Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing the May Bandsters

Hi my name is D, I'm 46 living in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm scheduled to be banded on May 5th - Happy Cinco de mayo to me!

Long story short, I've always been overweight. My Dad passed from complications of diabetes in 2004. Four months later I was diagnosed diabetic. My PCP talked to me about WLS and gave me 6 months to get serious. I was at *gulp* 367 pounds and over the next 2 years lost 132 of them.

I began to have health issues that lead to 7 different surgical procedures in the next 2 years. Including back surgery in August 2007. Recently, I was told by my orthopedic surgeon that I have severe arthritis and am in need of at least a partial knee replacement. However, I am too young and have to LIVE with the pain.

Because of my near immobility, I have gained back nearly all of my loss. I am tired of the vicious cycle, I say, bring it on! I'm tired and I'm ready for a HEALTHY change.

And I'd like to Tap Dance again :cry_smile:

I'm glad you are taking control back! That is a great attitude. I am sorry for the yuckiness that has come your way, but I know you will do great! I am being banded on 5/27 with my husband and my parents 2 days later.... I guess you probably read that up above.... anyhow... good luck!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

YEA D!!!!!!

I can say I can actually imagine how you feel..LOL!!!!!

KUDOS to you with blessings!!!!!

I'm 3wks into my 6wk pre-op Protein Shake diet. I've lost 16lbs so far and this morning was the 1st morning...in a long time...that I was able to tread fast and normal down my stairs for my cup of coffee!!!! No squat bends to loosen up my knees!!! See what we have to look forward to???? Can't wait!!!!!!

Hi all!

So I am Shannon and I am a nurse who lives in Vancouver Canada. I am 28 and I will be going for surgery May 31st! So just under the wire to qualify for the group! My birthday, is a few days before my surgery date, it is just how it worked out. Actually I was supposed to go August 15th but was bumped up as I am paying and two other people had to cancel. So I am beyond excited, scared, nervous, excited, and mostly excited.

I have been heavy my whole life, and I have come to see that if I continue down this path, well my path will be cut short. So I know that I want to be around for many years, and since I got engaged a year ago, have come to the realisation that maybe I do want kids, but not like this! So here we go, with the help of my loving family, fiance and friends and mushy cat I have 41 days and counting....not like I am counting, well basically every waking moment I am counting, it is a new life! So Good luck to those who will be going soon! It is an exciting time for everyone!

Shannon

Where are you being banded Shannon? I am your neighbor to the South a bit!

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - Mexico - self-pay

BMI 52

Hello everyone!

My name is Kammi, and I am a student at Texas State University! I have basically been overweight my entire life. I am 20 years old and will be having surgery on May 2nd! I cannot wait for the new chapter that is beginning in my life.

I have 3 dogs and a cat--all of who are wonderful. The dogs cannot wait for their mommy to be able to take them on the jogging trails again!

Hey Kammi... it's me Kammi!!!! Yes, Kammi from WA State! Nice to meet ya... not too often I meet a Kammi, especially spelled the exact way as mine... I am 36, almost 37, you were named after me! LOL...

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

BMI 52

Hello All you May Flowers... I'm new to this so I'm hoping I'm doing it right... I'm from Alaska and I'm 38. I've been overweight since forever, I remember a teacher making fun of my weight...sad, but I'm almost over it...ha ha. I've tried every diet known to woman-and they don't work so this is my saving grace. I am so excited!!! May 5th can't come soon enough. Some one said in another post that us May 5thiers are the "shrink O De Mayos" Isn't that the best? I think thats hilarious! I'm just so excited and excited and excited I just can't stand it... Yea to all of us for making this decision for our health and happiness!!!

Hi guys...I am so happy (and nervous) to finally have a surgery date!!!!! - MAY 23, 2008!!!

