Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have weight problems as a child?

I was not overweight as a child. In high school I gained about 15 - 20 pounds but I lost it before I graduated.

I remember the first time I was called fat, I was 5 years old. It was by my older sister. She went on to tease and call me fat for years and I was oh so certain that she was right. When I look back on picture from my youth, it's clear I was not "fat" (although I wasn't as thin as my siblings) but I absolutely was mentally fat from the time I was 5, and physically I was larger than my peers.

I suppose my current body is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

(Hi, I'm new.)

I've dealt with it most of my life......from about the age of 9 or 10.....

in high school I was "chubby".......

I went on weight watchers for the first time when I was 12 or 13......

Not me. My weight problems didn't start until I was 20 when I had my first child and was in a bad relationship. food became my friend :smile2:

I was a scrawny child. A thin, willowy teen, and at 5'9" returned from giving birth at 123 pounds. I maintained being thin, until an abusive marriage took control of my mind. I purposely packed on over 75 pounds, then could not stop--I found comfort---something I had not felt since back in the day when I was thin.

Then I married my current DH and quit gaining, and was actually able to lose---but never to maintain. Finally found out about the band, and feel like my life is truly mine again-----thank goodness!!!

Having been on both sides, and indeed both extremes, skinny to morbidly obese---neither one was the answer! I know simply being thin again will not make me happy. But by the same token, even being happy in my life, was not enough when I was so unhappy with my weight. I look forward to the new experience of both at one time!!!

Kat

I thought I was fat my entire life ... well from about 8 or 9 years old on.

But I recently plugged my numbers from when I went on my first diet into a children's BMI calculator and they put me in the heathy range. Plus my next youngest sister was my size even though younger but she never got the fat label.

Families can be weird the way they label people and the labels don't even have to match reality.

I started getting really chubby in middle school. I lost about 60 pounds in my jr. year of high school on weight watchers, but gained it again my senior year. It's kinda been all downhill from there. Just kept putting on weight. Every now and then I lose 20lbs here and there, but I always gain it back plus some.

I have been overweight all my life... The smallest I remember being from my teenage years to now is a 14-16. I used to get teased as a child, they used to call me Whopper. I hated riding the school bus, gym class, it wasn't fun. I am now at a size 16 and am gladly throwing all the old clothes away because I will NEVER need them again!

yup....grew very quickly (Was 5ft at age 8 and 6ft by 12)...always felt like the fatest person...was I overweight???yes...fat???not a chance in hell...

but I was always the fat person in my family.

not for long!

Rain

My first instinct is to say yes because in primary school I was teased for being fat, I was called "Fat Nash".

But looking back, I actually was not fat at all, far from it, but I was very tall, often the tallest in any group - class, softball team etc. And I wasnt skinny, but definitely not even overweight.

By mid teens I *just* broke into the overweight for my heigh category, with a BMI of around 26. Again, nothing serious, but when most 15 year old girls are stick thin and either underweight or very low in their healthy weight ranges, I stood out. This was 25 years ago, these days with the size of teenagers, I'd actually be one of the thinner ones in a lot of groups.

In my 20's I wasnt fat at all, I got down to about the weight I am now.

Looking back, I always had a little bit of chub, nothing major, but (and my 12 year old son is there) you could always see the potential I had to become obese. I'm quite fine boned but I just dont have that firm, muscular look even though I'm fit, I was always a bit fleshy and prone to gaining.

I was never overweight as a child, teen or even as a young mum. I can remember crying my eyes out when I hit a whopping 60kg (132lb) at around 22 (daughter was 3 at that time), and promptly took diet pills to get down to 55kg again. I started gaining my weight in my late 20's, when in an abusive marriage, but didn't really balloon up until I got out of it at 30. I went on a 4 year binge, putting on the fat suit, and since then have struggled trying to take it off by losing some, regaining more and generally just getting fatter. 15 years after getting out of the marriage, I am finally taking the last steps to repair the damage it did.

I was underweight until I hit about 9, ironically I did not even like food that much and there was always a struggle to make me eat. My parents got divorced when I hit 9ish and I was sent of to boarding school. I gained weight steadily then, food turned into my new best friend as I was terribly lost and lonely. I got steadily bigger until I hit about 12 where I was sent to live with an aunt who refused to cook for me and therefore was only eating the one meal I got for free at school. I lost a fair amount of weight then went to live with my Dad who let me eat whatever I wanted as long as I left him alone. I steadily gained again despite being quite an active teenager. When I hit 19 I found a private diet clinic who would prescribe slimming pills which were amphetamine based and became addicted to them. Since quitting those I have steadily gained until today I weigh aprox 280lbs.

Not me, I was super thin as a child. Then a normal sized teenager. Moderately sized young adult. Then I had a baby and it's been downhill ever since. Even though I've taken the baby weight off, it's always come back and more.