Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one know i have had lapbanding

I have been lapbanded,since sep 2008, havent told anyone, what will i do and say when going out to Sizzlers? eat the sensible things I know. How do other people cope when only smorgus board and you cant order what you normally do a small salad or Soup etc??:biggrin:

I have noticed that people just don't care. I am in the same boat as you and when I go out to eat I just order food that is the most "diet" friendly and eat as normal. No one asks, it is weird. I have had people say, wow you look great and I reply that I started eating less and moving more and it seems to be working. Try that one!!

I agree most people don't notice they just think I am on a diet its spring time everyone is on a diet.lol:drool:

I have been lapbanded,since sep 2008, havent told anyone, what will i do and say when going out to Sizzlers? eat the sensible things I know. How do other people cope when only smorgus board and you cant order what you normally do a small salad or Soup etc??:biggrin:

Where in the hell do u live that still have a sizzler...lol... wow..

Just fill up your plate and throw some food under the table when no one is looking! Just kidding. There are a million things you could do in this situation.

1.you can say you had a late lunch

2.you can fake being sick and not eat or as much

3.you can say you saw this report on the news that buffet food is germ laden food that causes food poisioning and you decided you never want to go again

4.you can say you are on a diet because you need to fit into this dress

5.you can not go:blink:

You can order an appetizer or salad with grilled chicken or Soup. I doubt anyone will really notice anything. If they mention it, just say you had a late lunch if it's dinner time or a late b'fast if you're going out for lunch.

No one cares what anyone else is eating (unless it looks super yum, and you wished you had ordered it) but when we went to Sizzlers just the other night, I ate salad and fruit. No one cared that I didn't go back for 70 more plates, and no one asked any questions. I did sort of begrudge paying $18 for a lifeless salad and an apple, but what can you do, right? We had a horde of kids with us, and it was the best option (better than McD's anyway). Usually I avoid that place, and most like them, like the plague because the food is substandard.

To answer the question of where Slimmy lives that still has a Sizzler... The same place as me. Australia.

Thank you for all the advice, and yes i am in Australia. Chickie you look great! I like all the ideas. And as a general comment if someone asks is great, eating less and moving more -- actually that is what i am in theory doing. Thanks hope all you are doing real real well too.

I wish I knew all these people you guys talk about that "dont care" about what you're eating....

I swear..every single time I go out to eat, or eat at someones house, and they see my small portions they all freak out..."Whaaaaa??? is that all you're going to eattttt???" blah blah friggity blah.

I havent told anyone but my Parents and My husband, so it's tough...But I do make the excuse a lot of..."im just not that hungry" and that seems to shut them up. :biggrin: Good luck !

I wish I knew all these people you guys talk about that "dont care" about what you're eating....

I swear..every single time I go out to eat, or eat at someones house, and they see my small portions they all freak out..."Whaaaaa??? is that all you're going to eattttt???" blah blah friggity blah.

I havent told anyone but my Parents and My husband, so it's tough...But I do make the excuse a lot of..."im just not that hungry" and that seems to shut them up. :biggrin: Good luck !

Yep will do tell them i am not hungry, have been eating sensibly and moving more.

i think being frank with your close friend is the best solution, i faced that problem first and then i told all my close friend, and they actually supported me through the whole way, but taking care of what food they order when i am around or when we go out they started to go to place where they offer salads and veggie food so i can eat.

So i hope you can find understanding and good friends like mine...

I have my own business and work in the field of Clinical Trials for cancer. I routinely take doctors and their staff out to lunch/dinners. I have told them ALL (also my friends) about the surgery and they have been nothing but supportive. None of them have been judgmental and they have given me more encouragement than I ever could have imagined.

Sure, I may run into someone that thinks that this is the "easy way out"... but to be truthful.. before I knew what the lapband was all about, I thought the same thing. How can I judge them for having the same thoughts as I once did?

All in all, I can't imagine doing this "in the dark". My support system has been incredible and I really don't know what I would do without them.

Put your faith in those around you and they will feel your faith and confidence. Doubt them and they will feel your doubts. You have made an incredible commitment by choosing the lapband. You DESERVE to have people respect you for it!

All my best to you on your lapband journey!

It's true, I find people only pay attention to what I eat if they are jealous and wished they ordered it. That's not the case if I can only manage Soup that day. Never had someone ask me why I'm not eating a lot. It's not like we were/are skinny people, that they're going to be shocked that you could possibly be dieting.

Don't worry :biggrin:)