Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill coming up...scared

HI...I am supposed to get my first fill in the next few days (4 weeks post-op) i am soooo scared. 1) I am scared of the pain? (2) scared that something might go wrong (3) scared that my life will dramatically change...i am eating small amoutns now and have lost 22 pounds in 4 weeks. Please someone help.

HI...I am supposed to get my first fill in the next few days (4 weeks post-op) i am soooo scared. 1) I am scared of the pain? (2) scared that something might go wrong (3) scared that my life will dramatically change...i am eating small amoutns now and have lost 22 pounds in 4 weeks. Please someone help.

There's need need to fear. I have had my second fill recently and it really didn't hurt at all. A bee sting perhaps describes it best. The best attitude will carry you through this. You are doing really good and if you just get 2 or three cc's (or even less) it will be routine. Keep making good food choices and chew your food into mush and you'll do great. I'm proud of you and keep going...it's so worth it.:tt1:

I'm not scared at all of my first fill...coming May 6....I can't wait! I feel like I can eat too much right now. I like the fact that I will be able to eat so little and be busting full......

You probably don't need a fill if you have lost 22 pounds in 4 weeks and are eating small amounts. Your doctor probably won't even do it because you don't need it.

When you DO need a fill, you don't need to be so scared, it really isn't bad. You have had injections before and that is basically what it feels like. I was scared too, before my first fill, but it was boringly uneventful.

kbinaz...i haven't lost in the past week...i lost the 22 the first three weeks. and i feel that i am eating a lot lately though much less than before and kind of feelig hungry.

Question....after the fill...will it hurt again??? like in a hour? a day? will i not be able to eat for a few days? or feel bad for a few days? thanks everyone? I am pmsing should i wait until after?

The PA who does my fills uses "cold spray" to numb the area first....no pain from the needle at all. I've had two fills and still feel like I need another one b/c I'm starving! It's by will power that I haven't over done it on foods....well...before this 2nd fill anyway.

After the fill....you will stay on liquids for 24-48 hours (possibly)...I did, anyway. I still have a 1/2 case of Optifast shakes, so that is what I am using right now. I've gone a bit further with my liquids and have just completed 3 straight days of Optifast after this 2nd fill. The scales are MOVING!! I'm so happy! I will stay on the shakes for another full day and then ease back with mushies for a couple days....

best of luck...you will do great!

No need to worry, my friend. I just had my first fill 2 days ago. My port was tipped so the doctor had to try several times to hit it in just the right way so that he could do the fill. The pain was minimal, at worst... I feel a slight bruised feeling at my port, but nothing else.

You'll be fine. You made it through the surgery. The fills are a cakewalk!

Keep on keeping on. You're doing great!

i was scared for my first fill - but it could not have been more uneventful. there was no pain except for a minor prick...i have some restriction but i'm going back for a second fill tomorrow - it's really not as bad as i thought it would be.

bibo07-you should be really careful after the fill- my doctor has me go on liquids for 3 days, but I am never able to last that long! I do Clear Liquids the first day, then switch to mushy food like cottage cheese and yogurt. You just have to be careful because you can swell after a fill and you don't want to damage anything. I swell quite a bit and feel a lot of restriction for the first 5 days or so, then it settles down and I can eat normally again. Everyone is different so just take it slowly and cautiously. It will be fine. It shouldn't hurt at all. If you are overfilled it might be uncomfortable to eat and if that lasts after the first week you should get an unfill. Hopefully, though, your doctor will fill you gradually enough that overfilling won't be a problem. That is why most doctors are pretty conservative with fills. I have had almost all my fills while pms'ing, so I don't think it is an issue. I am usually looser during that time then get tight when my period comes. Anyway, good luck with your fill and don't stress out, it really is not bad and it is getting you toward your weight loss goals!

First of all don't be scared of the pain. It is not even as bad as a bee sting. As far as being afraid of not being able to eat, I would suggest talking to your doctor about that. Every time I get a fill, my surgeon questions me about what I can eat. From what I can tell he uses my answers to decide how much a fill I need.

Again, its no big deal, I too was freaking out prior to my first fill. I think I was more nervous about that than the surgery, but again, no bigee!

Thanks everyone. Will let you know how it went in a few hours. I called my dr this morning to ask him some questions because he doesn't spend too much time wiht me when i am at his office. He said i could eat normally after a fill but he said the he would fill me 5cc....doesn't that sound like a lot...i don't know. Will keep you guys updated!!!!!!!!!!

No...5 cc's is great! You will feel restriction, which is the whole point of having the band. I would NOT eat normally after your fill for 24 hours. Stick to liquids today and then mushies tomorrow...then ease back to normal food on day 3. This is when you MUST slow down when you eat, and chew,chew,chew.... It will be a great starting point for you!! The first fill (also 5 cc's) helped me starting moving the scale again. I just had my 2nd fill last Thursday...an additional 1 cc...for a total of 6 cc's. The scale is moving again and I'm thrilled! Best of luck...it will be fine.

Your post sounds so much like one I posted last week that I even thought it was mine at first. I had my first fill last Tuesday and was pretty concerned. Turns out it was a piece of cake. Very, very tiny stick from the needle they used to numb me and then just weird feelings. When he inserted into the port the first time it startled me cause I could feel it pop thru the rubber - didn't hurt just felt freaky. Afterwards I was put on full liquids for 24 to 48 hours. I started pureed the next day and worked up to whole foods by dinner. I wanted to take it real slow cause I had felt very tight right after the fill and kinda nauseous. I think that was just nerves though. I didn't think he would do a fill since I was losing weight well and felt full most of the time but he did fill it and he was right to do it. Good luck and try not to worry. You'll be laughing about it in a couple hours.

I just had my first fill last week and I was the same as you worried about all the crazy stuff that could go wrong. It was so no big deal. I too had last about 20 pounds before the fill. Don't allow your mind to make it bigger. I know the band is there now. But you will be just fine.

Hi I had my first fill one week ago today. I was nervous, scared, excited! You name it, I felt it! It was NOTHING! The only thing I felt was this funny sensation when the Fluid traveled thru the tube. But hurt???? nO WAY! and they numbed me first then did the solution! It was a piece of cake!! So don't be nervous!