Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We ready for a Black President?

Are we ready for a Black President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are we ready for a Black President?

• Yes
    • No

Oh God.... I said I wouldn't be dragged back into this but here I am...

Watcher, I thought you were intelligent enough not to believe every soundbite taken out of context. My recollection of that town hall meeting was that while he didn't disagree with her comments, he believed an all volunteer military was superior and had no plans to implement a draft.

Many liberals on the other hand have been calling for the implementation of a draft because they believe the only way to end an unpopular war is to scare people into taking action. They may have a point, but McCain did not support implementing a draft and has no plans to do so.

ouch... well welcome to the debate... its not just a sound bite these and the policy that is real and that old lady at that rally is right most or my family has been or in in the military and they cant if things remain this way for long there will have no choice... and some of those interviews i saw when broadcast and i said it back then the fact is that even bush toyed with enacting the draft... i just for the sake of saying it ... i am still prety intelligent. I love how people are quick to shoot down my ideas and my theories and say that im misinformed or unintelligent yet when i find it i post my reaseaarch people skip it or just pretend i said nothing... have you read the whole tread... i understand being passionate about your position cmon we all have to worry about what we say comming back to bite us on the ass. Mccain just has enough for you me and everyone else on this server... you can all it a sound bite a video clip or what ever you want to call it but it is more that that and weather you want to admit is anouther question. i am not a liberal i am a independent the only reason i registed demacrat was to help out Barrack .... its easy for someonw who wouldnt be eligable for the draft to say oh its just a sound bite ... i dont have that luxury i will be on the first thing smoking to the middle east.

and please support your many liberals support the draft i wanna read that one for my self. and dont find one fringe idiot .... you said many!

...and what part of "spread the wealth" stops just at our borders?

If we don't control who comes in, under what conditions, and give illegals all various social benefits, we've already lost touch with reality.

And what really is the difference between 'the draft', which we had for most of the 20th century, and Sen Obama's plan for mandatory civil service?

IF we are 'part of the global community', then the global community can anticipate WE have certain rights as well. One of those rights, is our perception of 'national defense'.

Unless it's better to let the rest of the world vote on it for us.

wow and the spinning just keeps on going doesn't it... no one has yet talked about spreading the wealth outside our borders.... and trust the last 8 republican years has sent more money outside of our borders that ever before

so jack.... no sir i font buy it ......

So who's gonna google and get us the info to back up Jack's claim that Senator Obama wants the draft?

And Jack, I know you don't ever claim to be a conservative Republican, but do you know how much money this ultra-conservative Republican administration has given - American taxpayer dollars - to the "government" in Iraq? I believe I heard that they are sitting on something like $70B of American taxpayer dollars. And we know what the actual war is costing us - not only in monetary terms, which is astronomical - but also in American lives. Are you trying to tell me that employing someone to make a box to ship back the bodies in, somehow justifies the money we're spending on this war?

I do know that the hardware that we're paying for in this war certainly does provide jobs for not only the military, but also for American workers here at home. It was the same in Vietnam. But when people finally realized what a horrible price we were paying for the war in Vietnam, they got us the hell out.

Once McCain learned how anti Iraq war that mainstream America is, he stopped saying he thought we might be there for many more years and now he's saying he'll bring our troops home. He's been as stubborn on the war as George W. Bush has. Who knows, maybe General Powell's remarks helped him out a little on this.

And about Acorn, I'd like to know exactly where those of you who think that Acorn is a horrible organization got your information? You obviously heard all of the accusations and negative-speak about it, but have you ever once stopped to find out the truth of what their goals are? Do you have something against getting as many qualified Americans registered to vote as there are qualified Americans?

I just voted for Obama. I am a permanent absentee voter because I travel for work and never know if I will be in town during an election. Usually I vote earlier and mail my ballot in. This year I am so excited I made sure I am in town and will be taking my ballot in myself. I wish today were election day!

And about Acorn, I'd like to know exactly where those of you who think that Acorn is a horrible organization got your information? You obviously heard all of the accusations and negative-speak about it, but have you ever once stopped to find out the truth of what their goals are? Do you have something against getting as many qualified Americans registered to vote as there are qualified Americans?

If someone can't figure out on their own how to register to vote, then IMHO they shouldn't be qualified to vote.

REALLY TINA Because he's black! OMG if you don't like his politics that's one thing but the question is are we ready for a black president and you say thumbs down? He is half white if that makes you feel better. I can't believe there are still people like you in this world!

I'm not sure I can answer that. I don't care if our president is black, purple, yellow, or polka-dotted. I think we're ready for a good, competent president. If that person happens to be black, so be it.

I completely agree with you on this. I don't see how race really should even be considered in any election. If the candidate is shown to be a good leader and is shown to be someone looking out for what is best for our country then that is who I am voting for. Skin color, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, or the person sex should not be a consideration at all.

How can we preach in our daily lives these same morality issues with tolerance and crossing boundaries to accept and work side by side with others that our different from ourselves and then not do the same in voting for a president?

