and just as safe) to go out of the country.