Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet starts tomorrow.....

...and I have to say I'm a little nervous. I only have to do it for 10 days but geesh, if this was going to be easy, I wouldn't be fat in the first place!! :lol: I feel very confident that I won't mess it up or cheat, it's my nature and strong will to follow through. I'm just a little nervous though. I know hunger isn't going to kill me but it does make me uneasy, like many of you - food is a comfort to me. Well...here goes the security blanket! Wish me well.

i'm sure u will do fine. I have been waiting on them to give me the "call" to tell me to start the pre-op diet... Hell i better not stray away or cheat I would prob. kick my own butt...lol..

I'm scared also. I know you'll do fine because you want it bad enough. Me too. I just don't look forward to trying to find a protien that taste good and actually make me feel full. Should be interesting. Let me know what your doing for your diet. I'd like to know what works.

Good Luck!

hi guys - don't be scared. i was as well, and pearly girl makes a point that i once made -- if we were so in control of what we eat, we wouldn't be getting the surgery. be creative in what you make -- i lived on Water, ensure, Soups, and yogurt & fruit smoothies.

another thing that might help you through it is that you can't think of this like the end of eating. when i was on my liquid diet, and on the days before i started it, i felt like... oh my god, this is it.. i had better eat everything i want to before the surgery... but you'll get to eat stuff after the surgery. the only thing i'd say to get in if you're really in love with it are big bready things and maybe some sticky rice dishes. though, before your first fill, you'll probably be able to eat a lot with no problem. everyone is different.

good luck!

If I can do it, anyone can! Believe me, I had the exact same fears...and here I am one week post-op, and still on liquids -- doing just fine.

Believe me, you can do it. I know you'll do great!

You guys are wonderful!!! So far so good, it's only 2pm though. I had a shake this morning before church...we went to my parent's house after church and they had egg bake, toast and strawberries...I sat with them but had my chicken broth. About an hour ago I was so hungry and telling myself "some people can have 3 oz of chicken or fish...maybe I can too" I quickly pushed that thought out, had two tablespoons of thinned cream of wheat(which is on my prescribed diet) and am feeling MUCH better now. Well, 1/2 day down... 9 1/2 to go!

You can do it!! Try not to think of it as what you are doing without. Think of it in terms of what you are working for. Good luck!!

okay, my surgery is this Tuesday. My doctor put me on the "liquid" diet starting yesterday (Saturday) and I'm going nuts. I cheated last night and had a salad at Olive Garden. As so many of you have said, if I were stronger I wouldn't necessarly be in this position! The point to this is I see that several of you are on the liquid and can have ensure, smoothies, cream of wheat and the like... my doctor said if I cannot see through it and drink it through a straw I cannot have it!!

My surgery date is April 29th. I am required to do 2 weeks of Medifast (which includes shakes, Soups, oatmeal, and bars (only One Bar per day). You have 5 or 6 Medifast meals per day - nothing else except broth or boullion, sf popsicles, or sf flavored waters. I am starting tomorrow (1 day early) so that I have a one day buffer if needed. I do know that I am strong enough to do this without cheating, but I'm sure I will be hungry in the beginning. So I thought if I REALLY FEEL like I need some extra Protein or something that first day, I can have a bit of tuna or a piece of cheese on the first day, then hopefully by the next day - my first official day - I will be able to stick to the plan without adding anything. At least that's my hope!

I know this won't be easy, but we really are doing this for our own good, so the surgery goes smoother and with less risk and our recovery is easier. We can do this, with each other's help! :biggrin:

Lisa

Can anyone tell me the purpose of 2 weeks liquid. Started on the 9th day of april. 23 april is the surgery. This is tough.

The reason for this liquid diet is to shrink the liver. They want it small to they can move around it, but some people can't get it small enough before surgery,that's why they put us on liquids and nothing else. At fist I just didn't understand why you have to go on a diet before you diet, but that's why. Hope this helps?? Take care!

Kristy

Well, I made it! I did mess up a little. When I was feeding my toddler dinner I just popped a piece of broccoli in my mouth and down the hatch. I wasn't hungry at the moment and didn't think about it either...just popped it right in like I normally would. I think the calories in a bite of broccoli is like 3-5 so I'm not too upset about it but it is strange to see how I just eat and don't even realize it.