Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Welcome msdollarz!

I also have dr R and the same ins company. They are really good and fair when it comes to approval.

I was told to lose 10-15 lbs and was 41bmi when I went for my initial consult a bit over 3 weeks ago. I see him again in April. I believe the weight loss aids in reducing the size of the fat in the liver for the procedure.

New to this thread..I can't tell you HOW excited I am. I have wanted the lapband for a little over a year - but my dh was very opposed. Then one day in Jan. he was like "if you want it - get it" I ran to the phone and made an appt with Dr. Robinson. I liked him the best from the orientation.

So, I have my first appointment with him on March 17th. I am seeing the nutrionist first at 8am and then Dr. R at 9am. I have Harvard Pilgrim and Jennifer said they have a really quick approval time, so I am hoping I can get the surgery in April. Although, I know some people have to lose weight - can someone tell me how often that occurs? Or does it solely depend on your current weight? I'm just nervous that if he makes me loose weight I won't qualify. I am at a 41 B.M.I.

I want this so bad..I'm also nervous that I am going to say something wrong and he is going to say I don't qualify. If you have acid reflux does that mean you won't qualify? I read that somewhere on the boards. I do have crohn's (mild case) but my GI doc would do the surgery for me if she could - she is a big supporter of me getting this.

ohhhh...I wish I could have the surgery tomorrow..there will be no cold feet for me!

P.S. I love this board!!

Hello, i also have Harvard Pilgrim and they approved me in a day and a half, with no obstacles. I had my initial consult in october 2008 and had surgery in february 2009 with Dr. Robinson. You may be able to go a little quicker than I did as my work schedule isn't very flexible so I couldn't take all the appointments at the earliest time they had one open.

I think you will do fine!

I, too, had Harvard Pilgrim AND, unlike Jay, a very flexible work schedule. I think I had a bmi of 43 or so. I attended the October information session and was able to be operated on by December 12th. I also had Dr. Robinson. I stress that I had a very flexible schedule and was able to work closely with Jennifer to make it in before Christmas. (I assume there wasn't a big demand for the pre-Christmas surgery dates, either....)

Weight loss is important for the reduction of the size of your liver---your surgeon must lift the liver to get to the stomach to put the band on. There are links on this site and the Brigham and Women's site to watch a surgery. I strongly recommend it. It's quite interesting if you can stomach it. Good luck. Hope you will join us for the March support meeting at the Brigham! :)

Edited by notateechanow

No school tomorrow. :wink: We'll be in school through July at this point...UGH. Enjoy the snow!!

I work for a college and I'm hoping they cancel also!

I've had a cold for the past two days and the sneezing and coughing have really made my abdomen quite sore. On the plus side, having no appetite has made me drop some more weight, i'm almost 100lbs to goal. I know that seems so far off, but it's as close as I've been in as long as I can remember!

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!

Hi Everyone -

I just caught up on the last twenty or so pages of this thread, and wanted introduce myself.

I'm scheduled for surgery at the Brigham on March 18th with Dr. Lautz! I'm feeling a combination of both excitement and fear; not so much of the actual surgery, but fear that for some reason my liver will be too large. It would just be my luck (and I love my wine, too, which probably increases the chance of it being fatty?). I've only heard of one person on the boards that had a liver problem, so I hope it's a rare thing!

I have not started the pre-op diet yet. Natalie told me I could choose to start at two weeks or a week to week and 1/2 because I was "small" (absurd, but thanks, haven't heard that phrase in eight years). I definitely hope to hear it a lot more over the next year :thumbup: I think I will start on Sunday, which would put me about 11 days out. Hopefully that will be long enough. I am not dreading the pre-op diet nearly as much as stage one post-op, but hopefully eating will be the last thing on my mind!

It seems only a few of us here don't have Dr. Robinson (I was slightly afraid of him at his info session)! It's crazy how different the process seems depending on the particular doctor. Dr. Lautz was booked very far out (my initial consult was scheduled for April), but his magnificent assistant gave us a great tip at the information session on how to get in via a cancellation, and I was in the next day...surgery date was scheduled the day of the consult...then Psych, Upper GI (ugh), nutrition, a bunch of pokes and prods, a two-day BCBS turnaround, and here I am two weeks away! Thankfully Dr. L doesn't require weight loss prior to surgery (his theory is if we were successful at weight loss, he'd be out of a job :thumbup: because I have been on a eat-everything-I-will-never-be-able-to-have-again-or-have-for-a-very-long-time diet this week!