Jack I just readjusted my reading glasses and see that what you were doing was sarcastically comparing Senator Obama's suggestion that our young people serve our country in some way in order to get a tuition break, being no different than the draft.

But turn up your hearing aid dude, he hasn't suggested "mandatory" service.

Have you only checked part of his record, as per your "performance" comment? Because so far he has been one of the most effective Senators we have.

All the trash talk that the Republicans have done to besmerch Senator Obama's religious faith, criticize his desire to move forward in this country in a direction that will engage citizens instead of disenfranchising them, make changes in how we handle the economy so that the wealthiest in the country are not rewarded with exorbitent tax cuts, the insurance companies are not able to take us to the cleaners and control our health care system any longer, and for the Republicans to even say outrageous things about the people he knows and is friends with... is absolutely obsene, dishonest campaigning. Par for the course maybe, but good grief I hope you don't believe all that! I know some of you have bought it hook, line and sinker.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you don't believe anyone can possibly be a good politician because all politicians are bad. Just like the broad statement the government is bad. Wake up people. Government is necessary. Politicians are necessary. Ctiticism can be a good thing. It can help us find ways of improving this country. Unless all you do is criticize and offer no real solutions. That's a waste of time.

If you don't like one party's politics, you can just say you don't like their plan. But in this contest, there's only one candidate who is being truthful about his plan for the country. Only one man who has spent most of this race outlining exactly what he proposes to help get our nation strong again. That's Senator Obama.

McCain has slung mud for the majority of this race and has been less than thruthful about his plans for change. He tells us that he wants change. He tells us that he's a maverick and doesn't like his party's policies. But he doesn't spend his time explaining his plan in detail.

What he does say is that his theory of rewarding the wealthy will eventually help middle America but he doesn't explain how in the world that will happen. Because the "performance" we have seen for the past 8 years, the "performance" McCain has shown us and is promising to continue, is giving the real tax breaks to the wealthiest in America. Not only has that Republican ideology not helped middle America by providing the jobs he promises, it has nearly brought down the collapse of our entire economy.

So if that talk does it for you - and that kind of performance is what you base your vote on, then Senator Obama is definitely not for you.

Now, It is time to post Senator Obama’s record from the Library of Congress.I have to mention that Senator Obama’s list is too substantive, one is coalesced to categorize. Since its a lot, remember you can go to the Library of Congress website, and check it out yourself, but I am just summarizing his first 8 months.

During Senator Obama’s first 8 eight months of elected service he sponsored over 820 bills.

He introduced 233 bills regarding healthcare reform,

125 bills on poverty and public assistance,

112 bills on crime fighting,

97 economic bills,

60 human rights and anti-discrimination bills,

21 ethics reform bills,

15 gun control,

6 veterans affairs and many others.

In his first year in the U.S. Senate, he authored 152 bills and co-sponsored another 427. These included:

(1)the Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 that became LAW,

(2)The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act that became LAW, (3)The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act that passed the Senate,

(4)The 2007 Government Ethics Bill that became LAW,

(5)The Protection Against Excessive Executive Compensation Bill that is in committee just to name a few.

In all since he entered the U.S. Senate, Senator Obama has written 890 bills and co-sponsored another 1096. An impressive record, for someone who supposedly has no legislative record. Read the facts and not emotion.

BJean: re: "So who's gonna google and get us the info to back up Jack's claim that Senator Obama wants the draft?"

You better get your reading glasses checked. No where had I ever considered that concept.

It was me BJean and Jack that said that and I didn't get it from the internet, I got it from watching "Meet the Press" "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" "Real Time with Bill Maher".

But if you MUST have your internet fix, check out these Left leaning organization's links:

CNN.com - Rangel introduces bill to reinstate draft - Jan. 8, 2003

Rep. Rangel Will Seek to Reinstate Draft - washingtonpost.com

Yes, I said CNN and the Washington Post are overrun by left wing liberals.

It was me BJean and Jack that said that and I didn't get it from the internet, I got it from watching "Meet the Press" "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" "Real Time with Bill Maher".

But if you MUST have your internet fix, check out these Left leaning organization's links:

CNN.com - Rangel introduces bill to reinstate draft - Jan. 8, 2003

Rep. Rangel Will Seek to Reinstate Draft - washingtonpost.com

Yes, I said CNN and the Washington Post are overrun by left wing liberals.

neither one mentions anything about Obama so how is it that this is proof to Obamas want of the draft?... or are you trying to guilt him by association.

you guys seem to be grasping at straws here... so there is (a) liberal who wants the draft ... hes not the candidate .... try again

I didn't say Obama wanted to reinstate the draft.. When did I say that? I said it was not McCain who said he wanted to reinstate the draft, but a liberal who wanted to reinstate the draft in order to scare people into action against the Iraq war.

BTW, I'm not a guy and don't appreciate being lumped into that category or any other category for your convenience in "labeling" me.