Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have words that irritate you?

Well, let's see. My husband was born in Warshington--that's how he says it. My New England relatives think the state to the south of Washington is Awragawn. But my personal cringemaker is people who say "WALLAH!" and have no idea it's the French word "voila" they are after.

But my personal cringemaker is people who say "WALLAH!" and have no idea it's the French word "voila" they are after.

oooohh, good one. That one bugs me too!

*runs off to google gobbets*

I had never heard that word before in my life! I never even knew that googling gobbets was possible until today! =)

Gibson googles gobbets. Got it, Gibson. Give us gobbets gleefully.

Okay, pain meds are my muses. Or not.....

Gibson googles gobbets. Got it, Gibson. Give us gobbets gleefully.

Okay, pain meds are my muses. Or not.....

Well Ezma, your muses amused me at least! =) Why are you in pain?

As an English major in college I have to say that poor grammar in any form drives me crazy. The one that makes me cringe the most is when people mean to say, "I saw her at the mall yesterday." and instead say, "I seen her at the mall yesterday." Makes me want to get out a ruler and slap their hands.

My FAVORITE words begin with the letter "P" - not sure why. In fact some of my favorites have already been mentioned. The word "pickle" makes me laugh too! And I'm a big fan of the word "panties". Other awesome P-words are "plethora" and "platypus"...ooh - and "petunia".

I very much enjoy this thread!

There are so many words that agitate me.

Mispronunciations:

Newfoundland - with the accent on 'found'. For those of us who have lived or spent time there, it rhymes with understand - accent on 'land'

Geography:

Canada has provinces, not providences. I won't begin to discuss the pronunciation of Saskatchewan. :biggrin2:

Colloquialisms

'flushed out' - as in discussed an issue. To flush means to be rid of; the phrase is 'fleshed out' that is, to have a fulsome discussion. Either way, I hate the use of the phrase!

The entry room in a house is a foyer...it is a French word, and is pronounced correctly foy-ay, not foy-er.

So many words, so little time! On the other hand, a favourite word: uvula. Oh, and undulate...almost hypotic to say and hear.

How about heighth? It's width, and height. Not heighth.

My dh's pet peeve is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

Me too! Me too! *Raises hand* This is SO annoying to me.

How about, "Who'd have thunk"? Oh man I just want to strangle anyone who says that! It is supposed to be "Who'd have THOUGHT"?!!!!!

From dictionary.com:

thunk1 thinsp.png Audio Help /θʌŋk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thuhngk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.an abrupt, dull sound: the thunk of a shutting window. –verb (used without object) 2.to make such a sound: The window thunked shut.

[Origin: 1945–50; b. thud and clunkthinsp.png]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

thunk2 thinsp.png Audio Help /θʌŋk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thuhngk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –verb Nonstandard. a pt. and pp. of think1.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

tapshoes, undulate and uvula are two of the words I hate!! lol

That also triggered a memory for another word that makes me cringe. Vulva. Eeeewwwwww.

Irregardless . . . One of my husband's ex-wife's favorite words. Usually used to talk about anything he wanted in the way of visitation. Thank goodness those days are over.

Becca--I had a friend in high school who would go into gales of laughter at the sound of the word "put." You are not alone.

I can't stand to hear the word Marshmellow. Anytime it is said or somebody asks me if I want one, I immediately want to hurl. Back when I was 8 my mother gave me two boxes of those nasty ass peeps for easter and I ate all of it and vommited up pink crap for two hours. I haven't been able to eat marshmellows or even say the word since. just writing it was hard.

Also the word 'puss', like oozing from an open wound, makes me nauseated.

I most of mine have been mentioned......WaRshington, irregardless, I seen.....

My husband and his family will say "piney" when they mean to say peony. Where the heck did PINEY come from?

People around here will also say "I done." as in "I done went to that movie already." Grrrr......makes my skin crawl.