Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery 3 days ago, I am still a little sore and gassy. My main problem is I am having left shoulder pain, I've tried heat, ice, and rubs but it is still hurting. Has anyone experienced this and if so what can I do to help it???

Sorry you are in pain. I've read several posts about shoulder pain being common thing after surgery. You might do a search if you haven't already done so to see if you can come up with any answers.

This is very common- move as much as you can- walking/moving helps to get the gas out- also try taking Gas X- there is a chewable one and possibly even a liquid one that can help a little. Other option is to ask doc for a pain medication to help some. good luck

I am also three days out of surgery and feeling much better today than I did yesterday. I walk around some and do some light house work like push a broom very slowly. My main concern is that I am always cold and i hope that gets better soon.

Yes, me to! I had surgery march 24, last monday and still have shoulder pain, I am walking, heating pad, deep breathing helps, laying on my left side helps. I cants wait for that to go away! I had hernia repair also, so I have a lot of chest tightness and pain, does anyone else have this?

best thing that worked for me was walking. it totally helps with the gas. i know it's not the most enjoyable thing to do right after surgery - but i promise - it will help to "move around" the gas and get it out of you!

I just had surgery on Thursday. The neck and shoulder pain on my left side had me in tears! I couldn't get comfortable. Heat seemed to make it a little bit better. This morning I stood in the shower with the HOT Water just running down my left shoulder and neck and I feel pretty good today. My back is a bit sore from laying around so much. Hopefully I will feel better in the morning. I have to start back to the routine of driving kids to school. Spring Break is over.:scared2:

I had surgery 3 days ago, I am still a little sore and gassy. My main problem is I am having left shoulder pain, I've tried heat, ice, and rubs but it is still hurting. Has anyone experienced this and if so what can I do to help it???

I had my surgery on Tuesday this past week and I felt the shoulder pain too. I also had my tubes tied and had it then. It is common because of the gas that is left in the body when they had to "inflate" your abdomen. The pain can be excruciating but it does subside. Typically I have heard walking, lying down, and moving your arms kind of in pin-wheel motion may help. I know for me that laying still for a while and trying to put my midsection in the air did help in both occurrences. I know that sounds funny, but it worked. The air bubbles have to go somewhere and I did not want them in my shoulders any longer.

Hope that helps.

My doc told me that it is very common to have gas pains in the left corner of your chest near your shoulder. Maybe thats the problem

I read on here somewhere that if you get on your knees (hold a pillow against your tummy for support) put your head and shoulders down on the bed..floor or where ever you are doing this and your butt in the air...you will look really silly but that it will get the gas moving in the direction you want it to go, up and out. I was lucky and did not have a problem with gas so if this works please let us know.

There is absolutely NO WAY that I can even get into that position. I can barely walk around my house. My gas pains are still there a little bit but what hurts me more now is my back pain and my port pain. I feel like I got hit by a bus. I hurt so bad right now. I had now idea it would be this bad. When my mom had this done last year, she was back to normal within 3 or 4 days...and she is 56!

I agree with LiseSeattle...Walk, walk, walk. I did not have severe pain, but I literally started walking the moment I got home. I walked in my house from room to room, then I got out and walked down my driveway (which is short) and then around my yard..Slowly of course because I was sore, but the gas was not a real issue with me. I did not have to take ANY GasX (my nurse told me that it really wouldn't work anyway because it was really for intestinal gas and the gas we experience is outside the organs due to the expanding of our stomachs) Good luck, keep up the faith!!:)