My name is LaMonica, I'm 24, and live in McKinney, TX which is just north of Dallas. I currently weigh about 277 and am 5'6"....I believe I am absolutely gorgeous, and have a nice shape, it's just a lot on the maximize side and I need to minimize greatly! :-) I have always been the "bigger kid" since I was in school, but I always had a "cute face". Well after high school my weight just kept ballooning up and up and up until 1 day I looked at pictures of myself and was like 'IS THIS WHAT I REALLY LOOK LIKE???'. I was disgusted...It's like what I see in the mirror isn't what everyone else sees. I think I was in denial about my size. I've been contemplating lap band surgery for 2 years now....hoping that my insurance would cover it but it doesn't. But, my mom just retired and got a lump sum of money up front, and she is paying for my surgery. I feel so blessed!!! I am very nervous and excited, but I know I will get support from you all! Nice to meet you all....hope we can help each other along the way!

P.S. - how do I make one of those cute May Flowers banners? :-)

Hi everyone, My new life date is set for 5/5/08. I am excited and a little scared. I am 50, have 2 grown kids, 2 grandkids. I have been single for 20 years( no one likes a fat chick in CA) I am diabetic, which is my main reason to do this. My father died the day after Christmas from kidney failure due to diabetes. I just don't want to end up having the problems he has had for the last 10 years. I want to be healthier. I live in Orange County, CA. 4 miles west of Disneyland. The Happiest place on Earth.

Hello all you Mayflowers!

Remember the Mayflower is the ship that brought the pilgrims to a new land! :thumbup:

As you can see my avatar is a woman, old and haggard or young and beautiful, it depends on how you look at her! We all have that beautiful woman inside… now let’s show her to the world!:lol:

I live in Kingsport, Tennessee. I have been single again for 18 years:mellow:; I was married for 20 years:rolleyes2:. I have two grown children (a boy and a girl), two grandchildren (boy and girl) and one on the way (another little girl.)

I am a Senior Instructor at a Technology College, I teach Business. In a nutshell, I train Medical and Legal secretaries. I have been here for 9 years in August. Before that I owned a custom picture frame shop.:lol:

I have had weight issues my entire life, beginning as a toddler. I was lactose intolerant as a baby and that has followed me through life. Now, I am intolerant to eggs, milk, oats, peanuts, onions, lettuce, strawberries and cantaloupe! That leaves very little to work with, but I will succeed!

I am positive and proactive a:thumbup::thumbup:nd a motivator. This is a journey I am looking so forward to and will support each of you, as I look forward to your support. :tt2:

Yay! I finally got a surgery date and I am a May Flower! I am scheduled for May 23rd, and cannot wait!!!

My name is Michelle, I am 25, turning 26 in July and live in the Hudson Valley Region of New York. I have a wonderful husband and son who are supporting me through this. Like alot of people I have been fat nearly my enitre life. The only time I was average was three years in highschool when I nearly killed myself taking Phen-Fen. I have tried everything from pills to 500 calorie a day diets, to weight watchers, LA weight loss, Atkins, etc. etc always to regain all of my lost weight plus some. At this point in my life I am not looking to be a size 5, I just want to be healthy and happy and able to lead a normal life. Truthfully, the credit for opening my eyes to taking control over my life again through the help of the lap-band, has to be given to my sweet five year old. He said something so honest and unintentionally harsh to me over a year ago that changed my life and made me realize it was time to make an effective change. In speaking with a family member, I was told about the band and I researched for about 9 months before begining my journey. I am going to be banded by Dr. Fielding in NYC, who has himself been banded. I am nervous, excited and scared all at the same time. Overall though, I just can't wait!

Hi, I'm Stephanie. I'm getting banded on May 22nd by Dr. Collier in Houston....we live here so it is nice not to have to go far. I've been considering banding for 16 months and after running into friends that have had it done, decided, why wait, I'm not able to get skinny on my own.

I am 34 yrs old, have a 2 year old and 5 year old. I've always been heavy. I'm 5'8" @ 208 lbs, BMI 31.5, self-pay. Only my husband and neighbor (need her for babysitting with dr. appointments!) know that I am finally doing this. Others I will share with as the weight comes off :-)