Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Teng or Dr. Atkinson in Las Vegas? I am thinking about going out of state unless I can find some references.

Thanks,

Mary

No, Mary. Sorry. But I moved and am now closer to Las Vegas than my normal doc and it would be so much easier...and fun...to go to Vegas for any band adjustments.

Don't suppose you know anyone that takes on new patients banded elsewhere?

Hi Mary,

I know you got my email but I thought I'd stick a reply here also. :-)

I am having surgery next month with Dr Teng. I went through the process last year with Dr. Atkinson's office but backed out before surgery. I didn't like the way they made me feel like a "charity case" because I have Tricare. They were very up front about having no use for it... which really started to rub me the wrong way. I needed them to be supportive in every way, ya know?

Anyway, Dr. Teng's office is very nice about Tricare, and actually has been very nice about everything.

My biggest concern now is that, being a military spouse, I never live anywhere very long, and it seems like the surgeons nationwide are really bad about taking pre-banded patients. If this device is supposed to stay in patients long term, and we are supposed to be able to use this tool for years, then how can these Docs think that their patients will never move? Are they just in it to do the actual surgery? I have a really bad feeling about these surgeons all over the country jumping on the lap-band bandwagon (lol) but not being willing to take on any patients they didn't actually operate on. It's like they are unclear on the lap band concept or something.

I hope that makes sense... it's my personal gripe about this whole process... they need to work this out, since there are thousands of us being banded every year!:confused2:

Jen

Jen,

I would do two things: (1) ask Dr. Teng for a referral in the place you move to and, or (2) call TriWest and ask for assistance. If you move out of the West, you'll be using Human or HealthNet (South and North, respectively).

Does seem to be a problem. Thanks for the info on Dr. Teng. Stay in touch!!

Mary

Wish I could help you with a surgeon who will do fills. Unfortuantely, I am trying to find a surgeon that I can trust to do the surgery in the first place. I think I have - Dr. Teng. Don't know if he takes patients from other doctors.

Mary

Hi Mary,

I have an appointment with doctor Atkinson this week for my consult, from what I unserstand he is the best in the area. My PC doctor also recommended him. I went to his seminar and really liked him, also the girls in his office so far have been great. Sometimes you have to keep on them to return phone calls, other then that so far so good. And like I said he is the Best in the are.

Good Luck

Carol LV :biggrin:

Hi, I had my surgery with Dr. Soong and Dr. Atkinsons. IT WAS GREAT. They are both very knowledgable and pleasant. My surgery was only 2 weeks ago and I feel wonderful. Had very little pain and they both came highly recommended. You should check out there website. Gastric Band Institute - Las Vegas

Michelle and Carole,

Do either of you have Tricare for your insurance? How long did it take to get your evaluation appt from the time you attended the seminar? Thanks!!

Mary

Mary,

Sorry I don't have tricare, I have Loomis and I am still waiting for approval.

Because of my insurance I had to do a 3 month dr. supervised diet. Once I finished that I had my psych evaluation and lab work and testing done. At that point when I dropped of all my results and they check that I turned in everything they gave me an appointment which is this week. So really it depends on how soon you get the tests done .

They will give you a packet showing you the timeline for everything.

Good Luck

Carol LV

Hi Michelle, My surgery is 4/21 with Dr. Atkinson, how long did they keep you in the hospital.

I have my pre-op on Wednesday this week not sure what to expect. My surgery was scheduled for May then my Insurance changed to HPN. The good news was My sergery is a month sooner. Most likely because the new insurance only p/u $5000 and I get to take care of the rest. I think it worth it.

I'll keep you posted.

Carol

Hi Carol.

Congrats on getting the surgery date. I was in the hospital overnight and left by 9am the next day. But you may go home the same day as the surgery. Since your insurance is paying 5k, it would probably be cheaper for you not to stay. I would call SWCC and double check. Keep me posted.

My first fill is in a week. Will be glad to get some restriction again as I can just about eat anything and have stopped losing.

My email is momoline@cox.net. Feel free to contact me directly.....let me know how you are doing and I will help in anyway I can.

Michelle "MO"

Hi Michelle. "Mo"

I called today and yes I do have to stay over night4_6_201.gif. What hospital did you have your surgery and how was it. Just a little nervous. Not thrilled to stay over nite36_1_6.gifwish me luck.

I'll keep you posted.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNfox000