Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Banders I met online Discouraged me :(

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi...I am awaiting approval for my surgery, that's where I'm at.

I'm a healthy person who knows how to live healthy, and now I am ready to commit permanently with my LapBand.

Recently, I've met a lot of people online that are very upset about their low losses. I've sat back and watched what others ask, and it seems they aren't changing their diets or even exercising.

I know my LapBand experience is going to be different....But I can't help but hear their cries that "they are trying and it's just not working!" I met a woman today who has lost TWELVE pounds since her surgery ten weeks ago.

Anyone ever meet people like this, and how do you feel about it, and how do you feel about your LapBand experience? Thanks for listening...

Guest BikiniBeachy

Really Quickly, before anyone responds...I felt kinda guilty after I posted that. I hope I didn't sound rude or like I was judging anyone for not being able to stick to their diet.

I'm trying to find the right way to phrase how I am feeling. Maybe, has anyone felt that some people got the band that weren't ready to commit and aren't accepting personal responsibility?

Sigh...I can't seem to express how I'm feeling about this, I just want to make VERY sure I do not offend anyone, or at least try my hardest not to..

No, dont worry, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The band is a great tool but only for people who are ready to really commit to a change in lifestyle. For true binge eaters, bulimics etc it can be a very difficult tool to manage, and for people who really dont understand what they should be doing to lose weight and keep it off for good, its not a great tool either. It makes you lose weight simply because you eat less but that only takes you so far.

IF you are ready to really commit to sensible diet and exercise and understand that it will still involve hard hard work, blood, sweat and tears, then its for you.

But nor do you need to be perfect! Basically I find the band works in such a way that I have to do what I always had to do to lose weight. But my motivation can wane, the detail can slip and I maintain, I dont gain. Then I can get going again for another spell, eat perfectly, exercise just weight and there goes more weight. Then I'd maintain for a while.

I'm great at maintenance, suck at dieting, lol. I can eat well and exercise but I'm not much on calorie counting, food tracking, etc. So I had slowish loss but I got there - about 120% of my excess weight is gone now.

Guest BikiniBeachy

YOU are an inspiration, and thanks for being real...I could only hope to be as successful as you.

Hello-I was banded on 1/31/08. I have lost 30 lbs. I think the key to losing weight with the band is to know that the band, alone, will not be enough. You must commit to going for frequent fills, etc. I have had 3 fills and am not there yet! I go today for my 4th fill and each time, I know we are getting closer. I can eat too much if I want to. Sometimes, it can be depressing, because of course, I was NEVER going to mess up after my banding. I did-a couple of times-and I was able to eat a lot more than I should have... but less than I used to!

I know people who were banded and just kind of gave up. They don't go for fills and follow ups. You cannot succeed on this without being consistent about the fills after the surgery. I hope to be in the "zone" soon and getting full faster. Until then, I MUST try to stay on program.

I don't regret doing it at all.

You get what you pay for... not this time.

You get out, what you put in... totally!

I follow all the rules some of the time,

and most of the rules most of the time.

I am successful one day, and one choice, at a time.

I used to be a failure all day, every day.

Good luck and great health to all!!!!

Yes, you are correct. You have to make the choice to make it work for you. There is risk of no results with any diet, weight loss surgery, etc.

Those who do not have success know truly in their hearts if they are giving it their all or not.

You get what you pay for... not this time.

You get out, what you put in... totally!

I follow all the rules some of the time,

and most of the rules most of the time.

I am successful one day, and one choice, at a time.

I used to be a failure all day, every day.

Good luck and great health to all!!!!

Beautifully and succinctly put!

I'm doing fairly well but I have days I slip. Trying not to beat myself up but instead, to just get back to the business of the band.

I hardly lost any weight until my 3rd fill Oct 07. That certainly did the trick! I have lost 9 lbs this week :purplebananna: alone and it's not cause I'm starving myself either! I'm holding my breath though cause I know I'll plateau here soon but I'm enjoying the ride while I can!

My goal is to be under 200 by the 4th of July and I think I have a darn good shot at it! This is the first goal I have ever set for myself other than my goal weight!

I think the band is an awesome tool but you have to have the fills or it isn't going to work!

Good luck!

Kel

Guest BikiniBeachy

Yes, you are correct. You have to make the choice to make it work for you. There is risk of no results with any diet, weight loss surgery, etc.

Those who do not have success know truly in their hearts if they are giving it their all or not.

You are so completely right here...How wonderfully put. If I know I am going to commit and I accepted there is no magic pill years ago that will allow me to eat the way I did to gain the weight and look and feel great, and I know I will commit, then I will be successful...the part about knowing in your heart, how true. When that's all said and done, I suppose it doesn't really matter what other people do with their LapBand if you are feeling good about your own choices!

Thanks!

The joys and pains of a web forum are the same. You get wonderful inspiration and support, but you can also feel really bad about yourself (or your decisions, or about your progress) when you compare yourself to others. You tend to get the wildly successful and wildly unsuccessful people posting, which can leave you with a less than balanced view of the band. I thought Mazie said it all very well.

Good luck :Dancing_wub:

I worry about this exact thing as I move toward being banded. People like Jachut and others have been a huge inspiration to me... not because they've lost weight, but HOW they've done it, and how they do not make excuses for themselves, but hold themselves accountable.

In a way, I'm glad that I will have to go through a 6-month monitored diet before I can seek insurance approval. I really want to use that period to make the lifestyle changes that will be necessary for me to take full advantage of the band.

It's really been said by the other posters - you get out of the band what you put in - eating healthy & exercising - that is the whole secret to losing weight - the band is a great tool in making it easier - once you get proper restriction - but in the mean time just cuz you can eat 2 slices of pizza why?? I went thru major surgery to get the tool to help me with my Portion Control - but I wasn't eating pizza 3 days out - Don't get me wrong I will have a slice of pizza once every 3 months but I hold my success so far to eating healthy 98% of the time and allowing treats 2% of the time - once you get in the groove - you really don't miss that junk much - do I miss eating large amounts of food - ya sometimes - but I love the way I look and feel -

Don't let the other discourage you - this is an individual issue - We have an addiction - just like any other addiction therapy - some succeed and some fail - The ball is in your court - and if you are as determined as you sound you will do just fine.

like others have said, the band is a tool, not a cure all...

you have to work with the tool and let it HELP you, not do all the work.

eating right 95% of the time and working out as much as possible, that will help.

good luck

You have to be realistic when it comes to the lapband. 1-2 lbs a week is the norm. That being said if you keep your calories low and exercise you can lose more quickly. Good luck in your journey.