You all are doing so well! I know you veterans will be an amazing resource as us rookies go through this jouney, and I look forward to chatting and eventually meeting you all at support groups!

Ok everybody, I'm getting really upset because I had to miss my appointment AGAIN today because of the weather. They can't get me in now till APRIL!!!! I'm upset because I was really trying to kick butt this month before my trip to Jamaica. I haven't had a fill in over 2 months! Now I really need it. I don't think there's anything I can do. Is there??

PS ~ I finally got the nerve up to RUN on the tredmill at the gym!!! Only did it a bit but I DID IT !!! I was surprised that my lugs did not bother me. My leg muscles got tired & I need a better sports bra lol! :)

good for you Heidi...Ive only started to run and can only do it for no more than a minute at a time...which does disappoint me. I think I am just a wimp. :) I had a hard time with the sports bra bc of my size and had to invest in a good one...try looking at Kohls.

I was riding the gravy train of what I thought was a sweet spot there for a while but I think it was more hormones. Ive been eating horrible the past few days and seemed to be very hungry. Now my calories are doubled!!! Ugh. Sorry to hear the storm messed up your fill appt...I have one at the very end of March. Not sure if that would help you. Or try to get a cancelation?

Welcome soxaholic! Ive heard nothing but great things about Dr L. you are in great hands.How awesome that you got your surgery date so fast. I wouldnt worry about your liver, I am sure Dr L can handle it. As for the post-op diet yes its hard but knowing that its not forever and being fixated on that does help.

PS ~ I finally got the nerve up to RUN on the tredmill at the gym!!! Only did it a bit but I DID IT !!! I was surprised that my lugs did not bother me. My leg muscles got tired & I need a better sports bra lol! :)

You go girl! Excellent. I took to layering sports bras. I realize it's probably easier to buy new ones, but until I'm at a size closer to goal, I can't see the logic in investing $35 each when I have so many. Which reminds me....if anyone is in need of these types of things, in the spring I intend to clean out my drawers and would pass along any that are presentable and in good condition! (I think mine are pretty large---like 46D or 46DD, maybe??)

Anyway, can you call and ask them to give you a call should Dr. Vernon have a cancellation? I know you probably need to make plans in advance, but it can't hurt to try....they should know at least a day in advance, right??

Glad to hear you're kicking up the intensity of your workouts! I'm on week 3 of my training for the 5K. I ran for intervals of 5 minutes with 2.5 of walking for almost 55 minutes yesterday...I'll get there, it just won't be easy. :thumbup:

Not banded..don't even have a Banding date, but do have my appts with psych,upper GI, and nutritionist set up, as well as second appt with Dr R. Hope I can get a date then..it is in April. So very far away. Taking my time losing the 10 lbs between now and then.

I have begun drinking Carnation Instant Br. and my body is basking and reveling in all that protein..such a feeling of well being I never had before, because I never ate much Protein or dairy. My body is starving for nutritious food. Before I was just depriving it of nutrients and stuffing the carbs. Perpetual hunger. Last night I tried to behave myself and the hunger was horrible in the middle of the night. Ignored it and 'embraced' it as Opra said. Not such a warm embrace,though. LOL

Went to the market and found by accident the Kellogg Protein Water Mix packets in abundance in Shaw's. I was searching the wrong aisles..cereal,beverage, coffee, tea. I found it over in the aisle that also has cosmetics/baby formular/ shampoo/lotions/pills. Thanks for recommending that at the last meeting, Yvonne. So much better tasting, for me, than Crystal Light.

So if anyone is looking in Shaw's..that's the location.

Also got my bill for the $550 fee which must be paid before the date of procedure. No problem there. The problem is...no date!

I have not yet heard from a sleep study center for an appt. Was told they would call. But...as usual, I am finding that I probably will have to go after them for an appointment. AAARRRgggh!

I hate waiting.

At times I crave chocolate candy. But I am finding that one meal of Carnation Inst. chocolate Breakfast with a banana and lactaid milk done up nice and thick with the hand blender satisfies that craving just as adequately as a Cadbury bar or 2....and it fills me up to boot!

'

So that's it for me. To sum it up...'WAITING!' and getting ready to BLITZ off the last of the 10 lbs to be lost before returning to the Good Doc Robinson.At first I said I wanted to lose it gradually..but hey...what's another 2 lbs?

Welcome to the new members from a fairly new member .

Edited by singingintherain

I have been using Trivita's sublingual B12 but am finding it so expensive even though good. I used to use it a few years ago and have just started back on it.

Does anyone else have a sublingual b12 that they swear by which seems to make a marked difference in their energy?