Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The importance of Water

hi, leo

enjoy your knowledge, and insite to the info. you put out. i make copy's of them,and you've done great, in your lost of 100lbs. you inspire me to do better. thank you, your great. it must have been a long and tough journey, to lose so must. i'm a beginner, but, i can learn from you, please, share.

how long did you have to wait for the ok to get band?

were you in poor health?

was your recovery, long?

did you lose weight right away,?

margie, hope to hear from you.

------------------------------------

margie

295/257.8/-37

ny.to pa.

bronx, montifiore host.

dr. texirea

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR VERY KIND.

Hi Margie, sorry for not replying for so long, I have been slacking a bit lately. Busy with my new job and career change and just finished buying a new townhome here in conneticut. I was never in poor health, but my doctor told me that weight related complications would be a problem if I didn't loose. I lost the bulk of my weight the first 8 months, average 2 lbs a week. Recovery took about 2 months due to a infection of one of the incisions. But it was managable.

The journey wasn't tough at all, I stressed out quite a lot the first 3 months but I was able to research and find out what ever I was bothered with and from that point on it was just on auto pilot.

Right now I am just keeping at a steady weight of around 170lbs and I have lost quite a bit of restriction. Its still there but not as much as before. I have enjoyed being able to eat a little bit more the last 5 months but it's time for me to loose the final 20 lbs. So I have scheduled for a fill, i am going back to Tijuana. If you got anymore questions feel free to pm me. I had a site before with my journals but I got lazy and let it expire.

hi, leo

glad to hear from you, it sounds like you are really busy, a career change is a big move to make now a days. but, it give you a chance to look at things in a different light. which is really nice , new inspirations, to look forward too. i move to pa after yrs in n.y. and boy, it feels great, for my health and peace of mind,

so i really hope all goes well, with you. i do have questions,

why do people get stuck on a platu ? when it comes to eatting.

with the small size of the stomach ? if you eat to much can you pop a stitch or just stretch it?,

thanks for your reply. and your help...

margie

------------------------------------------------------

margie

295/258./140gol

4/5/04

Guest kate

thanks this is the best explanation for Water. i was banded yesterday and needed this info. i donñt understand however the connection of not drinking with the meal. can you help me understand this? thanks, kate/seattle

I think.. its because you dont want to get full while you are eating... I havent been banded yet.. so i guess I could be wrong, but this is just from reading and learning everything...

I have not been banded yet either but my Dr. said if you eat and drink at the same time the liquid will make your food go down faster,also you won't have room for much food and you don't want to use your room on liquids you want to use it on healthy food in small amounts.Everone is this true!!!

Actually, you DO want to do what is called 'water loading' up until the time you eat - some say 30-45 minutes before, some say it's okay all the way up until you begin eating. This, in fact, does cause you to feel more full and less 'hungry'. THEN, when you do begin eating your protein/veggies, you DO NOT drink at all. This allows the hard Proteins to sit longer in your small pouch - above the band. After 1-2hrs you can then begin drinking again.

thanks this is the best explanation for Water. i was banded yesterday and needed this info. i donñt understand however the connection of not drinking with the meal. can you help me understand this? thanks, kate/seattle

leatha totally hit it on the nail with the post i qouted below:

Actually, you DO want to do what is called 'water loading' up until the time you eat - some say 30-45 minutes before, some say it's okay all the way up until you begin eating. This, in fact, does cause you to feel more full and less 'hungry'. THEN, when you do begin eating your protein/veggies, you DO NOT drink at all. This allows the hard Proteins to sit longer in your small pouch - above the band. After 1-2hrs you can then begin drinking again.

Also imagine this situation. You have only a small opening between the upper and lower stomach. if food settles in the small pouch , and you suddenly take a big gulp of Water by mistake. Everything could come up thru your mouth ;)

:eek

My husband always has a hard time with any liquids, We thought at first it was because of the slippage, but, it has continued since the resurgery. This is whether or not the band has been tightened or not. He has no problem with food, just Water. It is the weirdest thing.

Hi Denise -

That same thing happened to me - no probs with food, but Water was hard to get down.

My personal, non-scientific explanation to myself was that food can be compacted, so when the stomach churned to push the food down through the stoma, the food was moved around and compressed and pushed down. But since Water water doesn't compress, pushing on it would just make it flow upwards - I just really had to wait for the water to trickle through...

Don't know if there is any more scientific explanation, but my hypothesis satisfied me... :D