Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, Got to get healthy! Welcome to the May banders. My surgery is May 12th. My doc has a pretty extensive pre op program to teach us how to do the work before surgery. We have to go on a Protein Shake diet for 10 days before surgery. They told us that it helps the dr if we can help make our internal organs a little smaller before hand. It also prepares us for how we will be eating after surgery for the first 7-10 days. I don't think it is so much how much you loose just that you can lose a little and not go hog wild eating just because you are having surgery. I did a little of that before I started my fast. I kind of said good bye to pizza and ice cream. LOL I know that eventually I will be able to have some of my old foods back but in very small amounts and just for special occasions. Since our stomachs will be very small we need to concentrate on getting good Protein and healthy veggies. Buy yourself some good Protein Powder that has at least 20 gms of protein per scoop and try substituting a meal or two with thoes. Others are saying that they can have cottage cheese and lowfat yogurt and lean chicken. Cruise around the website and you will get all kinds of helpful advise. Good luck and best wishes to you. Becky

I'm not from Kansas but I wish you all the best!! WOO HOO

Hi everyone! I have been following a eating regimine that includes at least 1 Protein Shake for breakfast...I like to make my own in the blender..then lean and green the other times I eat...I also have a cuple of servings of fresh fruit a day..

Another good rule..especially if you are diabetic like I am...

Balance a carb with protein... so, an apple and a slice of lowfat cheese or a tsp of peanut butter...or a glass of skim milk..in other words do not eat a carb alone!

Good Luck everyone!!

Got my insurance all squared away, and set for May 28th. Took 5 Months. Can't wait. Tired of being heavy

Congrats!!! That's my date too!

Hey Coltorismom how are you feeling since your surgery and how are you doing in general. I am just a little over a week before my surgery and I am getting very excited and a little anxious. Want to hear about anyone who has just gone through it.

Hey Californiamarty, I'm from Chico Ca, and I am having my lap band on May 12th by Dr Ludwig. Best wishes to you

Thanks for the tip. Have you been able to cut back on your meds, or are you on insulin? My Dr told me to keep a close eye on my suger and start cutting out the larger pills first. Keep up the good work, and thanks again for the info.

Hi welcome to the club, I think if your not nervous before a surgery something is wrong with you! I am being banded in 10 days! I am so excited and nervous. Good luck to you. I have also found reading all these posts has been so helpful!! It's nice to be part of a club where everyone understands you.......

Hey got2gethealthy,

Congradulations on taking a giant step toward better health.

To answer your question, surgeons specificly want you to reduce your liver size. Since the stomach lies behind the liver they have to move your

liver to get the band around the top of your stomach. IT REDUCES YOUR

RISK OF COMPLICATIONS. How do you do this? My nutritionist had me go on a no fat, no sugar high Protein diet several weeks before surgery, but when I met my surgeon he had me fast on high Protein Drinks for 10 days before surgery and about 3 weeks after surgery. Let me give you a hint, the higher protein content in the drink, the less hungry you will be.

I will help you with any experience I picked up along the way.

Good Luck.

Bob

Hi Bob, I am on day 3 of my Protein fast and it is getting easier. I am trying different protein powders to find the one I like the best. Do you have any recommendations. I get sick of the sweetness so I have been having some ff chicken broth with added no flavor protein powder just for a variety.