Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Hi ya'll,

I did call bc bs today about my out of pocket expense. My outpatient out of pocket will be $75 an inpatient will be $100. I am covered at 100% for hospital and surgeon's costs. Pretty good huh?!

I am sorry I did not meet you guys on Sat. I had on a black dress with a black and white scarf in my hair.< /p>

Now that I think about it I believe that the psych eval is for those on certain medications.

Do you all have any idea about the pre op doet? Since I gained weight during my 6 mos diet :blink: I am going on a self induced pre op starting tomorrow.

thanks for the tip fordgal88.i went and got me a few cans of it. i got to go today for my preop, so im sure they well be putting me on a diet today.

aprilapple, i got bc/bs gov. and they only pay 100% for the hosptial and 50% to the surgern. so i got to pay a 300 dollar deposit today and the rest after they bill my insurance company. so your plan with bc/bs sound alot better then mine. im hoping that bc/bs will pay for the realize band. im going to ask today if i can get it.

well everyone its 7 more days.

thanks for the tip fordgal88.i went and got me a few cans of it. i got to go today for my preop, so im sure they well be putting me on a diet today.

aprilapple, i got bc/bs gov. and they only pay 100% for the hosptial and 50% to the surgern. so i got to pay a 300 dollar deposit today and the rest after they bill my insurance company. so your plan with bc/bs sound alot better then mine. im hoping that bc/bs will pay for the realize band. im going to ask today if i can get it.

Oh I bet you are getting nervous and excited all in one! Please let us know how you do and what we need to expect! :blink:

Jason, the docs will let you pick which band you want, but you need to let them know today at preop. I have the Realize band. I'm so excited for you, I can remember how I felt.

As far as preop diet, they only suggest a low fat, low carb diet two weeks prior to surgery. Of course, you'll be on all liquids the day before surgery.

Hi ya'll,

I did call bc bs today about my out of pocket expense. My outpatient out of pocket will be $75 an inpatient will be $100. I am covered at 100% for hospital and surgeon's costs. Pretty good huh?!

I am sorry I did not meet you guys on Sat. I had on a black dress with a black and white scarf in my hair.< /p>

Now that I think about it I believe that the psych eval is for those on certain medications.

Do you all have any idea about the pre op doet? Since I gained weight during my 6 mos diet :blink: I am going on a self induced pre op starting tomorrow.

I'm sorry we didn't meet you either! I hope you got all your questions answered. Unless you carry all your weight around your middle, they'll only suggest a two week low fat, low carb diet before surgery. In my nutrition class, Veronica looked around and said nobody in the group needed to worry about it. But, it is good practice and I lost 10 pounds in those two weeks!

I'm sorry we didn't meet you either! I hope you got all your questions answered. Unless you carry all your weight around your middle, they'll only suggest a two week low fat, low carb diet before surgery. In my nutrition class, Veronica looked around and said nobody in the group needed to worry about it. But, it is good practice and I lost 10 pounds in those two weeks!

Hey DI! I was thinking about going with the Realize band myself. There really isn't a difference except a bigger port and the hooks right? Which one did the dr's recommend to you?

I am doing high Protein low carb for two weeks and then the last week I am going to do a Protein Shake liquid diet. Losing ten pounds before surgery would be such a morale booster. Doing the preop will give me something to focus on for the next three weeks. Today is day one and so far so good. I may even start a blog when I get home.

Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus! I just got off the phone with BC/BS and the lady said I was medically approved!!! Hal a Lou ya! She said my letter to Dr Miles and me will go out today. Praise God, Praise God! I am bubbling with excitement.

Oh boy, now ya'll are talking about the realize band. I will have to do research on that one. Any explanations from ya'll would be appreciated. I want to be fully educated.

April-it sounds like you've got a good plan. You go girl!

Jason-plese continue to keep us updated. I am so proud for you.

Alagirl-your day for approval will come to. Keep praying.

Wendy-you are one of my inspirations.

Everyone-you're looking good-keep up the good work. The progress is really paying off.

Have a great day!!!

Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus! I just got off the phone with BC/BS and the lady said I was medically approved!!! Hal a Lou ya! She said my letter to Dr Miles and me will go out today. Praise God, Praise God! I am bubbling with excitement.

Oh boy, now ya'll are talking about the realize band. I will have to do research on that one. Any explanations from ya'll would be appreciated. I want to be fully educated.

April-it sounds like you've got a good plan. You go girl!

Jason-plese continue to keep us updated. I am so proud for you.

Alagirl-your day for approval will come to. Keep praying.

Wendy-you are one of my inspirations.

Everyone-you're looking good-keep up the good work. The progress is really paying off.

Have a great day!!!

Praise the Lord!

Oh girl I am so happy for you!!! I just have 3 weeks to go and I will get a surgery date. I will be fine then! Keep us up to date on your progress and processes, Dash...

Good Luck Jason! Keep us posted!

well went to the preop today. so now im just waiting until monday for them to call and let me know what time to be there tuesday. everyone was very nice today. dr.miles said i will most likey get the realize band but it debends on what it looks like inside. he told me on big guys sometime the realize band is to small. im hoping not, but time will tell. he gave me all the info on the diet for the day before and to take some nice bowel cleaner (fun day). im also down 1.5 more pounds.

alabamagirl- yes im getting nervous and excited.

NMYDASH- thanks

aprilapple goodluck with the diet, you can do it.

Oh my gosh there is so much positive energy on the board today!

nymy I know that you are on cloud nine

crazy you are on cloud ten. My surgery is the day after hours with schmitt. Who is doing yours?

Jason what made you choose realize? I thought about it but then I read somewhere that the new AP lapband had some of the same features that decreased erosion. What did the doc say?

thats great crazgril!

aprilapple- just the fact that the port is a better product. and the doctors perfer it now. its a 9cc band also.

i was sitting here thinking i wished i could have made it to the last support group. because the next one i go to i will be up front talking to everyone about it. kind of scarey there.

Wow! I don't check in one afternoon and somebody opened the flood gates! Congrats all around. I know now I'm going to have to check in more often, because I have a feeling this thread is about to explode!

Realize Band - You will read tons about it vs the Lap-Band here (most of it not true), but I will tell you what Dr. Schmitt told me. He said they are basically the same, the diference being the Realize Band is wider to reduce chances of slippage although there is no evidence to support this, and slippage is generally caused by what YOU do, not the band. The port is flat, but bigger around and he has had fewer complaints of port site pain, post surgergy (it's not sewn in). And they have a cool website to do your food/activity journal, etc, but AP is coming out with one too. All I can tell you is my own experience. I had very little port site pain, could only feel it getting up off the couch, etc. but if you hold a pillow to it as you get up, there's none. I never took any pain medication once I got home, other than liquid tylenol that night. I think my initial pain was from the hernia repair anyway, I don't really know.

In addition to dieting, you guys need to start exercising. It will really help you in your recovery. I'm serious! I know, I hate it too, but when that scale doesn't move, it's very motivating to see it drop when you do excercise.:thumbup:

I got my surgery date!!! Its on September 8... Im so happy but scared......

hey, how did they give you a surgery date already? do you not have to go though all of the other stuff? Your making me jealous!!! I have been waiting on Naomi to give me a surgery date since BCBS approved me back in March. I get my CPAP today so I can get that 14 days over with. She said after the 14 days, I will get my date. I hate waiting.....

Edited by alabamagirl1975