Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweetener Poll

What are your favorite sweeteners? I am looking for one for iced tea and hot coffees. Need something that doesn't taste bitter - like the real thing but not. :thumbup:

Sugar/Splenda blend

I used to buy it that way in their bag but found a 5lb bag of sugar and a normal bag of splenda...I can mix it myself for cheaper.

For baking I use their brown sugar, however, some recipes it doesn't work as you are looking for 'quantity' of sugar and w/ the splenda brown sugar you use half...so the consistancy isn't right.

I use Splenda. Well.........actually Altern. That's Walmarts version of splenda, it has the same ingredients and cost less. I don't use artificial sweeteners a lot, but if I'm having tea, that's what I add.

Hey, is that altern good? Well, I'm sure it is if you use it!

But does it have a different taste than Splenda or is it processed the same way Splenda does and Walmart is now doing it?

Hey, is that altern good? Well, I'm sure it is if you use it!

But does it have a different taste than Splenda or is it processed the same way Splenda does and Walmart is now doing it?

It taste good to me. I can't tell a difference in the taste of them. But then again, I've been using the Altern for so long, I really don't remember what splenda taste like. I think it's pretty much the same.

I use Stevia. I had used equal and sweet n low for many years prior to the band, and started having MAJOR reflux. Then I read on one of the threads that several people were having the same problem and had switched to Stevia. I switched and reflux GONE!!! That was about 5 months ago.

I actually use Xylitol... it's a sugar alcohol, but tastes exactly like sugar and has the same granulated effect... dissolves great too and you can you it same as sugar in baking... I am a health nut, hate eating chemicals like splenda and know that regular sugar is one of the worse things in the world you can put in your body... Do a search on Xylitol on Google and you will find out all the great things about it... it is a natural sugar alcohol derived from various sources and has little effect on your blood sugar... it is also being put in gum and candy now because it is so good for your teeth! It also is good for children to consume since it helps keep them free and clear of ear infections..... tons of great stuff on it... try it, you will love it!

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

I use Splenda. Well.........actually Altern. That's Walmarts version of splenda, it has the same ingredients and cost less. I don't use artificial sweeteners a lot, but if I'm having tea, that's what I add.

I use Altern as well and I really like it. I used to use Equal and Sweet n' Low but because I get Migraines I quite them. Some people say they can contribute to migraines so I try and avoid stuff like that.

I used to be a big saccharine user...don't like splenda or aspartame. Recently, I started using an herbal supplement called Stevia because I wanted to get off the saccharine-I really like it, but it is more expensive than the others. I just wish I could get sugar free stuff that didn't have all the other sweetener blech in it.

I agree Stevia is more expensive, but like you said it's herbal, and much better for you. Stevia is considered by the FDA as a dietary supplement, not a sweetner. I have found a site on EBAY that has a really good price on it. Their name is ClubNatural. Just search for nunaturals. It comes in several forms, here is some info on the White Stevia powder.

Product Description:

NuNaturals White Stevia powder, Standardized 12 oz (336 g) Extract

NuNaturals uses an extract which has been laboratory tested and certified to contain a minimum 90% of the steviosides, the most active ingredients of Stevia, while retaining the other beneficial components. This is a highly concentrated extract and should not be confused with less potent powdered herbs or extracts. Be assured that this is a true Stevia extract, consistent in quality that you expect from NuNaturals.

Maltodextrin is a food grade carbohydrate derived from grain. It is added to make it easier to measure the Stevia Extract.

NuNaturals also produces White Stevia™ Extract and Quick Dissolve Tablets™ without maltodextrin, Pure Liquid™ Clear Stevia™ Extract that allows greater control over your dosage, and White Stevia™ Powder Packets. White Stevia™ Extract is super concentrated and great for making large batches. NuNaturals White Stevia™ packets and Quick Dissolve Tablets™ are convenient ways to use Stevia when you are away from home.

Edited by dawgfan

Do you have to get Stevia on Ebay? Where else can you get it?

I agree Stevia is more expensive, but like you said it's herbal, and much better for you. Stevia is considered by the FDA as a dietary supplement, not a sweetner. I have found a site on EBAY that has a really good price on it. Their name is ClubNatural. Just search for nunaturals. It comes in several forms, here is some info on the White Stevia Powder.

Product Description:

NuNaturals White Stevia Powder, Standardized 12 oz (336 g) Extract

NuNaturals uses an extract which has been laboratory tested and certified to contain a minimum 90% of the steviosides, the most active ingredients of Stevia, while retaining the other beneficial components. This is a highly concentrated extract and should not be confused with less potent powdered herbs or extracts. Be assured that this is a true Stevia extract, consistent in quality that you expect from NuNaturals.

Maltodextrin is a food grade carbohydrate derived from grain. It is added to make it easier to measure the Stevia Extract.

NuNaturals also produces White Stevia™ Extract and Quick Dissolve Tablets™ without maltodextrin, Pure Liquid™ Clear Stevia™ Extract that allows greater control over your dosage, and White Stevia™ Powder Packets. White Stevia™ Extract is super concentrated and great for making large batches. NuNaturals White Stevia™ packets and Quick Dissolve Tablets™ are convenient ways to use Stevia when you are away from home.

Thanks, I will check it out! I usually buy mine at Trader Joe's, but I have seen it in the health/organic foods section at the regular grocery store also.

Have any of you tried Xylitol.... way better than Stevia and natural as well... not a chemical... read my post above... I am a diabetic and have been using Xylitol for about 4 years.. you can buy it at Super supplements or online.. it's not too incredibly expensive and is the best thing you can buy for sweetening.... it also is good at killing bacteria and germs... they have Spry toothpaste and mouthwash as well because it is so good for your teeth... I make my daughter use the toothpaste, chew the gun and eat the candy (Spry brand) as it helps control ear infections as well as bad breath and is excellent for your teeth. PLEASE try it.... it is SO MUCH better than anything else. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08