Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post surg - Banding feeling tighter! Help!

Please help Just got banded 3/19. I was given Lortab consistently while in hospital and sent home about 24 hrs after surg. They checked the band on video x-ray before I left and it was fine. I had a BM before leaving the hospital. They gave me Lortab Elixir which I took up to last night as needed and then I switched over to liquid Tylenol. I have only taken the Tylenol once (about 4 AM today) and haven't had anything for pain since. I continued to have a LOT of gas pains after leaving the hospital but this seems to have been significantly relieved since yesterday. I have been following the clear liquid instructions they gave me. On my first day home I drank 2 liters of Fluid that the discharge intern told me to take every day and I REALLY got terribly overfull and bloated by this. I'm wondering if he was wrong to tell me to do that. I have been drinking today but I'm not allowing myself to get that terribly uncomfortable feeling so I know I'm not doing 2 liters. Here is the current problem---I'm starting to get a REAL sense of tightness across the band area. Sometimes I can even feel a little burning. I'm wondering what is happening? Is my stomach bloating up?? Is this post-op obstruction? Or am I just feeling more because I'm not using anymore tylenol? I'm not running a temp or having anything problems. My feet do feel cold but it's cold outside. Should I be getting worried?

:thumbdown:

I was banded on 3/17 and just speaking from my experience.. My surgeon gave me pictures that he took while in there putting the band on.. he took one when the band was first placed.. then another one right after and its amazing to see how much my stomach swelled once it was on..

I know that when I drink a little that I feel some tightness inside which Im assuming is where the band is around the stomach.. I figure its mainly the swelling around the band at this point.. I figure once the swelling goes down in a few weeks, which is what my dr said, than I wont feel quite the tightness.. I bet it'll be the same for you..

Hoping someone else whose had it longer can give some insight.. just thought Id reply and tell you what Im experiencing with mine..

i was banded 3/20 and my belly is still pretty bloated. i haven't touched any pain meds and feel fine. it feels like indigestion every once in a while. i've been sipping on my electrolyte drink (mixed with crystal light) all day, and had a tea at lunch. maybe you shouldn't worry so much about the volume of what you're consuming - just have something when you feel like you need a drink? oh, and the cold feet - my guess is that your body is going into ketosis and burning fat - I always get cold when i'm in ketosis (my feet are freezing right now) and i'm NEVER cold - I could sweat in a snow storm! :wub: you'll get over the hump... one day at a time....

Hi Rugman

I'm another 19th March bander and it's all a bit new and wierd isnt it.

I found that I couldn't manage 1.5 litres of Fluid a day until yesterday when it suddenly became a bit easier. Still very windy and bloated but this too is beginning to settle. Yesterday I simply carried a bottle of Water around with me everywhere (one of those with a sports cap you can sip on) and kept refilling it when I had to. I found that a 500ml bottle lasted about four hours so I got nearly two litres by the end of the day - sip sip sip sip sip seems to be the key at the moment.

Stick at it. We're all in this together and from reading the experiences of others, you and I are simply "earning our stripes" at the moment.

Best of luck

Gordon

I thank all 3 of you. How are all of you doing now?

:smile:I found that you are correct. I does seem as if it was some kind of bloating problem that does seem to get worse and better at times.That particular eve worried me a lot because it was getting REALLY tight. It has not been quite that bad again and now I know, with your help and more time, that this is par. I must say that I have been surprised by many posts in which people say that they are up and out and even back to work in a matter of days. I'm sitting here 5 days post-op and can't even zip what was a loose pair or pre-op jeans around me. I have been doing some very light walking up and down my street and I have been following all the surg. orders. He's at a teaching Hospital in NY and gives a very conservative pre-op clear liquid diet so I know my swelling doesn't come from eating/doing things I'm not suppose to do.

I also meant to add -----What a GREAT thought about the cold feet! This makes perfect sense! It's nice to think that I may be in ketosis and actually losing weight even though I feel like an over-stuffed pinata!

Penny

Please, tell me more about this "ketosis". My boyfriend says I am burning him out of the house. It seems like ever since I had my surgery I am cold all the time!

The key to not getting bloated with liquids is to sip slowly. They told me to try to drink 1 ounce every 15 minutes. That isn't much but it adds up pretty fast to the two liters needed. Hang in there. The first few days are tough but I can drink easily now.

Put socks on for your cold feet. I sat around with fuzzy socks on for two weeks after my surgery.

I have spent quite a lot of time (off and on) Atkins so I really relate to this. I also did a 12 week Optifast liquid diet a number of years ago and now that I remember it --I was cold. I guess now the cold is mostly in my feet ---maybe because I'm older (and heavier). I have REALLY researched this topic a LOT (and I am a researcher). Whatever you do --don't believe anyone who tells you there is something wrong with ketosis for people who are getting very limited carbs. It is perfectly normal/safe. The only thing that is important to remember is to get PLENTY of Fluid. People who are losing fast need to stay hydrated to help prevent kidney or gall stones. :wink:

Penny

hey there! I am also a 3/19/08 bandster! WOO for us! I'm thrilled to learn my cold hands and feet may actually be some weight loss! Don't worry too much about the bloat, my dietician suggested lemon slices squeezed into my Water to get rid of retention, and it works wonders in about half a day. (your rings and waist band will fit better, less swelling). As well, i have not had much luck getting tons of fluids down, maybe 1 liter a day? I just dont' feel thirsty and it's hard to go from a gulper to a sipper! But i am working to improve that. Don't worry about all those superheros who were able to return to normal tasks within 24 hours or anything. I felt like death for 2 days, slightly normal on day 3, then day 4 and today feel pretty good. Anyhoo, adding Tomato Soup to my liquid diet at my doc's suggestion has been a Godsend. It has a little sodium to help bloat and has flavor too! Good luck.

I have test strips to pee on to tell me if I am in that stage.

Where did you get these. I am very curious now. Maybe this is the reason I am so cold. How long does this usually last??

Thanks Ejmdiva! Will try the lemon! I'm better too but over did it yesterday and I'm low energy today. I'm also much older so maybe that's part of it.

jrg1979 --- you can get those test strips at Wallmart or any drug store. MAJOR HINT: when you get them - cut them in half the long way so you will have twice as many. As I recall -- they cost 7 or 8 dollars and this way you they'll last quite a while.

I got the lap bandon the 19th, and feel as if I am falling behind the pack here. Did anyone have any major diareah? I bet it's from all of the liquids. My stomach feels kind of "jittery", like I am low on food, but I do not have the erge to eat or drink anything. I may try to Tomato Soup, good idea! I have not been nearly as bloated or full of gas, but I do have a weird feeling in my throat, like I need to burp or hic-up, but it doesn't quite come out. Anyone have any ideas?