Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much can you eat????

Ok, I am now eating a little solid food but after reading about the PB'S I was wondering if someone can help me, how do you know that your stoma is full enough to stop?? I want to be good but at the same time I am a tad scared to eat.. Is it just me??? I thank you in advanced for your time....

I have not been banded yet, but I am close and I asked the same question. I was told there would be a pressure in your lower esophagus when you are full. I was told not to ingnore that as another bite might make me too full.

Ok, I am now eating a little solid food but after reading about the PB'S I was wondering if someone can help me, how do you know that your stoma is full enough to stop?? I want to be good but at the same time I am a tad scared to eat.. Is it just me??? I thank you in advanced for your time....

Some foods give you a signal when your pouch is full, and some foods do not. For example: popcorn, I can eat an entire bag of this and not get a 'full feeling'. But if I eat a strip of chicken breast, I feel stuffed (approx 6 oz). Another example: I can eat a bag of chips (any size) and not feel full afterwards, but I can eat a protien bar or a handful of cheese cubes and get that stuffed feeling on the last bite. And Im usually not hungry for a couple of hours afterwards.

It just depends on how fast the food goes through the stoma.

Hope this helps!

Lots of people experience the "full" feeling differently. Since your band is empty, it is possible that once you start on solid foods you will feel little to no restriction.

Since the feeling of restriction, however, can change day to day (sometimes hour to hour!), it is always important to take small bites, chew well, swallow, and then WAIT before going on to the next bite so you can have a chance to feel how the last bite is settling.

It is inevitable that you will eventually learn just how small your pouch really is... However, you can postpone that experience longer by taking small bites, chewing well, swallowing, and then waiting. This is NOT how most people eat, so you will be surprised at the learning curve!!

Okay, once you swallow, and are waiting, this is what you're looking for, sensation-wise - you may get all or just one of these signals that you are either "full" or are eating too fast/chewing too poorly:

1. STUCK. Okay, that's not a very good description, but as soon as you feel this you WILL KNOW what "STUCK" feels like. Your eyes will get big, you will freeze in mid-chew, and you will feel an awful pain high in your chest, way in the bottom of your throat. DO NOT PANIC!!! DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT take a sip of liquid!! DO NOT SWALLOW!!!! Sit there calmly and try to breathe normally. When people ask you what's wrong, you will not feel as though you can talk - if you can squeeze out a few words, your voice will sound raspy and strained. :) Sometimes standing up will be enough to help things move down a little bit. IF you start salivating, you need to get to a bathroom. DO NOT SWALLOW YOUR SALIVA!!! Spit it out. Lots of times you will feel stuck for only a few seconds before the offending bit passes, IF YOU ARE EATING SLOWLY AND PAYING ATTENTION AND CHEWING WELL. However, sometimes the offending bit will not pass, and it will either come back up on its own, or you will have to force yourself to vomit.

This is often NOT a full feeling! It IS an indication that you are swallowing too much, too fast, and/or are not chewing well enough OR that you have taken one bite too many. Once you become unstuck you can think enough to evaluate how much you have eaten, and whether or not you were being careless, or just missed the more subtle signs that you're full. STUCK is considered a "hard stop", whereas the more subtle feelings described later are considered "soft stops." The goal, of course, is to learn your personal soft stops and heed them. ;)

2. A hiccough. Many people will have one daintly little hiccough when they are full. When you're full your stomach may be pressing up on your diaphragm and irritating it a little bit, which translates into a hiccough.

3. A sigh. Many people will heave a little sigh after that last bite that makes them full. You THINK you're thinking about the next bite, and you'll be loading up that fork... But you're not putting it into your mouth. That's when you realize that you're full. One more bite, and you may suffer the dreaded STUCK feeling.

4. A runny nose. Many people's noses will unexplicably start running. If you were fine when you started eating, and now your nose is running, it's probably time to stop eating. Or you are eating something really, really spicy/hot!

5. A general pressure. Some people will feel a similar feeling to "full", just a little higher. It's a little disconcerting at first, because your lower stomach may still be growling, but your pouch is sending you pressure/full feelings.

6. Port pain. Your port may start aching. My theory as to why is that the pressure of the food is pressing against the saline in the band, which forces the saline out towards the tubing, which starts to straighten a little under pressure, which torques the port a little bit. Like a garden hose turned on full blast with the sprayer closed - it tries to straighten out, right? That's just my theory. But whatever the true reason is, if your port starts bugging you after you start eating, you may be full.

7. Shoulder pain. Some people's left shoulder starts to ache a little bit. This is referred pain from pressure on the diaphragm. When you're full your stomach may be pressing up on your diaphragm and irritating it a little bit, which translates into shoulder pain.

Your soft stop may be something entirely different, but these are the most common sensations/behaviours reported. Take it slow, but you may not experience any of these until you start getting fills.

Wow Donali, that was a great "feelie" kind of post. I think I'm full just reading it. I especially like the port explanation. Good Job!

I just started solids today, and had 2 pieces of toast with Peanut Butter. That made me full enough. However, it's not the stuffed full feeling, it's the, "Am I still hungry feeling." If you have to ask your self that question, then your satisfied and you don't need anymore food at that point.

Eating SLOW is so important. By the time your brain says, "STOP!", your already in risk of a PB. SO give your brain some time to catch up with your tummy.

Great description Donali, I have had all of those except shoulder pain. Hiccups are my most common sign that I've had enough, though I usually have more than one.

Tarafeena, She's right do not swallow your saliva...The saliva is very thick, abundant and slimy... hence the term sliming...and will make you feel worse if you swallow it.

WOW!!! DINALI, Thank you so much for your post, if I could touch you, I would give you a big hug... So kind of you to take your time for me.. Your post hast already helped me today, My left sholder was hurting so I stoped eating and within 30 sec. I could feel a fullness. Then 10 min. later or so, it felt as though my port was throbing??? And I have had this before but just thought is was part of the healing process, well now I know that its a sign....And thanks for the heads up on not to swallow the saliva because I'm sure that would have been the first thing that I did...Again THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Your the bomb!!!

Tara

Thank you Paula, I'm going to try cheese cubes, they sound yummy...

Some foods give you a signal when your pouch is full, and some foods do not. For example: popcorn, I can eat an entire bag of this and not get a 'full feeling'. But if I eat a strip of chicken breast, I feel stuffed (approx 6 oz). Another example: I can eat a bag of chips (any size) and not feel full afterwards, but I can eat a protien bar or a handful of cheese cubes and get that stuffed feeling on the last bite. And Im usually not hungry for a couple of hours afterwards.

It just depends on how fast the food goes through the stoma.

Hope this helps!

Donali, that was truly an awesome post. Once again, you are my rockin' hero. ;)

Everything she said was right on the money. You will learn your own personal stop signals. Mine are the deep breath, usually followed by a couple of hiccups about three minutes after I've stopped eating.

And I can vouch for the negative effects of swallowing that saliva. Man, is that the wrong thing to do. I've had a tiny stuckage turn into the PB from hell just because I didn't feel like going to the sink to get rid of the saliva. Do yourself a favor,

spit it out. Trust us on this one.

Thank you Alex, I won't be swallowing it at all... I'm not looking foward to my first PB in the least.... I am hoping to avoid all together if it's possable... Is It?? Thanks for your time..

Tara

Donali~ I'm getting banded tomorrow and I am so glad to have found this post before hand.(TrishS pm me and told me about it) Thanks Trish!!!I made a copy of it for future reference. It is such good info to have and I agree with everyone... you always have a way with words and are so helpful in explaining things. THANK YOU !!!!!